Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestlemania 34

KawadaSmile

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Nicholas thing was fun and popped the crowd in the death slot, and it was resolved in a fun way the next night. What I took from it was Braun is now a full fledged baby face who loves kids and calls Angle ,Sir. It seemed like a swift character change.

I think Braun can pretty much be whatever they want him to be right now. Though it’s going to get harder by the day to have him be a heel unless they have him slaughter Bryan, or something.

The whole point of the angle was that Braun didn't need or want a partner, Kurt was forcing him to have a partner, and in response he chose the most ridiculous person possible as a way of saying "fuck you". It's not WWE's fault that everyone was fantasy booking it to be Joe or Big Cass or whoever.

Agreed here. Picking a good partner wouldve been completely out of character and wouldnt have fit the angle. I thought James Ellsworth wouldve fit the spirit of the angle and gotten a decent pop. Picking a random kid fits the angle.

The whole point of the angle was that Braun didn't need or want a partner, Kurt was forcing him to have a partner, and in response he chose the most ridiculous person possible as a way of saying "fuck you". It's not WWE's fault that everyone was fantasy booking it to be Joe or Big Cass or whoever.

In the past if a guy wont pick a partner then one is chosen for him. A WWE jobber could have had a big push for this match.

In the past if a guy wont pick a partner then one is chosen for him. A WWE jobber could have had a big push for this match.

But he did pick a partner. He chose to circumvent the rules by choosing a partner without having to conform to the expectations of those who are enforcing the rules in the first place. He is following the rules all the while flipping a bird at them in the process. That's the point of the story.

No Way Jose was right there and probably would have fit what they were going for just as well and given him a more meaningful debut.

And people would have bitched up a storm. True, they're bitching about Nicholas too, but at least that was unique. Jose would have been a profound disappointment. His debut 24 hours later was met with apathy or at least a mild shrug (maybe not by the live crowd - I don't know - but it certainly felt like he got an "ehh, ok" reaction everywhere else).

No Way Jose was right there and probably would have fit what they were going for just as well and given him a more meaningful debut.

And people would have bitched up a storm. True, they're bitching about Nicholas too, but at least that was unique. Jose would have been a profound disappointment. His debut 24 hours later was met with apathy or at least a mild shrug (maybe not by the live crowd - I don't know - but it certainly felt like he got an "ehh, ok" reaction everywhere else).

Plus the Nicholas thing had a lot easier out than using an active wrestler would have. The point wasnt to have Braun be in the tag division after Mania.

Yeah but it's fine because Jose IS the biggest geek.

Honestly, the real solution would have been just to do it on the pre-show or to have to not set up the match in the first place or to have Braun as part of the main and have him help beat the crap out of Roman too. It's not like this was some sort of "best possible scenario." They're the ones who got themselves in this situation in the first place.

Yeah but it's fine because Jose IS the biggest geek.

Honestly, the real solution would have been just to do it on the pre-show or to have to not set up the match in the first place or to have Braun as part of the main and have him help beat the crap out of Roman too. It's not like this was some sort of "best possible scenario." They're the ones who got themselves in this situation in the first place.

Definitely. I mean, I assume they were holding out Braun in case they did have to insert him in the main for some reason, like Roman legit getting popped in some PED scandal or Brock flaking out. When they didn't have to, they went for something that would at least be memorable for Braun, while also not entangling him in something meaningless long-term, I guess?

My problem wasn't that they did it, but rather in how they ended it. Such a wasted opportunity for a couple of heels to shove Braun in a meat locker and corner Nicholas in the ring to scare him into lying down to take a pin. The Bar could have done that, and so could have Owens and Zayn. Braun should have thought this through ahead of time.

TBH, I didn't buy into the huge debut or comeback storyline at any time. My initial thought was "eh, it's gonna be some schmock, Ellsworth level". Some no name, random guy from the back or some jobber, but not someone to get hyped about. After all, pretty much everyone you could've coupled with Braun would have been second fiddle, so it was the logical solution.

I mean, i didn't guess it would be a child, but yeah, there were quasi no expectation towards the partner here.

Ellsworth is about the only legitimate "surprise" that would've been better than Nicholas.

Joe: No. Square peg, round hole. Wouldn't have fit with Braun or the storyline.

Cass: He would suck as any kind of "surprise" - Braun or not.

Big Show: An imposing team and would have been fun in the long run - but as a "surprise," it would've been as welcome as an Andre fart.

Jose: No one would have cared. He was in the crowd for WM, showing on camera during the Nicholas angle, and still no one cared.