Pro Wrestling Only

26th March - 1st April WWE

FMKK

Ronda's promo was pretty cringeworthy last night. We had this discussion awhile back but I wonder how long they go before they have someone talk for her. I know people don't want Heyman in that spot but I'm struggling to think of another name. A name wwe considers big enough to be in that spot

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ronda was never a good promo, even by MMA standards where most of the time the best ones sound like they're doing a pro wrestler imitation.

The funny part is Dave mentioned the company doesn't want Heyman in that role because they don't want him paired with someone who will ultimately get the best of Stephanie. Ronda's been so bad at promos so far someone needs to be there and god knows Kurt's not the one do to it.

Daniel Bryan has turned into a fantastic promo. The criticisms of his talking in the 2013/2014 era seem to be disappearing. Shane turning on him seems like the obvious finish as I said when they announced Bryan was returning to the ring.

Also sounds like he is not going to GM that much longer after that promo

Ronda was never a good promo, even by MMA standards where most of the time the best ones sound like they're doing a pro wrestler imitation.

This is why it always cracked me when Dave or other people would talk about what a great heel Ronda was in the UFC. The reason why she was good in the Meisha Tate feud wasn't because she playing a character or working a storyline it was because she absolutely hated Meisha's guts and wanted to break her arm It was legit. Now she has to pretend to hate people and so far it isn't working

I hate the stipulation in the Bryan/Shane tag match because it just gives away the finish so easy. Now the thing is how are the going to do it. I hope it is just Shane turning heel because turning Daniel heel and working for Owens/Zayn is incredibly dumb.

Ronda's aura in MMA was being a silent ass kicker with the world's scariest mean face. It was always a long shot she would go into wrestlng and suddenly have Austin like promo skills. She should come out, break people's arms, and leave. Kinda like how Lucha Underground did with Pentagon Jr.

It'll be fine for Mania, Steph will bump like crazy for her, Ronda will arm bar her, and the place will pop like crazy. The problem will be 6 months later when she's in a match with someone who isn't going to be able to carry their end of the deal as much, and ends up looking like a green pro wrestler instead of the biggest badass on Earth.

Not to mention Shayna's in NXT already basically being what they want Ronda to be right now.

Ronda was a great heel in the UFC not because she hated people, but because she was petty and petulant. She had an interview on Golic and Wingo the other day where she was being classic heel Ronda, pretending like she didn't understand a question she didn't want to answer and trying to bully her way out of it. That is when her awkwardness and general lack of charisma actually works to make her less likable. It is going to take time for them to find that pacing for her in the WWE and they obviously couldnt come out the gates with it, but that is their best bet if they want to harness who she is (or at least seems to be) into her character.

Daniel Bryan has turned into a fantastic promo. The criticisms of his talking in the 2013/2014 era seem to be disappearing. Shane turning on him seems like the obvious finish as I said when they announced Bryan was returning to the ring.

Also sounds like he is not going to GM that much longer after that promo

I’m holding out hope Bryan mentioning Smackdown specifically during that promo means that he will win and Owens/Zayn are just switching shows. Could still have Shane turn and Bryan overcome it all and then have Shane take over Raw and hire them back there since there is a shakeup coming right after Mania by the sound of it.

The downside is that Raw would suck.

Ronda was a great heel in the UFC not because she hated people, but because she was petty and petulant. She had an interview on Golic and Wingo the other day where she was being classic heel Ronda, pretending like she didn't understand a question she didn't want to answer and trying to bully her way out of it. That is when her awkwardness and general lack of charisma actually works to make her less likable. It is going to take time for them to find that pacing for her in the WWE and they obviously couldnt come out the gates with it, but that is their best bet if they want to harness who she is (or at least seems to be) into her character.

I saw people talking about that interview as if she was an idiot and didn't understand the question but to me it was so obvious that she was batting it away. I kind of enjoyed how she did it too. Maybe the answer to her WWE promo situation is to have Renee or someone in the ring interviewing her so there's someone to kind of lead her through the talking segments.

This could be a case like Undertaker-Shane where they do the finish they want to do, then do whatever they want after the match and just ignore the stips. Shane wasn't supposed to have control of RAW unless he won, and he was running the show the next night. Owens and Zayn could stay fired and be on Smackdown a couple of days later anyway.

Sasha Banks insisting on doing her own make-up is the smartest career move. What the hell did they do to Ronda's eyes.

Isn't her boyfriend/fiancee/whatever a makeup artist? Would explain why she's the only one who doesn't look like Heath Ledger.

Her husband is Mikaze who is a costume designer, makes all her gear for her (and New Day and some others). Sasha's really into make-up and does hers herself.

I saw people talking about that interview as if she was an idiot and didn't understand the question but to me it was so obvious that she was batting it away. I kind of enjoyed how she did it too. Maybe the answer to her WWE promo situation is to have Renee or someone in the ring interviewing her so there's someone to kind of lead her through the talking segments.

I feel like there's a truckload of people that would benefit from the old Mean Gene style of interviewing, to be honest. Not that the nursery rhymes and super-fake-intense shoot comments have helped him any, but I still feel like Roman's best interview was that "Baby Girl" segment with the Shield and Renee just standing there in the ring doing a post-match humble brag. I know some folks are big on the Cena stuff and now some of the Brock buildup, but nah. I've yet to see that one topped. Simple, straightforward, and organic. He came across like, ya know, an actual human being just interacting with other living organisms - not some 15 minute monologue of terrible dialogue.

The 15 minutes monologue promo is probably the very worst heritage of the Attitude Era. It's a big part of why WWE TV is unbearable to me and why all this talk of 'X or Y is a great promo' doesn't fly with me in these times of completely scripted stuff.

Do short backstage promos without awkward pauses. Get an interviewer who actually helps the talent, not hinders them (that short girl who asks the dumbest questions ever). Let the guys go on the fly and don't script every damn word. Anyway, I'm yelling at clouds at this point.

I don't know how many folks still listen to Cornette's podcast (it's actually gotten really great again lately), but he pretty much NAILED it regarding the Daniel Bryan return and its possibilities moving forward.

There's no way in hell there should be any talk or suggestion of Daniel turning heel. I know I've seen it suggested, but that should be the furthest thing from reality.

Corny mentioned that the sign of a great promoter isn't in planning the perfect booking scenario, because plans get screwed up all the time. But the true sign of a great promoter is in capitalizing and running with something whenever something perfect lines up & lands right in your lap.

... Like the Bryan return - the return of a guy everyone believed could be permanently retired. The return of an honest to God fan favorite that was taken away at the top of his game. It's a gift. It's a Godsend. There's no way in hell they should screw this up.

But, well, you know...

I don't know how many folks still listen to Cornette's podcast (it's actually gotten really great again lately), but he pretty much NAILED it regarding the Daniel Bryan return and its possibilities moving forward.

There's no way in hell there should be any talk or suggestion of Daniel turning heel. I know I've seen it suggested, but that should be the furthest thing from reality.

Corny mentioned that the sign of a great promoter isn't in planning the perfect booking scenario, because plans get screwed up all the time. But the true sign of a great promoter is in capitalizing and running with something whenever something perfect lines up & lands right in your lap.

... Like the Bryan return - the return of a guy everyone believed could be permanently retired. The return of an honest to God fan favorite that was taken away at the top of his game. It's a gift. It's a Godsend. There's no way in hell they should screw this up.

But, well, you know...

The only way I wanted Bryan turned heel was if he WASN'T cleared and it was all a big swerve on the fans and Shane. That would have garnered real, visceral heat, moneymaking heat at a time where almost nothing like that draws. Once he took the first bump, it was obvious that wasn't the case.