Pro Wrestling Only

[2018-04-29-AJPW-Champion Carnival] Shingo Takagi vs Shuji Ishikawa

ShittyLittleBoots

I feel like by the end this did drag a bit & went a little overboard w/ all the nearfalls, but it was still a damn awesome underdog tale. Shingo finds himself in a very unfamiliar position as his usual bruiser bully like offense isn't working too well against the much bigger Ishikawa - the big dog basically has an answer for every comeback Shingo gets. Both guys put on rockin' performances in their respective roles, and of course when a match like this happens at Korakuen Hall, it's always a little more special than it would be anywhere else. ***3/4

Good Lord this was awesome. In my opinion, the best match of the entire tournament. Simple yet effective story of the bigger Ishikawa trying to bully and overpower the smaller yet resilient Takagi. Loved the long-term story of Takagi working over the arm and Ishikawa's frustration at his inability to put him away. The fighting spirit spots, kick-outs, and comebacks were executed to perfection and I really believed that Takagi was putting every ounce of energy he had (and then some) to hold on just a little bit longer and land a few more shots on Ishikawa.

Legitimate MOTYC. ****3/4.

• 4 weeks later...

Good Lord this was awesome. In my opinion, the best match of the entire tournament. Simple yet effective story of the bigger Ishikawa trying to bully and overpower the smaller yet resilient Takagi. Loved the long-term story of Takagi working over the arm and Ishikawa's frustration at his inability to put him away. The fighting spirit spots, kick-outs, and comebacks were executed to perfection and I really believed that Takagi was putting every ounce of energy he had (and then some) to hold on just a little bit longer and land a few more shots on Ishikawa.

Legitimate MOTYC. ****3/4.

Agreed! This was the finals to me in terms of delivering a Champion Carnival classic. Shingo was the star of the Carnival to me.

• GSR changed the title to [2018-04-29-AJPW-Champion Carnival] Shingo Takagi vs Shuji Ishikawa