AWA results for May 1986

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#41 rainmakerrtv

rainmakerrtv
  • Members
  • 1746 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:57 AM

The Big Dan Boot, followed by the Big Dan Leg Drop... hmmm... maybe Real American Machine is Dan Spivey!

Fact is, no one has ever seen them in the same room at the same time.

#42 GeneJackson95

GeneJackson95

King of All Wrestling Media

• Members
  • 938 posts
  • Interests:Pro Wrestling (obviously), Comedy, and that's about it.

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:11 PM

I know I'm way behind but I loved the debut of Col Debeers and Sabu.

#43 LowBlowPodcast

LowBlowPodcast
  • Members
  • 3184 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 07:41 AM

I like the movement of the AWA and how people are falling into place. I look forward to your consistency with this group and how they will build up feuds with one another. 

#44 Captain Redneck

Captain Redneck
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:48 AM

I like the name "Playboy After Dark" as it reminds me of an old TV show. I would however like to see some more play by play description for the matches.

#45 rainmakerrtv

rainmakerrtv
  • Members
  • 1746 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:14 AM

AWA All-Star Wrestling on ESPN / TSN, May 16th

Col. Debeers vs. Jacob Derwin

Buddy Rose was looking like the proverbial cat that ate the canary as he led his powerful new cohort to the ring. Less happy about this was young rookie Derwin, who was probably wishing he hadn’t gotten out of bed this morning. Debeers unleashed a savage mauling on Derwin, dropping him hard on his head on multiple occasions before finally polishing him off with the face first piledriver. If Sgt. Slaughter is going to get revenge on Debeers and Playboy After Dark, he certainly has his work cut out for him.

The Great Kabuki & Nord The Barbarian vs. Ken Patera & Crusher Blackwell

Kabuki and Nord have made for an unusually alliance, with Sunshine’s personal bodyguard and the powerful stalwart of the Snakepit finding common ground in their mutual hatred of Sheikh Kaissie’s men.  Patera and Blackwell went at it full force against them, with all four men getting busted open at different points. It was all Kabuki and Nord could do just to survive, but Kabuki was able to catch Patera in a series of vicious kneestrikes to the head, and followed up with a roundhouse kick that was just barely able to get the three count. Kabuki and Nord won this round, but you can bet they aren’t done with the Syndicate.

Sabu vs. Brendan Shapiro

The mysterious man who attacked Cactus Jack last week turns out to be named Sabu, rumoured to be the nephew of the original Sheikh. He certainly seems to have inherited his uncle’s trademark insanity, mauling young Shapiro both inside and outside of the ring. Roddy Piper was clearly finding all of this incredibly amusing, as he chortled at ringside while he watched the massacre.  Sabu seemed to finally put Shapiro out of his misery with a top rope legdrop, but even that wasn’t enough, as  Piper proceeded to slap Shapiro’s face as the rookie lay unconscious on the mat. Is it just me, or has Piper’s Pit gotten even crazier?

AWA Southern Tag Team Title Match : Black Irish © vs. British Steel

British Steel put in a very concerted effort to wrest the Southern Tag Titles from their hated rivals in Black Irish. They worked hard to keep Finlay in their corner of the ring, tagging in and out and breaking him down with submission holds. Regal nearly had him set up for the Regal Stretch, but Finlay busted out of it by just repeatedly punching him hard in the face and was able to make the hot tag to Cameron.  Normally, this would be where it would be all over, but Regal was able to keep ducking and dodging and staying one step ahead, before Cameron was finally able to nail him with the leaping clothesline. One … two … no!!! Regal just got his shoulder up in time! A frustrated Cameron hoisted him over his shoulder to polish him off with the running powerslam, but Regal got out of it with a slide down and sent Cameron chest first into the turnbuckle, following up with a roll up that got a two and a half count.  He then tagged in Smiley, who was endeavouring to cinch in the Norman Conquest when the bell rang, signaling a 15 minute time limit draw. Both sides continued to battle after the bell, showing that British Steel’s challenge for the belt will continue.

Hector Guerrero vs. Shane Douglas

Last week, Shane Douglas pulled off what some consider to be an upset with a victory over Mando Guerrero. His brother Hector was clearly out to show that as just a fluke, as he really took it to Douglas with all of the tricks in his considerable arsenal. Douglas kept at it, with Bill Dundee cheering him on, firing back with dropkicks and high flying. Hector looked like he was going to finally put him down with the double underhook suplex, but Douglas dug in to block it, then powered out with a backdrop. Hector showed his resilience by bridging up, but Douglas was ultimately able to reverse this with a backslide that got the one two three. Douglas and Dundee were jubilant that he had once again been able to pull out the win.

Dan Spivey & Mike Rotundo vs. Kevin Sullivan & Tom Zenk

With Death Sentence currently in Japan, Sullivan brought the newest member of his stable to try to get revenge on the former Varsity Club standouts.  The anger that Sullivan and Zenk brought to the bout was, if anything, matched on the other side, as Spivey and Rotundo had clearly had a bellyful of Sullivan’s attitude and were looking to release some pent up aggression on him. The momentum of the match swung back and forth , with Sullivan and Zenk pulling out every underhanded tactic they could think of and Rotundo and Spivey countering with a blend of power and skill. Rotundo had Sullivan set up for the Varsity Rush , but Zenk hit him in the head with Sullivan’s Golden Spike, and then went on to attack Spivey with it as the ref called for DQ. They continued their assault until Brian Pillman rushed to the ring, swinging a chair and running them off.

#46 rainmakerrtv

rainmakerrtv
  • Members
  • 1746 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:01 AM

AWA show from the Denver Auditorium, Denver, May 16th (as shown on ESPN / TSN Super Cards )

The Can-Am Express vs. The British Bullies

Lafon pinned Jones after a flying back body press

Masa Saito vs. Bill Dundee

Saito won with a Saito Suplex

The All-Star Squadron (Dan Spivey, Mike Rotundo & Brian Pillman) vs. Kevin Sullivan & Death Sentence

An intense, hate-filled bout that ended with Spivey nailed Gaylord with the Spivey Bomber

Rocky Mountain Thunder vs. Leo Burke & Doug Somers

White crushed Somers with a scoop power slam to score the win

Roddy Piper & Sabu vs. Jake Roberts & Cactus Jack

A crazy match that ended with Sabu piledriving Cactus on the concrete, leading to a countout victory for Piper’s Pit

Sgt. Slaughter vs. Col. Debeers

Sarge won by DQ when he was attacked by Buddy Rose

AWA World Tag Team Title Match : The Razor Boys © vs. Chavo & Hector Guerrero

An epic battle that ended when Chavo had Perez set up for a German Suplex, but Perez reversed it and Diamond super kicked Chavo into a German Suplex by Perez to defend their belts

AWA World Title Match : Ricky Steamboat © vs. Nick Bockwinkel

A long and riveting contest where Steamboat countered a figure four attempt by Bock with an inside cradle to score the hard fought one-two-three.

#47 rainmakerrtv

rainmakerrtv
  • Members
  • 1746 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:40 AM

AWA show from the Great Salt Palace, Salt Lake City, May 17th

Jerry Blackwell, Ken Patera & Sheikh Adnan Al Kaissie vs. The Great Kabuki, Nord The Barbarian & Cactus Jack

Blackwell pinned Cactus with a power slam after Sabu slipped into the ring and kicked Cactus in the back of the head

Greg Gagne vs. Maxx Payne

Payne made Gagne give up to the Payne Killer

Brian Pillman vs. Mando Guerrero

Pillman won with the Air Pillman

Chris Adams & The British Bullies vs. Ron Garvin & The Youngbloods

Adams countered the Bicycle Kick attempt by Blackman with a legsweep , then forced him to submit to the figure four

AWA Southern Title Match : Pat Tanaka © vs. Chavo Guerrero

In an incredibly competitive bout, Chavo was going for a German Suplex, but Tanaka stopped it with a back low kick, followed by a school boy rollup for the one two three

AWA Southern Tag Team Title Match : Black Irish © vs. Bill Dundee & Shane Douglas

Black Irish executed a spike piledriver on Bill Dundee to get the win

AWA American Title Match : Dan Spivey © vs. Tom Zenk

Spivey dodged a top rope flying cross body press, then hit the Spivey Bomber to defend his title

#48 SirEdger

SirEdger

Eternal nostalgic...especially about wrestling

• Members
  • 2746 posts
  • Interests:Pro wrestling, fantasy booking, hockey, football, history, UFC, baseball, video games, reading.

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:11 PM

I think I'm gonna be a huge fan of the All-Star Squadron! :)

#49 kevinmcfl

kevinmcfl
  • Members
  • 2086 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:56 PM

I know that in real life Kevin Sullivan's act became somewhat tiresome but I just found him to be so good on the mic that he was awesome.  I feel the same way about him in the AWA.  To me, ne never needs a title to be the most intriguing player in the game.

#50 spaldoni

spaldoni
  • Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:58 PM

Oh man Piper and Sabu vs. Jake and Cactus, DeBeers vs. Slaughter and Steamboat vs Bock, the fans in Denver got their money's worth and then some. Putting Sabu with Piper is genius. I like seeing Zenk as a heel. I think he can really pull this off especially with Sullivan coaching him. Count me in as an All Star Squadron fan. Watching Tanaka defend his Southern title week in and week out has been a treat. Looking forward to more Black Irish/British Steel matches. The AWA is so well balanced, something for everyone.

#51 dawho5

dawho5
  • Members
  • 3936 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:52 AM

Not fair posting 3 shows in a row!  British Steel and Black Irish would get me into the building any day of the week.  The Piper/Jake tag and Steamboat vs. Bock would have been incredible.  Pillman is on fire and Sabu is really making an impact.

#52 gordi

gordi

monster gaijin

• Members
  • 1985 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:32 AM

Not fair posting 3 shows in a row! 

Really! I'm sure it's all great stuff as usual, but maybe take some of that energy and post a comment on someone else's shows ;)

#53 gordi

gordi

monster gaijin

• Members
  • 1985 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:39 AM

Building DeBeers up as a real threat makes sense.

Kabuki and Nord are indeed an entertaining team-up.

Adding Sabu to this roster (and to Pipers Pit) almost seems unfair. Looking forward to reading about his exploits.

The Varsity Club angle continues to run hot.

As I expected, it's all great stuff. You have a great roster and you are using everyone on it really well.

#54 rainmakerrtv

rainmakerrtv
  • Members
  • 1746 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:42 AM

Sorry for the big text drop, I lost a bunch of time to Comic Con so I was in a big rush to get caught up.

#55 gordi

gordi

monster gaijin

• Members
  • 1985 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:52 AM

I lost a bunch of time to Comic Con...

That's a pretty darned good excuse. Which Con?

#56 rainmakerrtv

rainmakerrtv
  • Members
  • 1746 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:53 AM

Ottawa Comic Con.

#57 dawho5

dawho5
  • Members
  • 3936 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:56 AM

I was only kidding sir. :)  I hope you had fun at Comic Con.

#58 SirEdger

SirEdger

Eternal nostalgic...especially about wrestling

• Members
  • 2746 posts
  • Interests:Pro wrestling, fantasy booking, hockey, football, history, UFC, baseball, video games, reading.

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:41 PM

Ottawa Comic Con.

Did they get wrestlers at their Comic Con? They only had some in the first 2 in Quebec City and they haven't had in awhile. Almost considering going to Montreal's if I'd know I wouldn't have too much of a workload this summer.

#59 rainmakerrtv

rainmakerrtv
  • Members
  • 1746 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:51 PM

Ottawa Comic Con.

Did they get wrestlers at their Comic Con? They only had some in the first 2 in Quebec City and they haven't had in awhile. Almost considering going to Montreal's if I'd know I wouldn't have too much of a workload this summer.

Trish Stratus, I was at her Q & A, she was very cool and sweet.

#60 rainmakerrtv

rainmakerrtv
  • Members
  • 1746 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:14 PM

AWA show from the CU Events/Conference Center, Boulder, May 18th

Sabu vs. Cactus Jack

Cactus won by DQ after interference by Roddy Piper

The Can-Am Express vs. The Youngbloods

The Can-Ams won after a dropkick-Cobra Clutch Suplex combo on Wellington

Ken Patera vs. Bill Dundee

A stiff match with Patera finally taking the win with a shoulder breaker

Tom Zenk vs. Greg Gagne

Zenk reversed a schoolboy rollup with a fistful of tights to get the pinfall

The Great Kabuki vs. Leo Burke

Kabuki won with a thrust kick to the jaw

Chavo Guerrero vs. Shane Douglas

Douglas put in a valiant effort but went down to a top rope somersault senton

The All Star Squadron vs. Kevin Sullivan & Death Sentence

Pillman pinned Sully after a top rope sunset flip

Jake Roberts vs. Roddy Piper

Piper pinned Roberts with a double leg takedown with his feet on the ropes

Rocky Mountain Thunder vs. Mando & Hector Guerrero

Hector was going for a running cross body press on White, but was caught and White countered with a powerslam for the victory. The crowd was going crazy for both Colorado native Scorpio and former Colorado Buffalo White

AWA Canadian Title Match : Ron Garvin © vs. Buzz Sawyer

A knock down, drag out fight that ended with Garvin piledriving Sawyer to defend his title

AWA Southern Title Match : Pat Tanaka © vs. Larry Zbyszko

Both men went to a 20 minute time limit draw

AWA World Title Match : Ricky Steamboat © vs. Bob Orton

Steamboat fought out of a superplex attempt, knocked Orton off the turnbuckle then hit a top rope flying cross body press to get the one two three

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users