Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-07-19-AJPW] Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue vs Yoshihiro Takayama & Masahito Kakihara

superkix

Kakihara pissing off Kawada is something that needs to be witnessed. He immediately pops Kawada with a slap and Kawada’s selling is fantastic here as he quickly tags out to Taue, who gets popped a few good times himself! Oh boy, when Kawada gets back in there, he takes it to Kaki with slaps, knocks him down, picks him back up, and then smacks the shit out of him. Kawada and Taue work Kaki over for a while, Taue piledriving Kaki at one point, and each time Kaki tries to fight back, Kawada usually shuts him down with a boot to the face or kicks. But he keeps fighting until he gets the jujigatame on Kawada and the tag to Takayama. He eats some Kawada kicks, Kawada eats some knees, but Takayama’s mostly a ghost in this match. The final stretch with Kaki and Taue was alright – I liked Taue just shoving Kaki down when he keeps coming at him, but it lacked the fire of his exchanges with Kawada.

• 2 months later...

The first half of this was great action. One of the better „small scale“ Kawada performances of the year and also the first time I've seen Kakihara show some kind of fire in AJPW. Lots of stiff shots and I liked Kawada torturing him with a few basic armlocks. The 2nd half was not as good as the first. I was slightly annoyed with Kawada no-selling the armbar and the UWFi boys being threated like jobbers.

• GSR changed the title to [1998-07-19-AJPW] Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue vs Yoshihiro Takayama & Masahito Kakihara