AWA results for March 1986

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 spaldoni

spaldoni
  • Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:38 PM

Couple of outstanding cards. Spivey continues his rise to super star status. Larry Z seems to be making a comeback with Saito as his partner. Peterson and Gaylord continue to impress in the tag team ranks as Tom Zenk continues to move up the singles ranks. Black Irish are looking dominant. I like the Kabuki/Blackwell feud as both seem to be trading count out wins, which I'm sure is setting up for a big blow off. Piper gets a classic heel Piper victory over Jake. That 8 man tag would of given me my money's worth, man that looked insane. Cobra Corps might be in line for a tag title shot now. Tanaka and Adams put on a classic. I really like how you balance your cards out. Something for everybody.

#22 GeneJackson95

GeneJackson95

King of All Wrestling Media

• Members
  • 886 posts
  • Interests:Pro Wrestling (obviously), Comedy, and that's about it.

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:33 PM

Another series of great cards. Count me in as a fan of the Steamboat/Garvin tag team. Jake vs. Piper is an awesome fued.

#23 rainmakerrtv

rainmakerrtv
  • Members
  • 1703 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 02:19 PM

AWA All-Star Wrestling on ESPN / TSN for April 11th

Larry Zbyszko & Masa Saito vs. Bill Dundee & Shane Douglas

Larry Z has suffered some rather embarrassing setbacks of late, but recently seems to be getting back on course by teaming with the Silent Assassin, Masa Saito. Saito’s stern and stoic nature has been acting to keep Larry’s more high strung and loud mouthed tendencies in check, and did them well in this match with the popular veteran Dundee and the fresh-faced rookie Douglas. Dundee and Douglas put up a valiant effort, but when Saito and Larry caught Douglas in their corner and started working over his leg, he just couldn’t make it out to his partner before he finally gave in to a figure four by Larry. It looks like Zbyszko is inching his way back to respectability, but only time will tell how long this lasts.

Nord The Barbarian vs. Ken Patera

A match of titans, with Nord and Patera blasting each other with big moves and slams. These two threatened to break the ring with their power offense as the momentum of the match swung back and forth. Patera caught Nord in a powerslam in the corner and looked set to  put him away with a second turnbuckle kneedrop, but Nord rolled out of the way at the last second. Nord then came  back with his own running knee drop and got the one two three, scoring his highest profile victory yet in what many consider to be an upset.

Darryl Peterson & Jeff Gaylord vs. Mando & Hector Guerrero

Peterson and Gaylord were accompanied by Kevin Sullivan, and appear to be the brutal teacher’s pets of the Varsity Club Rush. Sullivan nodded in approval at every nasty tactic they pulled off against the Guerreros, who fought back with their own series of double teams and short cuts. It looked like it might be all over for the Varsity Club when Mando was setting up Gaylord for the Gori Special, but Peterson charged in and attacked, not Mando, but the ref to prevent the submission. The two sides continued brawling until Sullivan ordered his men from the ring. While the Club lost by DQ, Sullivan congratulated them as though they had won, clearly pleased by their refusal to respect the AWA officials or the rules.

Bob Orton vs. Jake Roberts

The war between the Snakepit and Piper’s Pit rolls on, with Orton being backed by Roddy Piper while the Snake had Cactus Jack in his corner. The ref certainly had his hands full, trying to keep control over the action both inside the ring and outside of it. Orton brought his considerable expertise to the fore as he dominated much of the match, but the incredible guile of the Snake kept pulling him out of danger. Roddy Piper climbed onto the ringside apron to try to tip the scales in favor of his man, but he found himself tackled to the floor by Cactus Jack. In the ensuing confusion, Orton turned around and walked straight into the DDT by Roberts for the pinfall. After the match, Piper was staring balefully and pointing, not at Roberts, but Cactus, swearing that he would take care of him.

Ron Garvin & British Steel vs. Chris Adams & The British Bullies

Chris Adams has impressed a lot of people of late, even though he has been working on the wrong side of the fence, with a series of matches where he has gone the distance with a number of singles champions. Adams, though, has indicated his frustration with those matches, and is clearly determined to prove that he is worthy of championship gold. For this match, he brought in his partners in the British Bullies to challenge the Canadian Champion and British Steel. Adams was clearly targeting Garvin, challenging him any time he stepped into the ring and sending his partners out of the ring when the tried to come in for double teams, insisting he would take out Adams on his own. Garvin clearly relished the opportunity to throw down with Adams, and the duel of stiff chops and crushing judo throws had the audience at the edge of their seats. Garvin whipped Adams into the ropes to finish him off with the Hands Of Stone Punch, but Adams ducked at the last second and came back with a Superkick, scoring a shocking pinfall. Adams was jubilant and, after the match, got on the match and challenged Garvin for the Canadian Title in Winnipeg, with Garvin nodding his head to accept the challenge.

AWA Southern Title Match : Pat Tanaka © vs. Brian Pillman

Pillman has proved himself as one of the standouts of the Varsity Club Rush,  having a spectacular series of both singles matches and tag victories, teaming with his good friend Ron Simmons. Simmons was absent from the proceedings, having left early for a Japanese show for which Pillman would soon be leaving, but Pillman was supported (if you could call it that) by the “Games Master” Kevin Sullivan, along with fellow Varsity Club Rush recruits Peterson and Gaylord. The champion was accompanied by his manager, Sunshine, along with her bodyguard, the Great Kabuki. Both sides avoided direct involvement in the match, letting it be solely contested by the champion and challenger in an exciting showdown of Tanaka’s martial arts expertise against Pillman’s cutting edge high flying. The crowd was deeply involved in this hotly contested bout, which seemed like it could end at any second. It looked like Pillman would take his first AWA gold when he had Tanaka lined up for the Air Pillman, but he ended up leaping straight into a spinning roundhouse kick to the jaw. Tanaka fell on him for the cover and was able to get the three count. When Pillman made it back to his feet, Sullivan berated him for the loss, slapping the back of his head. Pillman, having put up with Sullivan’s abuse for months and having just given his all in a very tough match, finally had enough, slapping his face. Sullivan was livid and directed Peterson and Gaylord to attack Pillman, and the two gleefully battered him and set him up for the Execution. Tanaka and Kabuki, swinging his nunchaku, charged in and broke it up, saving Pillman from serious damage. As they helped up Pillman, Sullivan got on the house mic and said that Pillman never had what it takes, and he was now officially cut from the Varsity Club Rush.

#24 SirEdger

SirEdger

Eternal nostalgic...especially about wrestling

• Members
  • 2593 posts
  • Interests:Pro wrestling, fantasy booking, hockey, football, history, UFC, baseball, video games, reading.

Posted 09 April 2018 - 02:32 PM

Exactly what Pillman needed, a blessing in disguise. Watch him take off within the AWA.

#25 rainmakerrtv

rainmakerrtv
  • Members
  • 1703 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 02:51 PM

This is where the Varsity Club Rush angle is coming to a boil.

#26 spaldoni

spaldoni
  • Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 06:35 PM

Outstanding TV! Yea, Nord's win over Patera is a big one. Gaylord and Peterson are on a roll and Sullivan has them on a path of destruction. Looks like Saito is bringing Larry Z's focus back...for now. Adams earns a shot at Garvin. That is an intriguing match and would get my money. Roberts takes out Orton with the DDT! I'm all for a Piper/Cactus brawl. Sullivan might think he has the upper hand on Pillman but he better think again. I'm looking forward to a focused Pillman who doesn't have to be distracted by Sullivan.  

#27 kevinmcfl

kevinmcfl
  • Members
  • 2004 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 07:17 PM

i just love Sullivan in this role

#28 gordi

gordi

monster gaijin

• Members
  • 1827 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 08:20 PM

Huge win for Big John.

Imagine choosing Maxx Payne and Jeff "Worst Interviews Ever" Gaylord over Brian Pillman. That's Sullivan for you, though. He's nothing if not unpredictable. Looking forward to Pillman working as more of a good guy once he returns from Japan.

Snake Pit vs Piper's Pit continues to bring the goods every week. That's a great feud.

Garvin vs Adams will be a good one!

#29 dawho5

dawho5
  • Members
  • 3851 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 11:16 PM

I for one can't wait for Piper and Cactus to tear the building apart.  Larry and Adams both get huge wins.  Pillman is finally free of Sullivan and I love seeing it.

#30 rainmakerrtv

rainmakerrtv
  • Members
  • 1703 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:54 AM

AWA show from the Cow Palace, San Francisco, April 11th (as shown on ESPN / TSN Super Cards)

Bill Dundee vs. Chavo Guerrero

Dundee caught Chavo with a running cross body press, but Chavo countered it with a rollover and fistful of trunks for the pinfall

The Great Kabuki & The Razor Boys vs Jerry Blackwell, Ken Patera & Sheikh Adnan Al-Kaissie

Kabuki pinned Kaissie after a thrust kick to the jaw

Brian Pillman vs. Hector Guerrero

Pillman won with the Air Pillman

Dan Spivey & Mike Rotundo vs. Bob Orton & Buzz Sawyer

Spivey beat Sawyer with the Spivey Bomber

Shane Douglas vs. Chris Adams

Douglas gave Adams quite the fight but ended up going down to the Superkick

AWA Southern Tag Team Title Match : Black Irish © vs. The Can-Am Express

Black Irish took out Lafon with the Spike Piledriver to defend their titles

AWA World Title Match : Ricky Steamboat © vs. Nick Bockwinkel

A masterpiece of technical wrestling that went to a 30 minute draw

#31 rainmakerrtv

rainmakerrtv
  • Members
  • 1703 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 09:23 AM

AWA show from the Portland Memorial Coliseum, Portland, February 12th

Doug Furnas vs. Tom Zenk

Furnas was going for the running Canadian backbreaker into the corner, but Zenk countered by sliding down his back and sending him chest first into the corner, then caught him coming out with a schoolboy rollup assisted by a fistful of trunks to get the pinfall

Jeff Gaylord & Darryl Peterson vs. Mando & Hector Guerrero

The Varsity Club won with the Execution on Mando

Sgt. Slaughter vs. Leo Burke

Sarge made Burke give up to the Cobra Clutch

The Sheepherders vs. Shane Douglas & Bill Dundee

The Sheepherders hit a double stomach breaker on Douglas for the win

Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Phil Lafon

Bigelow got the victory with the Nuclear Splash

Steven Regal vs. Dave Taylor

A long technical match that ended up coming to a very sudden end when Regal knocked out Taylor with the Iron Fist Punch

Greg Gagne vs. Chris Adams

Gagne was trying to lock in the Gagne Sleeper when Adams blocked it and hit a belly to back suplex for the one two three

AWA Southern Title Match : Pat Tanaka © vs. Norman Smiley

Another technical match that ended by knockout with Tanaka hitting the crane kick to the jaw on Smiley to defend his belt

AWA World Tag Team Title Match : Buddy Rose & Doug Somers © vs. Rocky Mountain Thunder

While Rose distracted White into chasing him around the ring, Somers hit a brain buster on Scorpio to score the victory.

AWA American Title Match : Dan Spivey © vs. Roddy Piper

Plenty of mayhem, as could be expected from a Roddy Piper match. Spivey won by DQ when he was attacked by Bob Orton. Mike Rotundo came in to even the sides and both factions brawled long after the bell.

#32 gordi

gordi

monster gaijin

• Members
  • 1827 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 09:45 AM

Man, your roster is so stacked. You could practically just pull names out of a hat and get one good match-up after another. Both of those cards look like so much fun. Very well booked!

I think my top 3 would have been:

3) Bigelow vs Lafon

2) Regal vs Taylor

1) Steamboat vs Bock

#33 dawho5

dawho5
  • Members
  • 3851 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 12:55 PM

Steamer vs. Bock again going to a draw.  Zenk using the tights?  Bigelow vs. LaFon would have been such an interesting match-up.  Regal vs. Taylor is always a great match-up.  Tanaka getting the push he always should have is great.  Piper vs. Hogan-but-not-quite is a fun feud.

#34 SirEdger

SirEdger

Eternal nostalgic...especially about wrestling

• Members
  • 2593 posts
  • Interests:Pro wrestling, fantasy booking, hockey, football, history, UFC, baseball, video games, reading.

Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:10 PM

Pat Tanaka pulling off a pretty good run as Southern champion! For a tag team guy, he's doing well!

#35 kevinmcfl

kevinmcfl
  • Members
  • 2004 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 05:52 PM

Another nice set of cards.  Steamboat vs Bock was exciting but I few the other two so differently.  I thought Steamboat was under rated and was awesome while I remember Bock with mixed feelings.  He always seemed to bore me a bit but always thought he deserved respect for being one of the best.  Kinda like Larry Z but I was only 10 or so.  How good were these 2 in your eyes?

#36 spaldoni

spaldoni
  • Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:14 PM

Couple of great shows here. Pillman/Hector is a gem. I like the teaming of Spivey and Rotunda and they get a big win over Orton and Sawyer. Black Irish continue their winning ways. That Steamboat/Bock match is an instant classic.

Zenk bending the rules a bit to get the win, wonder where this is going. Gaylord and Peterson are rising up the ranks quickly. Love the Regal/Taylor match. Tanaka is proving to be a great fit as Southern Champ, I think he's in line for a world title shot. Speaking of champs, Rose and Sommers continue to be one of my favorite tag teams. That Spivey/Piper match would of been awesome to see live. Looks like we could be seeing a Spivey/Rotunda-Piper's Pit feud down the line.

#37 rainmakerrtv

rainmakerrtv
  • Members
  • 1703 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:09 AM

AWA show from McArthur Court, Eugene, April 13th

Mike Rotundo & Doug Furnas vs. The British Bullies

The Varsity Club took down Jones with a double dropkick to get the victory

Larry Cameron vs. Mando Guerrero

Cameron won with a power slam

The Razor Boys vs. Chavo & Hector Guerrero

The Razor Boys executed the Straight Razor on Hector to score the win

Fit Finlay vs. Norman Smiley

Finlay made Smiley give up to the Indian Deathlock

Ron Garvin & The Can-Am Express vs. Kevin Sullivan, Jeff Gaylord & Darryl Peterson

Zenk pinned Sullivan after hitting a superkick

Bob Orton vs. Chris Adams

Orton was going for a superplex, but Adams countered with a cross body in mid air and got the pin

Sgt. Slaughter vs. Bam Bam Bigelow

Sarge won by DQ when Bigelow avalanched the ref

AWA Southern Title Match : Pat Tanaka © vs. Steven Regal

A duel of Tanaka trying to knock out Regal with the Rolling Wheel Kick and Regal, in turn , looking to knock out Tanaka with the Iron Fist Punch went to a 20 minute time limit draw

Falls Count Anywhere Match : Roddy Piper vs. Cactus Jack

An insane brawl that ended when Piper hit the Piledriver on Cactus on the concrete to get the victory

AWA World Tag Team Title Match : Buddy Rose & Doug Somers © vs. Shane Douglas & Bill Dundee

Douglas was trying to execute a belly to belly suplex on Rose when Somers clobbered him in the back of the head with the loaded elbow pad to score a tainted win for his team

AWA American Title Match : Dan Spivey © vs. Buzz Sawyer

Sawyer put up a ferocious fight but ultimately went down to the Spivey Bomber

#38 spaldoni

spaldoni
  • Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 06:23 PM

This kind of card is the reason the AWA would keep me buying tickets. The Guerreros seem to be slipping lately. Zenk continues to shine as he gets the pin on Sullivan in the 6 man tag. Slaughter/Bam Bam is an awesome clash and the finish hopefully sets up a rematch. Regal has a great showing against a red hot Tanaka. Good grief, that Piper/Jack match looked off the charts! Piper with a brutal victory. Rose and Sommers retain. I wonder which team can dethrone them. Spivey with a strong defense as his stock continues to rise.

#39 kevinmcfl

kevinmcfl
  • Members
  • 2004 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:15 PM

Great show.  Sullivan might be one of the biggest players right now and he rarely wins matches.  That just shows that it is all how you write things up and you are doing an excellent job here and even though he doesn't always come on top nobody ever knows what is next.  That is the sign of a perfect show.

#40 gordi

gordi

monster gaijin

• Members
  • 1827 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:30 PM

Love the finishes to Orton vs Adams and Piper vs Cactus. Just the right choices for the people involved, and I'll bet the crowd was white-hot or both of those. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users