Pro Wrestling Only

NWA World Wrestling Council April 1986

dawho5

Original Airdate April 4th 1986

(Originally airing in Spanish on WAPA Channel 4 in San Juan, Puerto Rico. This broadcast is translated to English where applicable.)

The opening montage featuring highlights of Carlos Colon, Chicky Starr, Invader 1, Invader 2, Invader 3, Abdullah the Butcher, Hercules Ayala, Bam Bam and Dutch Mantell plays. Carlos Colon doing a cartwheel and coming up fists at the ready leads to the WWC logo as the music ends.

NWA and Capitol Sports Presenta

Los Campeones De La Lucha Libre

Con Tus Luchadores Favoritos De Fama Mundial

Rickin Sanchez and Hugo Savinovich sit smiling at the commentary desk in Coliseo Municipal Pedro Rodriguez Gaya De Catano.

Rickin: Welcome fans to another exciting week of WWC action. I am joined by my friend and colleague, Hugo Savinovich.

Hugo: Tournament time!! And we have a surprise return!!

Rickin: Tonight is the beginning of our light heavyweight title tournament. We will have two tournament matches tonight. First we will see the return of Dutch Mantel after the injury to his arm by los Mercenarios.

Hugo: I'm sure Dutch has revenge on his mind!

Rickin: I would imagine he does. We will also see the team of Jonathan Boyd and the Crusher in action.

Hugo: Did you know they lost the NWA 6-man titles last weekend?!?

Rickin: I did, but I didn't want to be the one to say it. Barrabas is no fan of mine already and he will be in a foul mood when he stops by the desk after his team's match already. Abdullah Tamba will be in singles action again tonight.

Hugo: He impressed again two weeks ago! Little Abdullah is very graceful for such a large man!

Rickin: He certainly is. Owen Hart will be joining Chicky Starr in his Sports Shop.

Hugo: I know you don't approve of Owen and Chicky being friends.

Rickin: Owen Hart is an impressionable young man and needs the right guidance. I don't think Chicky Starr is the man to provide that guidance.

Hugo: I doubt he'll be going to see Invader 1 or Carlitos Colon! They are friends of Ricky Santana.

Rickin: There is that. Our first tournament match this week will be one half of the Rock and Roll RPMs, Tommy Lane, against the Japanese veteran Kuniaki Kobayashi.

Hugo: Kobayashi is very well rounded. He is a capable martial artist as well as a mat wrestler. He likes to use a fisherman's suplex or a bodyscissors sleeper to finish off his opponents. And he is willing to do whatever it takes to win!

Rickin: Something you were known for as well. Ricky Santana will join me at the desk before going against the young American Chris Candido in the main event. I'm told he uses a headbutt off the top rope as a finisher.

Hugo: It's hard to beat a man with that little regard for his own safety! They tend to be very tough.

Rickin: I can see that being the case, yes. The crowd is cheering and here comes Dutch Mantell.

Hugo: Given who it was that injured him, I can see him getting crowd support.

Rickin: I'm sure these fans would love to see Dutch opposed to los Mercenarios and Chicky Starr.

Hugo: Dutch is a very dangerous man!! Even when he doesn't have revenge on his mind!

Rickin: One downside of los Mercenarios willingness to hurt other wrestlers for money has to be the amount of enemies they make.

Hugo: I'm sure Dutch wants to settle with whoever put the bounty out on him too!

Rickin: I imagine he does. I'll be talking to him next week and it should give us an idea of what Dutch means to do now that he's back.

Hugo: He's not waiting for the bell!

Domingo Robles vs. Dutch Mantell

Mantell takes Robles apart early, but the veteran comedy jobber is able to get a few dirty tricks over on Dutch and start in on the injured left arm. Dutch with an eye gouge, then runs Robles' face all the way down the top rope on one side of the ring. Short clothesline by Dutch with no ill effect on the injured arm. Gourdbuster gets Dtuch the 3 count.

Dutch Mantell by pinfall in 3:51 with a gourdbuster

Rickin: Big win in his return for Dutch Mantell.

Hugo: He showed that his arm was back to full strength! That's a very important thing to do.

Rickin: It will still be a target for his opponents for a while. When we come back we'll see Jonathan Boyd and the Crusher in action. Don't go anywhere.

(Commercial Break) 0-8:30

Rickin: We're back and Barrabas is leading Jonathan Boyd and the Crusher to the ring.

Hugo: Barrabas looks very unhappy! Do you think his team blames him for their loss?!?

Rickin: It is likely that has come up in the last 4 days.

Hugo: How did that sit with Bam Bam?!?

Rickin: Given that Bam Bam is not here, I can only imagine not well.

Hugo: He might be appearing in Japan today! Or somewhere in the U.S. I'm told Bam Bam is in demand all over the world!

Rickin: That is possible. I can't imagine the way those titles were lost improved the relationship between Barrabas and Bam Bam though.

Hugo: No, probably not...

Rickin: Referee Ricky Vargas is calling for the bell.

Mr. X & Y vs. Jonathan Boyd and the Crusher

Boyd uses his energetic brawling while the Crusher is more deliberate with his power offense. Mr. Y is able to mount a short comeback before running into a big boot from the Crusher. Crusher tags Boyd and holds Y for the three point clothesline from Boyd, who covers for three.

Jonathan Boyd & the Crusher by pinfall in 5:14 with an assisted three point clothesline

Rickin: Boyd and the Crusher needed that win going into the 19th agianst Castillo and Perez.

Hugo: They got the win against them last time! I think Castillo and Perez need the momentum more.

Rickin: They got the win with the help of Barrabas.

Hugo: A win is a win!!

Rickin: Fair enough. We'll be right back with Barrabas at the desk and Abdullah Tamba in action.

(Commercial Break) 8:30-14:45

Rickin: We are back, fans, and I am joined by Barrabas. He is flanked by Jonathan Boyd and the Crusher. Big win for your team going into Roberto Clemente Coliseum.

Barrabas: You think we need that win to beat two silver spoon wannabe wrestlers like Huracan Castillo Jr. and Miguelito Perez? If they didn't have those names do you think we would even know who they are?

Rickin: I think they are developing into a very good tag team and both have shown growth as wrestlers as well.

Barrabas : Of course you do. How many times have you brought up my team losing the NWA 6-Man Championships so far??

Rickin: We discussed it as you were on your way to the ring. What would you have us talk about?

Barrabas: How much we embarassed those spoiled brats Castillo & Perez last time we faced them for one. I bet Castillo's dad has a bonus in it for you if you can mention it neough times, doesn't he??

Rickin: I am paid the same regardless. There is no attempt now, nor has there ever been, to undercut you.

Barrabas: Of course you won't talk about it! I'm sure you've also been saying that Bam Bam is unhappy with me too!

Rickin: Is he?

Barrabas: No! I'll be in his corner on the 19th when he wins the Caribbean Heavyweight Title and I'll be in his corner when he takes on Invader 1 on TV in 2 weeks! I want you to stop slandering me and spreading lies about my relationship with my clients!

Rickin: We in no way stated that-

Barrabas: This interview is over!

Barrabas storms off with Boyd and the Crusher in tow.

Rickin: That could have gone better.

Hugo: You said it yourself, Barrabas was in a terrible mood.

Rickin: I'm surprised he let me keep the microphone. Chicky Starr is leading Abdullah Tamba to the ring.

Hugo: And the crowd is pelting both with garbage!

Rickin: Chicky Starr seems to have accepted this and looks like he enjoys it.

Hugo: If it happens long enough, you just get used to the idea. You start to understand that the crowd will get angrier if you like it.

Rickin: Tamba seems to be ignoring anything thrown his way, focused on the ring.

Hugo: He's got a job to do!

Rickin: And he's been doing it well. Last week it took him less than 3 minutes to defeat Frank Conners two weeks ago.

Hugo: Little Abdullah is very dangerous! Almost as dangerous as the monster! The machine! The madman from the Sudan!

Rickin: To be in the conversation is....I hesitate to use the word impressive.

Hugo: Even if it is the right word!

Rickin: So it is. It looks like we're ready to go, referee Tomas Marin has called for the bell.

Armandito Salgado vs. Abdullah Tamba

Tamba again steamrolls his opponent, giving him no offense save a few no-sold punches. A splash from the top rope gets Tamba the three count.

Abdullah Tamba by pinfall in 2:43 with a top rope splash

Rickin: Abdullah Tamba is on a roll and doesn't look to be stopping soon.

Hugo: Chicky Starr has one of the dominant wrestlers in the WWC at his disposal.

Rickin: Yes, and I'm sure I'll disapprove of however he chooses to use that. Up next we will see Owen Hart in the Sports Shop.

Hugo: Can't wait!

Rickin: And then our first match of the tournament, Tommy Lane against Kuniaki Kobayashi. We'll be right back fans.

(Commercial Break) 14:45-21:30

Hugo: We're baaaaaack...and it's Sports Shop time!!

The intro for the Sports Shop plays and we cut to Victor with a microphone on the set.

Victor (wooden): It is my pleasure to introduce the hottest wrestler and manager in the World Wrestling Council. Ladies and gentlemen, here is the most exciting, most charismatic, best dressed man in Puerto Rico, Chicky Starr.

Chicky Starr walks on set in his athletic gear, tag title draped over his shoulder, and picks up the microphone on his chair before sitting down.

Chicky: Welcome ladies and gentlemen to the most important 3 minutes on television! I am Chicky Starr and this is my Sports Shop. It seems all ofthe talk is about this tournament for the Light Heavyweight Championship. I could have been in that tournament, but I already have a championship belt. And to be fair, I could win that tournament hands down if it were not for the inclusion of my guest today.

Owen Hart walks on set, picks up the microphone on his chair and sits down after shaking Chicky's hand.

Chicky: (English) I have been watching your progress as time goes on and I am very impressed. You know what it takes to win a wrestling match and that is a rare thing!

Owen: I'm glad somebody noticed. All I ever hear is how I'm doing it wrong.

Chicky: Take it from somebody who has made a career of doing it wrong. It doesn't ever stop. People like Rickin Sanchez and Ricky Santana will always have a problem with people like us. Speaking of Ricky Santana, why did he need to be at ringside for your match last week?

Owen: That's a damn good question! I don't recall stalking him. Maybe all those losses to me have made him desperate to do whatever he can to hurt me.

Chicky: He can't seem to beat you in the ring. Costing you a win in a title match seems like it's going a little far though.

Owen: Do you KNOW how big a win there would have been for me back home in Canada?!? I will tell you this, Chicky, I do not forget when somebody does something like that to me. Ricky Santana can expect payback sooner or later.

Chicky: You have to stand up for yourself, yes. I've looked at this tournament and the only man I think you have to worry about is this Kobayashi.

Owen: I'm sure Rickin Sanchez would argue that Ricky Santana is a favorite.

Chicky: He likes his wrestlers to do things the "right" way.

Owen: So I noticed. I wonder if he ever had to compete for a job. Or find a way to stand out with 7 older brothers!

Chicky: Being overlooked can change your way of seeing things. Don't go as far into that territory as Barrabas though. The man tries so hard he guarantees his own failure. Learn from that example.

Owen: I hadn't really been paying attention. I really should now that you mention it.

Chicky: Everyone should. That is it for another edition of Chicky's Sports Shop. I'd like to thank Owen Hart for being my guest.

Owen: Thanks for having me!

Chicky: (Spanish) Now it's time for Ric Flair to to take us back to the boring part of the show.

Flair's sign-off plays as Owen and Chicky walk off the set talking. Cut to the arena.

Rickin: That went about as expected.

Hugo: Everyone needs a sympathetic ear now and again. Owen Hart included.

Rickin: And do you agree with any of what was said?

Hugo: There is a lot of pressure to win. It can be hard to resist the temptation to take shortcuts when that kind of money and prestige is on the line.

Rickin: That's fair. Tommy Lane of the Rock and Roll RPMs is on his way to the ring.

Hugo: He's got a big test tonight! Not only is he used to tag team wrestling, but he's up against a very good wrestler in Kuniaki Kobayashi.

Rickin: It's going to be a tough match, but he's got this crowd behind him and that will give him a second wind down the stretch.

Hugo: I'm not sure that will be enough to counteract the skill and experience of Kobayashi!

Rickin: I don't pretend to know much about Kobayashi, but Lane has been impressive these last two months. He's reached the ring and here comes Kobayashi.

Hugo: The fans don't seem to know how to react!

Rickin: It's their first time seeing Kobayashi. I'd guess tonight's match will have a lot to do with their opinion of him going forward.

Hugo: I don't think they will like what they see..

Rickin: I defer to you on that. You know much more about Kobayashi than I do.

Hugo: He has never been shy about using...

Rickin: Illegal tactics?

Hugo: I was going to say whatever dirty trick he could think of, but that works. He is one of the arch-rivals of the great Japanese champion Tiger Mask.

Rickin: That is a name I have heard. It looks like ring announcer Eliud Gonzalez is finished with his announcements. We're ready for action.

Tommy Lane vs. Kuniaki Kobayashi

Lane has the advantage early, prompting Kobayashi going to the eyes to set up his martial arts kicks. Lane fires back with punches and the match goes back and forth with Kobayashi cheating to regain the advantage each time Lane fires up. Lane finally has enough and hits a low blow from his knees (big cheers), then hits a big jumping leg drop for a 2 count. He goes for a powerbomb and Kobayashi rolls through for a sunset flip nearfall. Lane gets a nearfall off of a side suplex, then barely kicks out of a rollup attempt by Kobayashi (who has his feet on the ropes). A big spinkick by Kobayashi and he's looking for the fisherman's suplex, but Lane counters before Kobayashi can grab the leg. Lane gets Kobayashi up for his own suplex, but Kobayashi floats over and locks in the bodyscissors sleeper. Lane refuses to give up, struggling for the ropes, but passes out. Kobayashi advances in the tournament. He leaves the ring, celebrating to boos as referee Ricky Vargas tries to revive Lane.

Kuniaki Kobayashi by submission in 12:17 with a bodyscissors sleeper (Lane passed out)

Rickin: Tommy Lane with a good showing, but the experience and skill of Kobayashi did come through. After a lot of cheating.

Hugo: A win is a win!! He advances! Lane showed me more than I thought he would.

Rickin: He probably should have tapped out when he knew he couldn't make the ropes.

Hugo: We all know that when we go in the ring. Sometimes it's hard to let your pride go.

Rickin: Up next I will be talking to Ricky Santana before our main event. Stay tuned to see if Ricky Santana can advance in the tournament.

(Commercial Break) 21:30-39:00

Rickin: We're back with Ricky Santana joining me. We both saw the comments by Owen Hart earlier in the show.

Santana: He can say whatever he wants, Owen Hart tried to cheat a man out of his title. I wasn't going to stand by and watch it happen.

Rickin: We both know that Owen Hart will try to interfere with your chances in the tournament as payback.

Santana: That's the way it goes. He comes to Puerto Rico claiming to be this gret technical wrestler, but I've seen him cut corners, attack before the bell and cheat his way to winning more than I've seen clean victories. He's going to do whatever he's going to do. I have to concentrate on what I need to do to win.

Rickin: Tonight you face the American rookie Chris Candido. It's not often you go in with an experience advantage.

Santana: That doesn't mean I get to take him lightly. He's won a lot of matches in Canada and the U.S. with his diving headbutt.

Rickin: So you don't feel your experience advantage will give you an edge?

Santana: It might. Then again, I pushed Dutch Mantell farther than naynoe thought I would. And he has almost a decade of experience on me. But he never took me lightly and there is a lesson there. If you don't go in focused on what you need to do it's going to work against you, regardless of experience.

Rickin: It sounds like you are learning the right lessons. Thank you for stopping by the desk Ricky.

Santana: Thanks for your time Rickin.

Santana heads to the ring s the fans cheer him on.

Rickin: I know you don't often agree with what Ricky Santana has to say, Hugo. What did you think?

Hugo: He's not wrong. You can't underestimate a man going into a match or you will find yourself losing very quickly!

Rickin: Something not all wrestlers learn early in their careers.

Hugo: Al Madril made that mistake not too long ago. Now he has a broken leg!

Rickin: I don't think that is at stake here, but Santana could find himself out of the tournament if he doesn't take Candido seriously.

Hugo: High enough stakes!

Rickin: Yes, for a young man like Santana, a chance at a title belt is very important. Now Santana is in the ring and here comes Chris Candido.

Hugo: He's engaging the crowd!

Rickin: It's good to see young wrestlers who understand how important it is to have the crowd on their side.

Hugo: Even if the crowd will be with Santana?!?

Rickin: The crowd can support both wrestlers, but I do agree that Santana will be the crowd favorite here.

Hugo: Will we see Owen?!?

Rickin: I hope not. The crowd seems to at least not be getting on Candido.

Hugo: They will if he beats Santana!!

Rickin: I imagine if he wins cleanly he will gain some fans here today. Both wrestlers are now in the ring and Santana is offering a handshake. There it is and referee Victor Quinonez has called for the bell.

Chris Candido vs. Ricky Santana

Things go back and forth on the mat early after a few basic wrestling sequences. Candido gets a few two counts on rollups, then Santana. Both men get a little heated after some hard chops by Santana and they exchange chops with no advantage gained. A slam by Candido and he whips Santana hard into the corner. Santana pushes Candido off on the superplex attempt, but the attempted flying crossbody is rolled through for a nearfall by Candido. Santana tries the fisherman's suplex, but Candido reverses. He climbs up top for the diving headbutt, but Santana moves out of the way at the last instant. This time the Santana flying crossbody connects as Candido staggers to his feet, and Santana gets the three. Santana helps Candido to his feet and raises his arm to the crowd.

Ricky Santana by pinfall in 11:19 with a top rope crossbody

Rickin: Big win for Ricky Santana, but Chris Candido came very close.

Hugo: Good match for both!!

Rickin: I'm sure Candido would have liked the win, but that diving headbutt is a double edged sword.

Hugo: You hit your head very hard either way, if it doesn't hit the other man it definitely works against you!

Rickin: So Kuniaki Kobayashi and Ricky Santana will meet in two weeks to determine one half of the finals matchup. Be sure to tune in next week for the remainder of the first round matches. We will Be showing you the entire announced card for April 19th as we leave.

Main Event - Abdullah the Butcher w/Chicky Starr vs. Carlitos Colon © for the Universal Heavyweight Championship

Los Invaders (1 & 3) vs. Los Primos Starr © for the Caribbean Tag Team Championships

Bam Bam w/Barrabas vs. Hercules Ayala © for the Caribbean Heavyweight Championship

Los Super Medicos vs. Los Mercenarios

Huracan Castillo Jr. & Miguelito Perez vs. Jonathan Boyd & the Crusher w/Barrabas

Gama Singh vs. TNT

Light Heavyweight Tournament Finals

Love the light heavyweight tournament matches. Kobayashi and Lane tore it up with Kobayashi advancing. Candido is making some waves in the NWA and just comes up short against crowd favorite Santana but I think he's earned the respect of the PR fans. Great seeing Dutch Mantel back, doesn't seem like he's lost a step. Cant wait to see Bam Bam return, should be very interesting. The Owen Hart story continues to be one of my favorites. I think Chicky is in his ear big time. The April 19th card is stacked!

Lots of great stuff here, including Kobayashi looking good...

But I wanted to focus on how great it is that you actually booked Barrabas' team to lose the NWA 6- Man titles in another territory and now there are repercussions back in San Juan. That is awesome cooperative booking. You guys pulled that off beautifully.

Great win for Santana over Candido who has been making waves all across the NWA.

Impressive debut for Kobayashi, nice win over the very underated Tommy Lane

Chicky continues to be an influence on young Owen Hart...still one of my favorite stories in the game right now!

What a great card for April 19th, but I'm still most excited for Bam Bam vs. Hercules Ayala.

PR is seriously the playground for every single wrestler throughout the world to come in and work. I have a great appreciation for your ability to have an organic roster while keeping some guys on the right track to be at the top. I am also a fan of Owen's development here. Meaningful time spent in the right direction always makes the payoff worthwhile.

Great win for Santana over Candido who has been making waves all across the NWA.

Impressive debut for Kobayashi, nice win over the very underated Tommy Lane

Chicky continues to be an influence on young Owen Hart...still one of my favorite stories in the game right now!

What a great card for April 19th, but I'm still most excited for Bam Bam vs. Hercules Ayala.

Candido was a guy I at first wanted to put over in round 1. But a google search revealed he was born in 1972. He's not a bad wrestler in his prime, but keeping it pretty simple was my main goal with him. Kobayashi and Lane are both underrated and I want to keep the RnR's big as a tag team right now. My main goal with both matches was to put over all of the wrestlers and show the attitudes of Santana and Kobayashi with how they handled the win after the finish. Owen is a bit of a stretch the way I am doing things. I'm not sure he was ready to be 1994 heel Owen in any fashion in 1986, but it allows me to use the feud to develop both Owen and Santana equally. One of my main goals with outside talent isto always have them come out gaining something and looking good, win or lose.

April 19th is a game changer for a few reasons. Bam Bam vs. Ayala may or may not be one of them. Just know that in PR, once the heels cross a line, the babyfaces are expected to do everything that a heel would have done to them in retaliation. Far past the point of reason.

I recently watched a few youtube matches from WWC and the fans were wild. Your cards with all of the feuds and wild brawls portrays this so well. The big bruisers are on a roll here!

I try to get the crowd across in my big events, but TV I tend to not have them as rabid. Also, it's hard to adequately describe in words how amazingly into it those crowds are. During an ambulance match (Edger can back me up on this), members of the crowd actually start attacking Butch Miller when he's laying on the announce table and have to be warned off by military police. Also, fans swarm the ambulance while Luke is being loaded. Craziest scene I have ever watched in a wrestling match. With the aid of Colon and Invader 1 nonetheless.

PR is seriously the playground for every single wrestler throughout the world to come in and work. I have a great appreciation for your ability to have an organic roster while keeping some guys on the right track to be at the top. I am also a fan of Owen's development here. Meaningful time spent in the right direction always makes the payoff worthwhile.

Absolutely. :) If I get sent somebody, they get the red carpet rolled out. Of course, it might look like they are trying to get themselves killed by a violent crowd, but you get what I mean. Thing for me is guys like Colon, Ayala, the Invaders, they are so well-known at this point in PR they don't need the TV time and squashes. Ron Starr is Chicky's cousin and that's more than enough when you couple it with how clearly capable he is in the ring. Pastores/Sheepherders are pretty well-known everywhere. My big worry is teams like the Mercs and Boyd/Crusher don't get enough time, as well as a guy like Abdullah Tamba. I had to put a lot of time into building Bam Bam into a force of nature and keeping the principal babyfaces on track that I feel like a few teams/guys got left behind. Even the TNT/Gama Singh feud I feel like I did too much right away and the momentum is going away as I reach the big show.

Also, I made the comment a long while back about Gordi's booking looking like Baba's with outside input. I'd say I go pretty slow and steady on things in that same way with not a lot of guys winning over somebody higher on the totem pole. Just the tools I use are a little different.

Not to get off track, but I think that's one of the really fun and entertaining aspects of this project overall: pretty much every promotion has a distinct feel, and generally that feel reflects something of that particular territory in the 80s without going so far as to be a carbon copy.

I kind of think that if you scrubbed all of the names and locations out of three or four randomly chosen shows and got someone from this board to read them... they could probably figure out "oh, that one's WWC... and that one's maybe Mid South... and that one is Japan..."

WWC would definitely be one of the easiest ones to pick out. You've created something really distinct, here.

Original airdate April 11, 1986

(Originally airing in Spanish on WAPA Channel 4 in San Juan, Puerto Rico. This broadcast is translated to English where applicable.)

The opening montage featuring highlights of Carlos Colon, Chicky Starr, Invader 1, Invader 2, Invader 3, Abdullah the Butcher, Hercules Ayala, Bam Bam and Dutch Mantell plays. Carlos Colon doing a cartwheel and coming up fists at the ready leads to the WWC logo as the music ends.

Rickin Sanchez and Hugo Savinovich sit smiling at the commentary desk in Coliseo Municipal Pedro Rodriguez Gaya De Catano.

Rickin: Welcome fans to another exciting edition of WWC television. Alongside me as always is the one and only Hugo Savinovich.

Hugo: More tournament matches tonight!

Rickin: That's right Hugo. We will see TNT in his final tune-up for Gama Singh on the 19th tonight.

Hugo: He's looked ready so far!

Rickin: I don't disagree. I will be talking with Dutch Mantell before his match. Chicky Starr will be hosting los Mercenarios in his Sports Shop before we see los Super Medicos in action.

Hugo: I'm sure los Mercenarios will have something to say about los Super Medicos!

Rickin: They do have a match coming up on the 19th. Our first tournament match will feature young Huracan Castillo Jr. against Jumpin' Joe Savoldi from MACW.

Hugo: Savoldi has 4 years ring experience to Castillo's 2. It should be a close match between two great athletes!

Rickin: Our main event tonight is also a tournament match. Invader 2 will be facing Owen Hart. I'm told Invader 2 is still feeling the effectsw of the attack by Ron and Chicky Starr on February 28th, but has decided to wrestle.

Hugo: Owen will take advantage...

Rickin: I worry about that too. It's possible Invader 2's experience advantage could pull him through. TNT is on his way to the ring with his manager El Profe.

Hugo: I'm glad we don't have to listen to El Profe's insults tonight.

Rickin: I am also. The man may be intelligent, but his arrogance is very difficult to deal with.

Hugo: I wonder how he came to be manager for a man like TNT...

Rickin: It does seem like an odd pairing. Perhaps they are longtime friends. TNT seems so to abide by the rules and carry himself with dignity.

Hugo: The fans might like him if not for El Profe!

Rickin: Maybe TNT is one of those who isn't bothered by the fans not liking him. He has reached the ring and referee Tomas Marin is calling for the bell.

Domingo Robles vs. TNT

TNT controls with martial arts chops and big throat thrusts. He cuts off a Robles comeback with a superkick and locks in the cobra dinamita for the submission.

TNT by submission in 4:13 with the cobra dinamita (cobra clutch)

Rickin: TNT looking strong going into his match with Gama Singh.

Hugo: He'll need to be. Gama Singh is ready for what El Profe brings tothe table this time!

Rickin: I don't think TNT relies on El Profe to win matches as much as most. We'll be right back with Dutch Mantell at the desk and in the ring.

(Commercial Break) 0:00-7:30

Rickin: We're back fans and Dutch Mantell, who made a triumphant return last week, has joined me. Dutch, I can only guess you are looking for revenge on los Mercenarios.

Dutch: Those two got some payback comin' their way, that's for sure. But what I really want is to settle with the dirty, low down, egg-suckin dog who put 'em on me.

Rickin: A perfectly normal reaction. Do you have any idea who-

The crowd has a mixed reaction as Hangman Bobby Jaggers makes his way to the desk.

Rickin: Bobby Jaggers it has been a long time since you have been in Puerto Rico. I can only assume you have something to say to Dutch Mantell.

Jaggers: You're a smart guy when it comes to the obvious Rickin Sanchez. Why don't ya just let me tell you and Dutch a story. Ya see, Austin Idol had a problem with Dutch Mantell, something not really uncommon as far as I can tell, and

found out that Dutch was in Puerto Rico. He knew that Hangman Bobby Jaggers had his contacts in the Caribbean and gave me a call. Next thing you know, Dutch Mantell is getting his arm broke. Good story, don't ya think?

Dutch, who has been glaring at Jaggers since he started talking, rushes Jaggers and a brawl breaks out. Rickin is quick to get out of the way and back around the desk.

Rickin: We're going to take a quick commercial break to get this sorted out fans. We'll be right back.

(Commerical Break) 7:30-9:30

Rickin: I'm sorry about that fans. Bobby Jaggers and Dutch Mantell were separated and it seems there will be another match on the card for April 19th.

Hugo: Dutch against Bobby Jaggers! What a match!

Rickin: Dutch is in the ring and referee Ricky Vargas is calling for the bell.

El Vikingo vs. Dutch Mantell

Dutch seems a little angry (or a lot) after not being able to finish the job on Jaggers. He is all over Vikingo with punches and hits a big side suplex, then starts punching Vikingo as he is prone. Vikingo gets no offense in and Dutch hits the gourdbuster for the three.

Dutch Mantell by pinfall in 3:37 with a gourdbuster

Rickin: Dutch was definitely upset by what happened with Bobby Jaggers.

Hugo: Luckily for Jaggers, he isn't el Vikingo!

Rickin: I bet el Vikingo wishes he wasn't. We now take you to Chicky's Sports Shop.

The Sports Shop intro plays and we cut to Victor on the Sports Shop set with a microphone.

Victor (wooden): It is my pleasure to introduce the hottest wrestler and manager in the World Wrestling Council. Ladies and gentlemen, here is the most exciting, most charismatic, best dressed man in Puerto Rico, Chicky Starr.

Chicky walks in in his custom suit and sits down after picking up a microphone.

Chicky: First off I would like to wish my good friend Owen Hart good luck against Invader 2 tonight in the Light Heavyweght Title tournament tonight. Not that he'll need it. I hear Invader 2 is still hurting after the beating Ronnie and I gave him a month and a half ago.

Chicky looks off-screen and nods.

Chicky: My guests this week are a tag team that recently joined my organization, los Mercenarios.

Los Mercenarios walk on set and shake hands with Chicky before sitting down.

Chicky: The two of you seem to have more than a few enemies. Dutch Mantell recently returned, but I think he'll be busy. (Chicky grins.) Young Castillo and Perez, as small of a threat as they are, won't forget you two anytime soon. And los Super Medicos have said they are out for revenge.

Merc 1: It comes with the territory. If los Super Medicos want a brawl, that's what they'll get.

Chicky: I know you don't care much for the idea -

Merc 1: When we're doing your work, we do it your way. This isn't your work.

Chicky: That is the arrangement. I could do with seeing los Super Medicos bloodied and bruised.

Merc 1: Just the way we like it. I'd call them crazy for wanting that kind of match with us, but the truth is they are tough guys who know how to brawl.

Chicky: I'll give them that. Unless they are planning something...

Merc 1: We'll still do things our way if they want to or not.

Chicky: That I believe. We're out of time for this week's Sports Shop. My good friend Ric Flair will be taking us out.

Flair's sign-off plays as los Mercenarios and Chicky walk off the set talking.

Rickin: Los Mercenarios and Chicky Starr seem to be on the same page.

Hugo: Well, I'm sure Chicky would prefer them to methodically take apart los Super Medicos, but that's not their style.

Rickin: We'll see how everything plays out in Roberto Clemente Stadium. We'll be right back with los Super Medicos in action.

(Commercial Break) 9:30-16:30

Rickin: We're back and los Super Medicos are making their way down to the ring to the cheers of the fans.

Hugo: Super Medico 1 is really playing to the fans today.

Rickin: I would guess he appreciates the continued support after Super Medico 3 replaced Super Medico 2.

Hugo: Between the Starrs and los Mercenarios they have a lot of injuries caused of late.

Rickin: They do, and I would bet that it will come back to haunt them.

Hugo: If los Super Medicos have anything to say about it, yes!

Rickin: And I beleive they will. Los Super Medicos are in the ring and ring announcer Eliud Gonzalez has finished introductions. There is the bell.

Los Tejanos vs. Los Super Medicos

Medicos show slightly improved teamwork, spending a little less time between tags. A blind tag by Super Medico 1 leads to him cutting off a comeback by Tejano 1 with his signature punch rush. Super Medico 2 tags in again quickly and 1 slams 2 down on top of Tejano 1 for the 3.

Los Super Medicos by pinfall in 4:26 with an assisted senton

Rickin: Good improvement shown by los Super Medicos as a team.

Hugo: Good use of blind tags at the end, yes!

Rickin: Up next our own Huracan Castillo Jr. will be taking on Jumpin' Joe Savoldi from MACW in Light Heavyweight Tournament. Don't go anywhere fans.

(Commercial Break) 16:30-22:00

Rickin: As we return Huracan Castillo Jr. is on his way to the ring. He's getting a lot of fan support.

Hugo: He and Miguelito Perez will need that support in just over a week against Boyd and the Crusher.

Rickin: They will get it for sure. These fans have no love for Barrabas or his charges.

Hugo: I doubt these fans have anything against Savoldi.

Rickin: My guess on what I've been told is they will find him likeable.

Hugo: We'll have to see what that means for Castillo's crowd support.

Rickin: We will, yes. Savoldi is on his way out now and Castillo is in the ring.

Hugo: From what I've heard Savoldi is a capable high flier and very energetic.

Rickin: Yes, and a young man who stays within the rules.

Hugo: Of course you'd like him then.

Rickin: Just like you would if he broke them often enough.

Hugo: As often as he needs to!!

Rickin: Like I said. Savoldi is in the ring and we're ready to go.

Huracan Castillo Jr. vs. Jumpin' Joe Savoldi

The two young wrestlers put on a fast-paced, clean match. Savoldi gets a nearfall with a running crossbody. He ducks a little early and Castillo jumps over with a sunset flip for two and a half. Both men get frustrated and things get a little heated. Punches are excghanged, leading to a big Castillo lariat for a close nearfall. Castillo misses on a missile dropkick and Savoldi piledrives him. Savoldi flies off the top with an elbow drop for the three.

Joe Savoldi by pinfall in 10:55 with a top rope elbow drop

Rickin: What a tremendous mathcup. Tough luck for Castillo missing on the dropkick.

Hugo: There is areason it is called a high-risk move!

Rickin: You do have a point there. the fans did star getting behind Savoldi though. We'll be right back with our main event, Owen Hart taking on a still injured Invader 2.

(Commercial Break) 22:00-34:30

Rickin: It's main event time fans. You can hear the boos as Owen Hart makes his way to the ring.

Hugo: Do you think these fans would boo Owen if he was fighting Chicky Starr the same way he is fighting Ricky Santana?

Rickin: That's an odd question and I'm not sure.

Hugo: Yeah, me either. Still, I wonder if it isn't more about who your enemies are than who your friends are.

Rickin: I'd say both were factors. Owen Hart seems to care less and less about what the fans think of late. When he first came in he seemed to want them on his side.

Hugo: Then he realized it wasn't going to happen when he was fightng Ricky Santana!

Rickin: That may be it. Hart is in the ring and here comes Invader 2.

Hugo: BOTH his arms are taped up...and his ribs...

Rickin: This isn't going to go well.

Hugo: It could be a trick....or only one of the three is still injured.

Rickin: Or Invader 2 could have rushed back.

Hugo: Or that.

Rickin: Either way, Invader 2 is going to face an uphill battle.

Hugo: He's ready for that though!

Rickin: I would agree. Owen Hart is attacking before the bell. Referee Victor Quinonez is calling for the match to start.

Owen Hart vs. Invader 2

Hart stomps away and picks out the left arm to work. Invader 2 makes valiant comebacks only to be cut off by rakes to the eyes and repeated attacks on the arm. Invader 2 hits a double chop to the throat late, but the damage to the arm weakens the move enough to allow Owen to kick out at the last instant. Owen goes back to the arm and catches Invader 2 with a belly to belly suplex for the 3.

Owen Hart by pinfall in 11:43 with a belly to belly suplex

Hart continues the assault on Invader 2 until Invader 1 and Carlitos Colon show up to run him off and help Invader 2 out of the arena.

Rickin: Jumpin' Joe Savoldi and Owen Hart advance tonight.

Hugo: Invader 2 may have hurt himself worse...

Rickin: He might have. Owen's post-match attack can't help either. Next week we have a great show for you fans. Ricky Santana will be taking on Kuniaki Kobayashi from Japan in one semifinal matchup.

Hugo: Owen Hart and Joe Savoldi in the other!

Rickin: I only hop Joe Savoldi brings some kind of backup. Our main event next week will be Bam Bam taking on Invader 1.

Hugo: HUGE match!!

Rickin: I'm also told that Dutch Mantell and Hangman Bobby Jaggers have signed a mtch for April 19th. We'll be putting the matches for that card on the screen as we leave you. Be sure to join us next week.

Hugo: Big show!!!

Main Event - Abdullah the Butcher w/Chicky Starr vs. Carlitos Colon © for the Universal Heavyweight Championship

Los Invaders (1 & 3) vs. Los Primos Starr © for the Caribbean Tag Team Championships

Bam Bam w/Barrabas vs. Hercules Ayala © for the Caribbean Heavyweight Championship

Dutch Mantell vs. Bobby Jaggers

Huracan Castillo Jr. & Miguelito Perez vs. Jonathan Boyd & the Crusher w/Barrabas

Gama Singh vs. TNT

Light Heavyweight Tournament Finals

What a great show. I'm all for a Mantell/Jaggers feud. Super Medicos continue to improve as they get ready for Los Mercenarios. Loved the two Light Heavyweight tournament matches. Great seeing Savoldi representing Mid Atlantic well. Owen gets the win over a banged up Invader 2. Hart/Savoldi should be a fun fast paced match. Santana/Kobayashi should be an action packed hard hitting match up. Man this tournament has been a lot of fun. TNT/Singh continues to be one of my favorite programs here. Cant wait for April 19th!

Original Airdate: April 18th, 1986

Rickin: Welcome fans to our last television show before that huge card tomorrow night.

Hugo: HUGE!!!

Rickin: It's only fitting that tonight's show is big as well.

Hugo: Bam Bam is here!!

Rickin: That's right, and he is in our big main event. We'll see the return to the ring of Hangman Bobby Jaggers tonight.

Hugo: And probably see Dutch Mantell too!

Rickin: I don't doubt it. Huracan Castillo Jr. and Miguelito Perez will stop by the desk before their last match going into their showdown with Jonathan Boyd and the Crusher.

Hugo: I wonder if Castillo's loss last week will affect them at all.

Rickin: It might, we'll have to wait and see. We'll have our semi-final match-ups in the Light Heavyweight tournament. Owen Hart will square off with Jumpin' Joe Savoldi out of MACW. Then Ricky Santana will take on Japanese veteran

Kuniaki Kobayashi.

Hugo: Two very interesting matches style-wise! I love Owen, but I want to see how Santana handles Kobayashi.

Rickin: That will be an interesting match-up for sure. There will be no Chicky's Sports Shop this week as we have enough big matches on the card that will take up all of our time.

Hugo: What?!? Chicky will have something to say about this next week!

Rickin: I imagine he will. And our main event will feature Invader 1 taking on Bam Bam.

Hugo: What a great way to go into Roberto Clemente Stadium tomorrow night for our fans!

Rickin: I can't imagine it will do wonders for Invader 1's chances of taking the Caribbean titles from the Starrs tomorrow night, but he's never backed down from a challenge.

Hugo: He will wish he had!!

Rickin: I tend to agree. Hangman Bobby Jaggers is on his way to the ring.

Hugo: How did the fans get this much garbage already?!?

Rickin: Regardless of how, they are letting Jaggers know how they feel about him.

Hugo: I didn't know Dutch Mantell had so many fans!

Rickin: I suppose some of it is due to los Mercenarios aligning themselves with Chicky Starr, but I would say there was always a respect for Dutch Mantell's ability.

Hugo: He is a great wrestler!

Rickin: Agreed. Jaggers having something to do with the attack on Mantell by los Mercenarios is going to come back to haunt him.

Hugo: Hangman Bobby Jaggers is a very tough man and a capable wrestler when he wants to be. He can handle it.

Rickin: For his sake I hope so. Referee Ricky Vargas is calling for the bell.

Armandito Salgado vs. Hangman Bobby Jaggers

Jaggers uses brawling and illegal tactics to control. A big elbow drop almost puts Sallgado away, but Jaggers pulls him up. Dutch Mantell hits the ring with a vengeance and they brawl all over ringside with both men busted open.

Bobby Jaggers by disqualification in 3:46 due to interference

Rickin: Dutch Mantell isn't waiting until tomorrow night.

Hugo: This is getting wild!! Mantell has the ring bell!

Rickin: I'm told we're going to take a commercial break and settle this down. We'll be right back with Huracan Castillo Jr. and Miguelito Perez at the desk.

(Commercial Break) 0-6:30

Rickin: As you can see fans, Dutch Mantell is being ushered out of the arena with Bobby Jaggers shouting at him across a sea of security and wrestlers . I have been joined at the desk by Huracan Castillo Jr. and Miguelito Perez. Tough loss last week Huracan.

Castillo: It was, but Savoldi got me. I missed the dropkick and he took advantage. I wish Savoldi all the luck in the world against Owen Hart. I was impressed with him. He wrestled me clean all the way through.

Rickin: The two of you have a match against Jonathan Boyd and the Crusher in Roberto Clemente Coliseum. I know you've been waiting for that one.

Perez: We had to put that on the back burner when the Caribbean tag titles were up for grabs. But we never forgot what we owed those two and Barrabas.

Castillo: Barrabas has been more and more actively involved in their matches. We know we have to watch out for that.

Rickin: There are some who would say that he has been involving himself in their matches too much and he hurts their chances of winning.

Castillo: Yeah, he cost them their 6-man titles in Texas. But we don't get to count on that. We have to focus on trying to win the match.

Perez: The more attention we pay to Barrabas, the less time we put into beating Boyd and the Crusher. It's been a struggle, trying to get used to coming out here without my father managing us, cutting down on the mistakes, finding some momentum, but we feel like we're on the right track. We just have to take care of business on Saturday!

Rickin: There go two very focused young men.

Hugo: Yes, but is that enough for them to beat Boyd and the Crusher?

Rickin: I would say they have developed into one of the more cohesive units in the WWC.

Hugo: They have teamed together for most of their young careers. They definitely have their teamwork down!

Rickin: And their confidence has been growing, even with the setbacks.

Hugo: That is something most young wrestlers struggle with. It's hard to keep your confidence up when you hit those roadblocks that all young wrestlers hit.

Rickin: I would guess that both of their fathers are involved behind the scenes helping them deal with those setbacks.

Hugo: Yes! And you can see that it helps.

Rickin: Referee Tomas Marin has called for the bell.

Los Assassins (1 & 3) vs. Huracan Castillo Jr. and Miguelito Perez

Castillo & Perez control with their smooth teamwork and babyface offense. A comeback by Assassin 1 is cut off by a Perez powerslam. Blind tag by Castillo and he climbs up top. Perez holds the Assassin for the missile dropkick, which gets Castillo the 3 count.

Huracan Castillo Jr. & Miguelito Perez by pinfall in 5:19 with an assisted missile dropkick

Rickin: Big win for Castillo and Perez in more ways than one.

Hugo: Missile dropkick!

Rickin: That has to help Castillo's confidence. Good job by Perez of helping his partner out.

Hugo: Yes! They may need that weapon tomorrow night to put away Boyd and the Crusher!

Rickin: They just might. We'll be right back with Owen Hart taking on Joe Savoldi.

(Commercial Break) 6:30-15:00

Rickin: We're back fans and Owen Hart is on his way to the ring.

Hugo: It looks like the fans have been re-collecting their garbage...

Rickin: Owen Hart is now jawing with a fan that hit him with a cup of...something.

Hugo: Let's not spend too much time on that point!

Rickin: Agreed. Hart definitely likes to go to the ring first. I think we all know why after his last few matches.

Hugo: Every advantage counts!

Rickin: It does, but Hart is very liberal in finding those advantages.

Hugo: There is a lot on the line! Championships mean more exposure and more money!

Rickin: And Owen could show it off to his family back home.

Hugo: Yes!

Rickin: While lying about how he got it. Here comes Joe Savoldi and he's getting more than a few cheers.

Hugo: He did well last week and Huracan Castillo Jr. endorsed him earlier.

Rickin: It doesn't hurt that Owen Hart is his opponent. This crowd doesn't want to see Hart advance.

Hugo: They might have to watch that happen anyway!

Rickin: Hart is a great technician and high flier. But Savoldi has more experience.

Hugo: Will he do whatever it takes to win?!?

Rickin: I think he proved last week that he's going to stay within the rules. He found success before and I wouldn't count him out this week.

Hugo: Not counting him out, I just think he hurts his chances!

Rickin: He might, but I think that's a chance worth taking. Savoldi is wary of getting in the ring.

Hugo: Smart!

Rickin: Ring announcer Eliud Gonzalez has finished his introductions and the bell has been sounded. Hart is complaining that Savoldi needs to get in the ring.

Hugo: The match IS started...

Rickin: True, but we know what Owen really wants. Savoldi can't wait much longer or he'll be counted out.

Hugo: There it is! Owen attacked him!!

Owen Hart vs. Jumpin' Joe Savoldi

Hart presses his advantage, grabbing a headlock and using the hair to keep it applied. Savoldi manages to get a headlock of his own and Owen claims his hair was pulled, which referee Victor Quinonez doesn't buy. Owen goes to the eyes and looks to be going for another headlock before dragging Savoldi's eyes across the top rope. Savoldi finally has enough and starts punching Hart repeatedly in the corner, which leads to Quinonez backing him off. Owen rushes out of the corner with a dropkick for a nearfall. A side suplex by Owen gets another nearfall. Savoldi with a piledriver for a narfall. Savoldi slams Owen down and climbs up top, but Owen stumbles into the ropes and crotches him on the turnbuckle. A belly to belly suplex off the top wins the match for Hart.

Owen Hart by pinfall in 10:45 with a second rope belly to belly

Rickin: Hart seems very pleased with himself.

Hugo: He won!

Rickin: What a great win it was. Owen Hart will advance and the crowd is none too happy. When we come back Ricky Santana will be taking on Kuniaki Kobayashi. Don't go anywhere.

(Commercial Break) 15:00-27:30

Rickin: Welcome back ladies and gentlemen. On his way to the ring right now is Ricky Santana, a young man who has been a real pleasure to watch lately.

Hugo: He's definitely becoming a star!

Rickin: Yes he has. This tournament could serve to cement that, but it could also prove to be a roadblock on the way to success.

Hugo: I'd say that he has a fair chance tonight against Kobayashi.

Rickin: He has struggled in the past against men who are willing to take shortcuts. Dutch Mantell and Owen Hart have boith given him trouble.

Hugo: I'd say he has learned to be more aggressive in dealing with it though!

Rickin: I hope so, because he will need every bit of aggression to deal with Kuniaki Kobayashi tonight.

Hugo: Speaking of Kobayashi, here he comes!

Rickin: Smart of Ricky to come out first.

Hugo: Very, Kobayashi is incredibly crafty! And he's got the experience edge on Santana.

Rickin: That doesn't always mean a win, but it is an advantage. And as you say, every advantage counts.

Hugo: Yes it does! Kobayashi will use everything that Santana gives him.

Rickin: We saw as much when Kobayashi beat Tommy Lane a few weeks ago.

Hugo: And these fans remember seeing that too!

Rickin: Lane is a wrestler who the fans are behind. I don't think they are going to forget how Kobayashi beat him.

Hugo: Not that Kobayashi cares!

Rickin: Kobayashi is in the ring and it looks like we are ready to go.

Ricky Santana vs. Kuniaki Kobayashi

Santana uses his babyface techincal offense early, but Kobasyashi is quick to counter with both legal and illegal tactics. Santana is clearly frustrated that Kobayashi will resort to illegal tactics to counter when his other counters aren't working. He misses a running crossbody and Kobayashi goes to work. A spinkick by Kobayashi sends Santana to the floor. Kobayashi slides under the bottom rope with a dropkick that sends Santana into the guard rail. Santana quickly makes the ropes when Kobayashi gets the bodyscissors sleeper. Owen Hart is out to taunt Santana as he starts his comeback. Kobayashi drops Santana to his knees with a thrust kick to the midsection. Santana pointedly looks at Owen as he low blows Kobayashi. Santana climbs up top as Owen screams at referee Ricky Vargas. A flying crossbody by Santana gets the three count.

Ricky Santana by pinfall in 12:08 with a top rope crossbody

Rickin: Santana advances after finally learning to fight fire with fire.

Hugo: About time! Owen is fuming!

Rickin: Santana isn't in a hurry to get at Owen Hart or take his eyes off of Kobayashi.

Hugo: Of course not! Smart move by Santana to stay in good condition for tomorrow night.

Rickin: We've got one match left.

Hugo: Invader 1 against BAM BAM!!!

Rickin: We'll return shortly fans.

(Commercial Break) 27:30-41:30

Rickin: We are back and Bam Bam is already on his way to the ring with Barrabas.

Hugo: He doesn't seem to interested in anything Barrabas is saying!

Rickin: I can't imagine he's happy with his manger after the last month.

Hugo: Bam Bam liked having gold around his waist and I think he blames Barrabas for losing it.

Rickin: I have seen the footage and it is absolutely Barrabas' fault.

Hugo: I have too, and he is trying too hard!

Rickin: Something your friend Chicky Starr has said more than once. And I agree with him on that.

Hugo: Surprising whenever you do!

Rickin: He makes some very valid points. Here comes Invader 1 and the crowd is going wild.

Hugo: He's going to need every bit of help the crowd can give him tonight!

Rickin: I thought you didn't care for that.

Hugo: I don't see the need normally. But one on one with Bam Bam you need as much help as you can get!!

Rickin: Very true. I'm surprised Invader 1 is in this match the night before he and a possibly still injured Invader 3 face the Starrs for the Caribbean tag titles.

Hugo: It's either very stupid or very brave! Or both!

Rickin: I don't disagree with that statement. I wouldn't put something so important in jeaopardy by facing the most agile big man we've ever seen.

Hugo: Just think how dangerous he will be in a few years!!

Rickin: It will be sometihng to see. Refere Victor Quinonez has just called for the bell. Here we go.

Invader 1 vs. Bam Bam

Barrabas is furious that Bam Bam did not attack before the bell. Bam Bam gives him a look that causes Barrabas to immediately jump off the apron. Invader 1 starts out fast, hitting Bam Bam with big overhand chops and finishing with a double chop to the throat. That wobbles the big man but doesn't move him backwards at all. A headbutt by Bam Bam sends Invader 1 crashing to the mat and he takes a moment to collect himself before dominating the match. The match becomes a series of ever shorter Invader 1 comebacks cut off by an increasingly aggressive Bam Bam. Barrabas grabs Invader 1's leg as he hitsthe ropes for momentum and referee Quinonez looks questioningly at Barrabas when he sees Invader 1 on the mat. Bam Bam glares down at Barrabas, picks up Invader 1, drives him back down to the mat with a standing lariat, then goes back to glaring at Barrabas. Bam Bam goes to the apron and hts the slingshot splash for the three count.

Bam Bam by pinfall in 8:53 after a slingshot splash

Rickin: Very big win for Bam Bam going into his challenge for Hercules Ayala's Caribbean Heavyweight Championship.

Hugo: Bam Bam isn't even looking at Barrabas!

Rickin: Barrabas is trying to congratulate his big man, but Bam Bam is having none of it.

Hugo: I think Barrabas is in trouble....

Rickin: He very well may be. We're out of time and we will show you the card for tomorrow night one last time as we leave. No tickets are available, but it will be made available on videocassette within a few weeks.

Gama Singh vs. TNT

Light Heavyweight Tournament Finals: Ricky Santana vs. Owen Hart

I have a video reference for the main.

Bam Bam is not Kamala I know, but a monster is a monster. Also, Kamala is way better than you think he is and Invader 1's biggest strength is working from underneath. Murderer he may be, but he had definite in-ring skill.

Hey Who, serious question: what is the deal with the Invaders and their masks? Sometimes they wear them, sometimes they don't... I'm watching stuff all out sequence, just random matches here and there, so it's hard for me to make sense of it.

"How did the fans get this much garbage already?!?" is such a great line. Tells a whole little story all by itself.

Invaders 2 and 3 wore them all the time. Invader 1 usually didn't by this point, but would wear the mask when teaming with either of the other two for solidarity.

One of the things Hugo will often mention on commentary (he is an incredible babyface commentator) is how the masks hide the face of the wrestler and it makes it difficult for opponents to see if what they are doing is having any effect on the Invaders. Cool little bit of psychology there if you ask me.

Awesome set up show for the huge event this Saturday! The Mantel/Jaggers brawl is just a taste of what the fans are going to get. Hart and Santana is the finals I was hoping for. They have great history and the finals should be one heck of a match. I've really liked the build for Castillo/Perez vs. Boyd and Crusher. Bam Bam and Ayala will be a great fight. After beating Invader 1, Bam Bam looks ready but I hope Barrabas isn't to much of a distraction for him. Man, all this and Colon vs. Abby in the main event! What a loaded card!

Invaders 2 and 3 wore them all the time. Invader 1 usually didn't by this point, but would wear the mask when teaming with either of the other two for solidarity.

One of the things Hugo will often mention on commentary (he is an incredible babyface commentator) is how the masks hide the face of the wrestler and it makes it difficult for opponents to see if what they are doing is having any effect on the Invaders. Cool little bit of psychology there if you ask me.

That's a pretty straight-forward explanation. Thanks.

I was under the impression that I'd also seen #2 wrestling without his mask, but I guess it must have been #1 and I misunderstood.

WWC Card Roberto Clemente Stadium

April 19th, 1986

Mr. X & Y vs. the Rock 'n' Roll RPMs

The RPMs use their usual smooth teamwork to control. Big dropkick by Lane to stop a Mr. Y comeback. The side slam/neckbreaker combo puts Mr. Y down for the 3.

TNT w/El Profe vs. Gama Singh

TNT and Gama Singh brawl back and forth for most of the match, TNT's chops and throat thrusts against Singh's punches, knees and chops. TNT starts to pull ahead after a big superkick. Gama Singh hits a big slam and backbreaker. A few rollups for nearfalls, then Profe tries to distract Singh by jumping on the apron. TNT ends up hitting Profe off the apron when Singh moves and is distracted, allowing Singh to hit a back suplex that sets up the camel clutch. Profe recovers before TNT taps out and clobbers referee Tomas Marin from behind for the DQ. Singh chases Profe to the back as the crowd cheers and blows their horns.

Los Mercenarios vs. Los Super Medicos

Barnburner of a brawl with Merc 2 and Medico 3 disappearing thrugh the entrance and emerging back into the arena bloody. While they were out Merc and Medico 1 brawled back and forth around the ring with Medico 1 hitting his signature punch rush. The crowd was rocking as all four brawled to the back and referee Victor Quinonez called the match a double countout.

Barrabas surprisingly stays out of this match beyond his constant taunting of Castillo and Perez. The young Puerto Ricans start fast and get the crowd rolling with their babyface offense. Boyd hits Castillo while he's running the ropes and the New Zealanders take over. The crowd is big behind Perez when he finally gets the tag from Castillo after a miscommunication by Boyd and Crusher. Perez is a house of fire and hits his big powerslam on both Boyd (good pop) and the Crusher (big pop). Castillo hits a missile dropkick on Boyd for the three. The two young Puerto Ricans celebrate with the front row until both notice their fathers grinning in the entrance. Both run over for a big celebration the crowd eats up.

Short Intermission

Los Invaders (1 & 3) vs. Los Primos Starr © for the Caribbean Tag Team Titles

Invader 3 has taped ribs and Invader 1 is looking the worse for wear after his match with Bam Bam. Ron and Chicky are taunting both with the belts, which backfires as it fires up both Invaders. The Starrs are on the receiving end of a beating that leaves Ron bleeding. Invader 1 gets caught with a few big knees to the midsection by Ron Starr and gets worked over. Invader 3 gets a big pop when he takes the tag, but ends up getting his ribs worked over when the momentum runs out. Invader 1 gets a HUGE pop when he gets the tag. As he is taking on both Starrs, los Pastores emerge from the back and start attacking los Invaders. Referee Ricky Vargas calls for the DQ. The Starrs clear ringside as los Pastores continue the assault on los Invaders. The flagpole is about to be brought into play when Invader 2, Hercules Ayala and Carlitos Colon emerge from the back to run los Pastores off.

Bam Bam w/Barrabas vs. Hercules Ayala © for the NWA WWC Caribbean Heavyweight Championship

Bam Bam seems ready to hit Barrabas pre-match. He has some angry words for his manager just before the bell. Bam Bam stops all of Ayala's power spots, but the big Puerto Rican can still stagger Bam Bam with punches. As the match progresses Bam Bam starts using his quickness advantage more and Ayala has to go to the leg. Bam Bam kicks Ayala off when he goes for the reverse figure four. Barrabas, who had grabbed a chair, is now on the apron. He hits Ayala with the chair as he hurdles towards the ropes right in front of referee Victor Quinonez, who calls for the DQ. Bam Bam is furious with Barrabas and decks him, knocking him out cold. The crowd cheers Bam Bam as he stalks backstage.

Dutch is sporting a big bandage on his head from the TV and his shoe-baby whip as he enters first. Jaggers has both as well. He eats up the crowd's hatred. Mantell ambushes Jaggers with the whip and it's off to the races. Both men are a bloody mess five minutes in and the ring bell gets smeared with Dutch's blood. The brawl goes on for a while until Dutch gets a wooden chair from a fan in the front row and breaks off one of the legs. Jaggers high-tails it to the back faster than a man his size ought to be able to with Dutch not far behind as the crowd rabidly cheers Dutch on.

Short intermission

Domingo Robles vs. Invader 2

Invader 2 is still a little banged up, but manages to control 2/3 of the match against Robles and pin Robles after a double throat chop.

Ricky Santana vs. Owen Hart for the vacant NWA WWC Light Heavyweight Championship

Owen is out first with his brother Bruce. The crowd is booing and throwing garbage and Bruce is incensed. Owen brushes it off and Bruce follows suit. Ricky Santana gets a big reaction from the crowd, which further incenses Bruce. Owen again brushes it off, as well as Santana's obvious anger at him. Bruce seems like he is having a hard time dealing with it. The match is back and forth and clean as a whistle. Santana gets a nearfall with a running crossbody. He tries the fisherman's suplex but Owen reverses into a suplex before he can get the leg hooked and gets two. Owen wants the belly to belly but Santan floats over into an O'Connor roll for a nearfall. Owen surprises Santana with a small package for a nearfall. They exchange heated punches and Santana kicks a 50 yard field goal between Owen's legs. Owen's face goes red and Burce is livid at ringside yelling at referee Tomas Marin. The crowd is overjoyed and this gets Bruce even hotter. Santana hooks Hart and hits the fisherman's suplex for 3. Bruce is in both Santana and Marin's face as Marin hands Santana the belt. The crowd is going wild. Santana and Marin both try to explain to Bruce, but he shoves Santana. Santana rolls out of the ring and heads for the back, holding his belt. Bruce Hart tends to his brother Owen as the crowd continues to throw garbage into the ring.

Abdullah the Butcher w/Chicky Starr vs. Carlitos Colon © for the NWA WWC Universal Championship

Starr and Abdullah are pelted with garbage on their way to the ring. Colon gets the biggest reaction of the night. Abdullah ambushes Colon on his way to the ring with the fork and starts carving him up. The match goes to the ring and Chicky takes the fork from Abby. Referee Victor Quinonez conducts a search of Abdullah, which gives Colon some time to recover. Colon is able to mount a small comeback, but Abby just starts grinding him down. The elbow drop misses after an Abby slam and Colon is fired up! The crowd is rabid as Colon staggers Abby with punches and sends him to the corner with a jumping headbutt. Colon with a monkey flip out of the corner! Abdullah is staggering around with Colon's blood smeared all over his forehead from the headbutt. Colon gets the fork when Abdullah drops it and goes to work. Quinonez gets the fork from Colon, which gives Abby the opening for a throat thrust. They trade strikes with both getting a small measure of control. Chicky jumps on the apron as Colon headbutts Abby (the blood!) and Quinonez immediately goes over to remove Chicky. Colon shouts something at Chicky as Abby gets something from his tights. Colon is met with some sort of liqiud to the eyes when he turns around and Abby hits a rushing lariat off the ropes to knock Colon down. Chicky drops off the apron and Abby drops the elbow for three. Colon has not stopped pawing at his eyes and the crowd is stunned. Abdullah and Chicky celebrate with belt outside the ring as Quinonez checks in on Colon and starts sniffing the air. The crowd pelt Chicky and Abby with garbage as Chicky grins and raises Abdullah's arm. Ayala and all three Invaders come out to check on Colon, who has to be led out of the ring and to the back in front of a stunned crowd.

Wow, I did not see that finish coming. Almost risking a riot being set off, I'd imagine.

A lot of DQ finishes here. Was that standard booking for big cards in WWC? Interestingly I feel like that booking style (at least in this case) gives more weight to the matches with clear winners. Gives you the option of keeping some of the big feuds going, too.

Castillo and Perez celebrating with their fathers was a nice moment.

I almost feel sad after reading the results of some of the big cards in this project. I have been looking forward to it, now it's over...

There are really only 2 DQ finishes, but a lot of wonky ones yes.

Both DQs served a purpose. Bam Bam and Barrabas had been building up a while and something had to give. If you notice Barrabas hadn't done anything in the tag match and his team lost also. So he was feeling the need, but got it wrong. Again. And TNT hadn't lost yet, so as his manager would you rather have to talk about a submission loss or a DQ loss? Also, the fans got to see Profe get chased out of the arena by a vengeful Gama Singh. If you read the interview, it seems like Singh has more animosity towards Profe anyway.

The other wonky finishes, most big name PR matches I have seen don't have superb finishes to them beyond the babyface going over at the end of a feud. Most Abby matches end with him retreating to the back as the babyface beats him up. for whatever reason the PR fans are rocking right along with it. A lot of matches end with both guys brawling outside the ring. But we do have a small sampling of PR matches from big shows. One big takeaway for me from the PR I've watched is that as long as the babyface is getting some shots in, be it a wonky finish, a DCO, whatever, the fans are still happy. They want to see good guys punching the bad guys, buckets of blood and the bad guy getting his one way or the other before they leave the arena.

As an example of the crowds and Medico 1's awesome punches, which are the first offense you see. The Rougeaus play incredible heels and the crowd is spectacular even for PR.