Pro Wrestling Only

[2018-04-07-ROH-Supercard of Honor XII] Cody vs Kenny Omega

ShittyLittleBoots

This ruled. The atmosphere was amazing & Cody was on absolute fire - EASILY the better performer in this match. His performance was terrific; great facial expressions, awesome storytelling w/ his overall body language, loved him talking shit to the crowd & spitting beer at them, that Shattered Dreams tease was AWESOME, his work on top in general ruled.. So much good stuff! I thought Kenny's performance fighting from underneath was very dull, but Cody looked like an absolute star. Nothing funnier in wrestling right now than people "mocking" him for being a "3-Star Savior" or whatever, because 3-3.75 matches fucking RULE. This was one like that. Real good stuff, would've been even better had Kenny brought it like Cody did. ***3/4

Being there live in the front row at ringside, the atmosphere was great, but I was pretty much satiated after about 10 minutes. It became pretty obvious that Cody just couldn't take Kenny's stuff and make it look good and that stopped it from being a really good match. It certainly didn't help that the show was just too fucking long, but this match was also too long. And of course by the end, it was just a 40 minute episode of Being the Elite.

I wasn't feeling the pacing and structure of the match, I don't find Cody to be an interesting lead, esp. not against the Best Bout Machine. I went into it expecting an Omega carryjob with wild spots and big bumps, but he was on cruise control. And Cody's bad selling of Omega's offense didn't help either.

It was really damn good for 15 minutes, until Cody cut off Omega's comeback and went into the figure four. From then on, it really dragged and Cody got exposed as a guy who just shouldn't try to do "workrate". He's a really good heel, his duo with Brandy works wonders. Have him work around that (basically, work like the Miz more, although I'd argue than at this point, Miz is a better in-ring worker actually, although I would never want to see him work a single match that long either). He took some pretty poor bumps for Omega's offense, which made the match pretty unbalanced, as Omega on the contrary made everything Cody did look terrific. Even the crowd kinda died during a long period. The bump that woke up everyone of course was Brandy going through the table. She's a trooper. The false finish (near-fall, let's not get crazy) which followed was really effective. Problem is that the dynamic really died down again for me after that point, and no self-conscious "This is awesome" chant will convince me when the actual crowd noise isn't sustained. Then they got into "kick out of big moves/lay down selling" mode, with the super annoying "fight forever" chant and my goodwill is beginning to wane seriously as I felt I was watching that big Mania Match I thankfully didn't get to see this year. Add in overbooking, ref bumps and run-ins and really, to me the match is dying now. Way too long. The match ending one minute after the Brandi bump would have made it really good overall. As it is, it's just an overblown mess to me at the end.

• GSR changed the title to [2018-04-07-ROH-Supercard of Honor XII] Cody vs Kenny Omega