Pro Wrestling Only

[1989-02-22-NJPW] Antonio Inoki vs Riki Choshu

Jetlag

Why doesn't this get brought up among „passing the torch“ type matches more often? It's quite the epic destruction of Inoki.Choshu immediately catches Inoki in a nasty headscissor and almost cranks his neck. Now Inoki wants a fight, throwing fists and all, but Choshu immediately nukes him with suplexes. A lariat should finish the job, but Inoki narrowly escapes and hangs on by a thread. Choshu is totally the dominant force in this though. Inoki hits some fast enzuigiris and they trade awesome punches and headbutts and this is great. Choshu ain't selling crap from this fossil though and another back suplex later he starts hitting the lariats. Choshu is like an airplane flying around Inoki now and just dropping him again and again. After like 20 lariats even Inoki has had enough. If you wonder why Inoki worshipper Yuki Ishikawa wrestles the way he does check out this match. Inoki's time had come, and Choshu was the cold blooded killer to put the old gunslinger down.

• GSR changed the title to [1989-02-22-NJPW] Antonio Inoki vs Riki Choshu
  • 2 months later...

It is interesting that you bring why this match is not discussed more and I was wondering the same thing. Inoki puts Choshu pretty clean as a sheet (Choshu does use a closed fist to take control, but Inoki also uses closed fists). I wonder if it is because there really was not much of a "Choshu Era". He wins the World Cup tournament at the end of the year, but he does not figure very prominently into the Big Famous Dome show. He does win the IWGP Championship but only holds it for a month before dropping it to Vader. In a lot of ways, he is sharing the spotlight with Fujinami & Vader from 89-91. By 92, Muta wins the IWGP Title and ushers in the Three Musketeers Era. It was almost too late for the torch passing to Choshu . The other thing is I think American fans prefer All Japan both due to the in-ring work and that the booking is done in a more traditional American style. New Japan booking can be haphazard and without an official guide and it can look aimless and capricious. So I think a lot of New Japan's history is unknown to American fans. 

Antonio Inoki vs Riki Choshu - NJPW 2/22/89

A perfect example of New Japan's veiled history as this turns out to be one of those rare Inoki clean jobs that almost feels like he is passing the torch to Riki Choshu, but is almost never discussed. Inoki puts Choshu pretty clean as a sheet (Choshu does use a closed fist to take control, but Inoki also uses closed fists). I wonder if it is because there really was not much of a "Choshu Era". He wins the World Cup tournament at the end of the year, but he does not figure very prominently into the Big Famous Dome show. He does win the IWGP Championship but only holds it for a month before dropping it to Vader. In a lot of ways, he is sharing the spotlight with Fujinami & Vader from 89-91. By 92, Muta wins the IWGP Title and ushers in the Three Musketeers Era. It was almost too late for the torch passing to Choshu . The other thing is I think American fans prefer All Japan both due to the in-ring work and that the booking is done in a more traditional American style. New Japan booking can be haphazard and without an official guide and it can look aimless and capricious. That's why I think a lot of New Japan's history is unknown to American fans.

As for the match, I enjoyed this one. I watched it on a whim because it is the two biggest Japanese stars of all time in a pretty well-regarded match (#40 on DVDVR), little did I know I was going to watch Choshu repeatedly TRUCK Inoki with lariats onto what should be the biggest wins of his career. The beginning of the match is pretty pedestrian, but it  picks up once they start throwing headbutts in a lock up and Choshu just chucks Inoki around. Inoki gives as good as he gets hitting enziguiris and some signature suplexes. However, it is a Choshu closed fist that at first Inoki no sells, but he is stunned enough for Choshu to clock him with another one. Inoki tries one of his fiery comebacks with fists but Choshu just chucks Inoki with big time Saito Suplexes and Inoki has no choice but to go flying in the air. It being Inoki it takes about 8 million Lariats to put him down but he finally succumbs. I will say some of those Lariats looked ferocious! Definitely a great Clash of Titans match made greater by the surprising, clean finish! ****

• 2 years later...

Wow! I have no recollection of watching this at all. I watched three Inoki vs Choshu matches prior to this one. I didnt even remember Inoki putting over Choshu. I agree with myself almost 100%. I have noticed that I tend to agree with myself which is why I do rarely go back and watch matches if I reviewed them because my reviews are congruent with how I feel about the match. I will say one thing that the context did for me actually subtracted from this match as I enjoyed their July 88 sprint when Choshu wins by pinfall more than this. A rare instance where watching more context actually takes away from a match. The July 88 match Inoki is a bit distracted by the ref and the finish is more sudden. This one is more of a battle of will and Choshu pummels Inoki into submission. Other than that, I wouldnt describe the first five minutes as pedestrian as there was a lot of grit and struggle, I think what I should have said is that is not a narrative-building five minutes but sets a tone. The headbutts caught my eye both times. Choshu demolishes Inoki with a pair of Saito Suplexes and Inoki retaliates with a flash Fujiwara Armbar that would have been perfect if he didnt fumble Choshu's arm on the way down. I loved Inoki's use of the Enziguiri on the subsequent Test of Strength to rattle Choshu set up the double wristlock into the Short Arm Scissors, which I am surprised I didnt mention in the original review. The Choshu punch and Inoki's sell is pitch perfect and everything after that is just Strong Style Choshu Pro Wrestling done to perfection. I like the February & July 88 matches more but this is still great. I totally agree with my original rating. ****