Pro Wrestling Only

Roman Reigns as the ace post-Wrestlemania

FMKK

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shifting this back on course...

I'd love to see Reigns get a nice long run with the belt. As someone else mentioned, he has some real contenders that he would work well against - Balor would be my first challenger, then maybe Owens/Zayn if they come to RAW (though I'm not an Owens fan right now), all leading to either the eventual Shield 3-way at SummerSlam or just Dean Ambrose (who will have turned heel on Reigns by then) at SummerSlam. You know the minute Ambrose "turns heel," the crowd is going to get behind him even more too. Eventually, Braun comes-a-calling in the fall. (Of course, there's also rumors around Lashley and Batista I won't even get into)

As much as I love Joe and Miz, I actually think they'd be better used against other opponents rather than challenging Reigns in 2018. Joe would be stupendous on SmackDown - vs. Bryan, vs. Nakamura (I liked their NXT matches alright), vs. Styles obviously. Miz, meanwhile, is probably the only guy that could make me care about Rollins or Balor right now. Basically, you can insert any babyface against The Miz and you've got a decent #2 or #3 program on the RAW side (see what he did vs. Ziggler in 2016).

So, yeah, you can call him the ace or just the "top babyface" or whatever, but Reigns has plenty of angles/storylines that could work ahead of him and there's no reason he should be taking a backseat to anyone, including Strowman (as entertaining as he is), following Mania.

Man, I'm at the point where I just want him to get his crowning moment already so we can get past it. Like others have stated, it's been frustrating to see WWE pass on better potential stories/pushes because everything was written for Roman vs Brock.

FWIW, for comparison of where Reigns stands, here is the multiple Last Match on the WM card guys list:

8 Hogan 85 86 87 89 90 91 92 93

7 Triple H 00 02 04 05 06 09 16

5 Shawn 96 98 04 07 10

5 The Rock 99 00 01 12 13

5 Cena 06 07 11 12 13

4 Undertaker 97 08 10 17

3 Austin 98 99 01

3 Reigns 15 16 17

2 Savage 88 89

2 Sid 92 97

2 Yokozuna 93 94

2 Bret 94 96

2 Brock 03 15

2 Batista 05 14

2 Randy Orton 09 14

And for what its worth, here is the list of the "One Timers"

Mr T 85

Orndorff 85

Piper 85

Bundy 86

Andre 87

DiBiase 88

Warrior 90

Slaughter 91

LT 95

Bigelow 95

Big Show 00

Foley 00

Jericho 02

Angle 03

Benoit 04

Edge 08

Miz 11

Bryan 14

Rollins 15

I won't even lie, I'd lose my shit over a Lashley/Reigns series. I could see some people shitting on the idea, but fuck 'em. Just serve up an endless series of aimless Seth/Balor rematches or whatever underneath it so they can get their chants in, then give me some bomb-throwing hoss battles up top after that.

But yeah. Lashley storming onto the scene, wrecking shop, and ripping shit up to get the belt he couldn't capture before? I'd eat that shit up. For those that haven't seen much of his stuff in recent years, the guy's shown incrrrrredible improvement since 2014.

Or fuck it. Put him on Smackdown and let him challenge AJ. Either one of those scenarios works for me. Sprinkle in some Samoa Joe, add a dash of Braun, and holy shit. We've got one hell of a year of legitimate heavyweight fights on our hands.

But Balor? Another Shield breakup? My god. The sheer boredom of both ideas is compelling my body to physically shut down and go comatose. Seriously. It's that uninspiring. I have zero desire in hearing Seth's attempts at main event level promos EVER again after 2015, and Balor's idea of character work boils down to that slackjawed staring into the crowd and a bunch of collar popping. Thanks, but no thanks to all of that.

I'd argue Rollins doesn't belong on that list anymore than Papa Shango or Warrior belong for Mania 8.

Seriously?

Then do you want me to list Bob Orton, Jimmy Snuka for 1, all 4 McMahons for 2000, Fuji for IX (I mean he even CAUSED the Hogan match to happen), the NFL guys at 11, etc?

Shango and Warrior didn't make the match an official tag team match the way the Rollins cash in attempt turn the match into an impromptu official Triple Threat match.

The closer comparison would obviously be listing Hogan as a headliner for '93.

It seems silly to try to apply a strict rule or anything, but yeah. I'm in the camp of thinking they don't really belong on the list if they weren't advertised or promoted as part of the main event.

I suppose thats fair, not to mention splitting hairs with how other matches got promoted as co-Main Events and should a Heavyweight Title be a Main Event even if it opens the card or isnt last.

What the fuck happened to this thread ?

Trolling

im not a troll in any way i just hold very odd views

Considering Japan's obsessive love for baseball, I'm mildly surprised you didn't pick up Wrestling Promotion Ace being comparable to Ace Pitcher of a baseball team's starting rotation.

oddly when it comes ot combat sports im more of soccer guy have been isnce 2002 world cup before that it was Motor racing and Golf in baseball i have my team that i only casually Follow while i try to go to one soccer match a week [ and also i try an go to 6 to 10 wrestling shows a month] and then i watch all the highlights of J and then i J sports i watch as much as much of non Japanese Soccer as i can between work and sports time i have a very full life you could call me a sports otaku of you wish

Trolling

Considering Japan's obsessive love for baseball, I'm mildly surprised you didn't pick up Wrestling Promotion Ace being comparable to Ace Pitcher of a baseball team's starting rotation.

Trolling

There's other Ace's

bob_orton_jr_pro.jpg?quality=65&strip=al

I won't even lie, I'd lose my shit over a Lashley/Reigns series. I could see some people shitting on the idea, but fuck 'em. Just serve up an endless series of aimless Seth/Balor rematches or whatever underneath it so they can get their chants in, then give me some bomb-throwing hoss battles up top after that.

But yeah. Lashley storming onto the scene, wrecking shop, and ripping shit up to get the belt he couldn't capture before? I'd eat that shit up. For those that haven't seen much of his stuff in recent years, the guy's shown incrrrrredible improvement since 2014.

Or fuck it. Put him on Smackdown and let him challenge AJ. Either one of those scenarios works for me. Sprinkle in some Samoa Joe, add a dash of Braun, and holy shit. We've got one hell of a year of legitimate heavyweight fights on our hands.

But Balor? Another Shield breakup? My god. The sheer boredom of both ideas is compelling my body to physically shut down and go comatose. Seriously. It's that uninspiring. I have zero desire in hearing Seth's attempts at main event level promos EVER again after 2015, and Balor's idea of character work boils down to that slackjawed staring into the crowd and a bunch of collar popping. Thanks, but no thanks to all of that.

I dont know why, but I have a feeling that Rollins will be an early challenger. And an Ambrose heel feud seems nailed on. Roman works well as the bigger guy using his strength but, although the matches will be good, I cant imagine anyone getting an interesting programme out of Rollins or Bálor on top.

If they slot Lashley into Brocks place and get back to the hoss wars they were doing around Summerslam Ill be more than pleased. Especially if it ends up with a long title run which Braun ends

Rollins and Balor are precisely where they need to be on the card at this moment. They can contribute to the shows by way of quality mid-card matches. But main event programs should demand individuals with actual characters, or at least the kind of folks capable of getting angles over. Balor and Rollins are just too dry and bland about... well, everything.

They're essentially what you'd get if you took the WCW cruiserweight division, removed all the masks, stripped away all the colorful gear, and basically just had a whole division of multiple Dean Malenkos.

And don't misunderstand me. That's no knock on Dean. But, without the contrasts, he's nothing unique. The Iceman shtick can work when surrounded by some showmen and some loudmouths. But booking a whole batch of these guys together at the same time is just instant death. It's a black hole of creativity and charisma when it comes to these guys. There's just nothing there.

I just have no desire to see them work main events, because i don't want a lifeless series of meaningless matches for the next several months after Mania. And Roman's going to need something substantial to sink his teeth into - but neither of these guys provide that. Giving Roman a Seth or a Finn for a first challenger would be serving him another uphill battle right away.

Super positive reactions don't matter to the people that counts-the McMahons. If it mattered, you know we'd be about six months into a long Braun title reign by now.

That's pretty sad, because that's what pro-wrestling was about. Watch who gets over and push the hell out of them. Rusev could be a hot act. Braun should be the Monster Champ. Honestly, this all is a product of the monopoly. With WCW kicking their tale, there's no way WWE spends three Mania main events in a row on Reigns "becoming the Ace".

This is my biggest thing when it comes to Reigns. I don't love the guy, but I think he's a great wrestler and has improved as a promo by leaps and bounds. But so rarely does any wrestling promotion go with the hot hand or stray from the plan. There's no telling what they could have done with Braun if they made him the guy.

I don't wanna come across as a guy who only complains about WWE. I mean, I am pretty excited for WrestleMania this year...

... but ...

I am somehow 100 percent confident that, if they had decided to make Braun the guy they would have done it in such a way that at least half of us would hate Braun now. You know, book him as a Superman instead of a monster, or try to make him into the next Austin-style guy who is succeeding despite being held down (while forcing him down our throats) or have him find an old ventriloquist dummy that gives him advice...

Already crossed that line to me, way too much Superman booking at Survivor Series and Elimination Chamber most especially and recently moving into the comedic goofy babyface stylings.

Hell yeah. I'd been wanting Lashley/Lesnar cause I know Lashley's always wanted that but I figure Brock's for sure leaving. Lashley/Reigns sounds awesome as does Lashley/Styles. I figure Reigns/Joe will be happening first but yeah the Shield shit is way past done as far as that triple threat being some sort of dream match. It happened and there's no need to rush back to it again at all, I much prefer them as allies that team when needed.