Pro Wrestling Only

RIP Bruno Sammartino

Migs

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow--I believe footage of the actual neck-breaking is considered Holy Grail stuff (there's been long-circulating partial footage of the match, but not the botched slam, if I have the story right).

The show itself was broadcast on HBO and is otherwise notable for being Ric Flair's first match at MSG (which was on his first DVD). I don't know if it ever aired on WWE's pre-Network on-demand services, though.

Wow--I believe footage of the actual neck-breaking is considered Holy Grail stuff (there's been long-circulating partial footage of the match, but not the botched slam, if I have the story right).

The show itself was broadcast on HBO and is otherwise notable for being Ric Flair's first match at MSG (which was on his first DVD). I don't know if it ever aired on WWE's pre-Network on-demand services, though.

Flair's first MSG match was actually on the 3/1/76 show, and that is the one on his first DVD. His second MSG match was indeed on the show headlined by Bruno vs Hansen, but that match, against Frankie Williams, has never surfaced that I'm aware.

Also, the botched bodyslam did make at least one other appearance on tape, on an episode of the old Tom Weaver Greatest Sports Legends show devoted to Bruno, in a blink and you miss it montage of Bruno's greatest foes

Cause of death was revealed as organ failure due to heart issues stemming from the rheumatic fever he acquired at 12 years old. People with those issues aren't expected to live past 60. Puts it all in a new light. Imagine if he never had that fever he could very well have lived past 100 without those conditions.

The man was just a beast.