Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 2nd - 8th April 2018 (Wrestlemania Go Home Shows)

FMKK

Populist isn't a good thing, just saying. And really, don't turn every topic into politic stuff. The name is PWO for a reason. The politic & wrestling stuff have a place in the Industrial Suplex sub-forum for a reason. I wasn't making a political statement myself, it was, you know, a sort of a joke.

Sorry for that friend and I was backing up you up in my own way

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to Cena on Chris Hardwick's ID10T Podcast and right around minute 28, he talks about how he is criticized for calling spots. He says he doesn't care that the fans "snarkily" watching at home or the fans in the first 6 rows can see him telling his opponent what to do or what he's going to do. He says he is trying to please the fans in Section 313.

I respect his honesty and that he calls it in the ring, but other wrestlers have called it in the ring without telegraphing as much as he has been doing, especially over the past 6 months. I mean, talk into your bicep, get the guy in a corner or a headlock and say something in his ear, do what you can if you can. At times, like the Rumble, Cena is literally dictating the match as its happening.

So far, 30 minutes in, this is a fascinating listen, though. Recommended for sure.

I've wondered for years why, if Cena has no intention of changing his ways, WWE doesn't shoot his matches from further back. And turn down the ring mics.

And, just to be clear, I'm a Cena fan, so its not like I'm trying to disparage the guy's whole career. A few pages back I even implied he might be the most versatile promo ever too. I just found this particular point to be worth discussing because I'd never heard him actually speak about it.

I don't know if he's the most versatile. I get your logic behind the statement, but I just disagree. He has range, for sure. But I remain unconvinced that Cena's actually any good at gauging a crowd, an environment, and *especially* a situation to get a real read for what type of promo or approach is needed. I guess some would argue that he simply does as he's directed to do, but ideally the top guy should know the value in making adjustments and reacting accordingly.

Can Cena do serious? Sure. Can he go comedic? Yup. But I don't really know how effective he is at either, because he's rarely ever using the right method at the right moment. Too often, he's cracking corny jokes when the situation calls for no bullshit. And he'll just randomly roam into full blown southern preacher mode for no good reason at times.

So yeah. He's versatile. But when he's incapable of knowing when or where to use each style, then it's odd and just as ineffective as being a one-note promo guy in anyhow. So, while it may be a net positive in his favor, it's not a skill I'd say he's mastered. A dialed in Cena is great on the rare occasion you can get it, but his comedy is cringingly bad. And his serious southern accent is all over the map most of the time.

The spot calling thing reminded me of my favorite kayfabulous moments watching as a kid. One guy had his opponent in a rear chin lock and was obviously calling spots, and Jesse without missing a beat was all "see that Gorilla, he's talking trash while he has his man trapped in a hold! I used to do that when I wrestled". And just like that, 8 year old me was satisfied with that explanation rather than what was clearly going on.

Yes, we know. Cena isn't Volk Han. I am so glad you've come into yet another thread to tell us how you judge workers and not meaningfully contribute to what is actually being talked about. You obviously don't care about modern WWE, so why in the hell are you in this thread in the first place!!

I'm sorry everyone. I really enjoy coming here and reading interesting takes by intelligent people (which is rare on the internet) on a hobby that I have enjoyed since I was a kid, and I am just tired of seeing this troll pop up in every fucking thread to talk about how he rates workers based on realism. We get it.. Shit.

The cena calling spots and his justification for it is bullshit. Most every other wrestler can seem to do it without telegraphing it to the world. I'm not saying that every wrestler hasn't been able to hide the fact they are calling a spot but we don't hear it so it doesn't affect the match.

It's one thing to have a wrestler do it, but that referee in nxt with eyebrows(sorry don't know his name) is taking the piss with him shouting "kick out" during a pin cover is a disaster. I've never heard any ref do that.

The spot calling thing reminded me of my favorite kayfabulous moments watching as a kid. One guy had his opponent in a rear chin lock and was obviously calling spots,and Jesse without missing a beat was all "see that Gorilla, he's talking trash while he has his man trapped in a hold! I used to do that when I wrestled". And just like that, 8 year old me was satisfied with that explanation rather than what was clearly going on.

Seeing a guys lips move and knowing he is calling a spot happens all the time in wrestling and nothing you can do about that with cameras around. But could you hear it on the tv ?

Yes, we know. Cena isn't Volk Han. I am so glad you've come into yet another thread to tell us how you judge workers and not meaningfully contribute to what is actually being talked about. You obviously don't care about modern WWE, so why in the hell are you in this thread in the first place!!

I'm sorry everyone. I really enjoy coming here and reading interesting takes by intelligent people (which is rare on the internet) on a hobby that I have enjoyed since I was a kid, and I am just tired of seeing this troll pop up in every fucking thread to talk about how he rates workers based on realism. We get it.. Shit.

i never brought up any one i said you may see cena as a good worker i do not

im not a troll i come here to debate not get attacked i like to see expantions of why people see cena as a good worker that do not in fact see

The spot calling thing reminded me of my favorite kayfabulous moments watching as a kid. One guy had his opponent in a rear chin lock and was obviously calling spots,and Jesse without missing a beat was all "see that Gorilla, he's talking trash while he has his man trapped in a hold! I used to do that when I wrestled". And just like that, 8 year old me was satisfied with that explanation rather than what was clearly going on.

Seeing a guys lips move and knowing he is calling a spot happens all the time in wrestling and nothing you can do about that with cameras around. But could you hear it on the tv ?

It's a big reason why so many wrestlers used to have long hair. It helped disguise/hide their moving lips when they were communicating in the ring. Part of the reason it seems so much worse now than it used to is that WWE keeps making guys get haircuts. Sounds silly, but it's true.

I'm stuck here at work, putting in some easy voluntary overtime hours on a slow weekend. So, while NXT Takeover will have to wait until Monday for me, I've been meandering around YouTube for a bit.

Anyway, did anyone check out the 30-minute special they did on Nakamura's road to the title or whatever? Sorry if it's been mentioned elsewhere already, but I was just wondering if it was worth the half-hour investment or just some typical, throwaway stuff.

It's a big reason why so many wrestlers used to have long hair. It helped disguise/hide their moving lips when they were communicating in the ring. Part of the reason it seems so much worse now than it used to is that WWE keeps making guys get haircuts. Sounds silly, but it's true.

I always assumed it was because the visual of the hair flipping made everything look good.