WWF on Tour May 1986

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 SirEdger

SirEdger

Eternal nostalgic...especially about wrestling

• Members
  • 2746 posts
  • Interests:Pro wrestling, fantasy booking, hockey, football, history, UFC, baseball, video games, reading.

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:31 PM

Fantastic title match between Ric Flair & Tito Santana. HUGE way to have Flair make his first title defense on national TV.

Must admit I was a bit surprised to see Bull Gantner win that battle royal as I was expecting someone like One Man Gang or even Curt Hennig to win it and get the bye. But that's on par with how you've been pushing him so far and you're doing a great job at that!

#22 kevinmcfl

kevinmcfl
  • Members
  • 2086 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 06:52 PM

WWF is at a crossroads!  Hogan without a belt in the WWF makes him seem "naked" as you said but Flair gives you so many more options.  I am interested to see if Hogan stays in the WWF for the long haul?  

I also like the Bull Ganter is getting a nice run here.  It is fun to push some people who deserved it in real life but never got it.

#23 LowBlowPodcast

LowBlowPodcast
  • Members
  • 3184 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 09:09 PM

wwf-prime-time-wrestling.jpg

WWF Presents: Prime Time Wrestling

Hosted by Gorilla Monsoon & Jesse the Body Ventura

Matches from: Denver, CO - McNichols Arena

Prime Time opens this week with footage from SNME and all the happenings. We see the big TV Title Battle Royal and Bull Ganter being victorious. We also hear about the tag title competition and just who will be the number one contenders. Finally we hear from Ric Flair on his calling out of Hulk Hogan and how he will never get another shot at the WWF Title. Gorilla and Jesse put over the night before they are joined by Jack Tunney!

Jack Tunney: It is with extreme pleasure that I am here to announce the brackets for the upcoming Television Title tournament. This tournament will take place over the next several weeks with matches on Prime Time, Challenge, Superstars, and All-American. The finals will be on June the 28th at Saturday Night’s Main Event. Now in recognition of his winning the battle royal this weekend… Bull Ganter has received a first round bye. Here is the rest of the bracket in order...

Bull Ganter gets a bye

One Man Gang vs Sika

Bad News Brown vs Sting

The Tonga Kid vs Greg Valentine

Tully Blanchard vs Dino Bravo

Arn Anderson vs Wahoo McDaniel

Honky Tonk Man vs Curt Hennig

Billy Jack Haynes vs Don Muraco

Jack Tunney: Each of these matches will have a 15-minute time limit which is the alloted time for the television title. All matches except the finals will adhere to that rule as the finals must have a winner with no time limit in that contest! Thank you…

-Jesse and Gorilla put over the first round matches including the man coming out right now… Curt Hennig!

Curt Hennig vs Conquistador II

-A great showcase match for Hennig who looks to be at the top of his game. He handles Conquistador II with no problem and finishes him off with a slick piledriver. He works the crowd as we head to the booth...

-Don Muraco and Mr. Fuji join Gorilla and Jesse at the booth and put over the TV Title Tournament. Muraco says he is going to push Hennig to the limit in the opening round and make him whine before putting him down and moving on. Fuji says that soon it will be either Don Muraco or Sika who will be champion!

*COMMERCIAL*

Prime Time is back with Gorilla and Jesse continuing to put over the tv title tournament. They say that on Challenge this week it will be...Tonga Kid vs Greg Valentine, on Superstars it will be… Sting vs Bad News Brown, and next week here on Prime Time it will be Tully Blanchard vs Dino Bravo and Sika vs One Man Gang. They put over the match with Gang and Sika and how that could go to anyone and spread throughout the arena. They put over the Gang and Slick as we cut to a tag match with the Russians...

Steve Lombardi & SD Jones vs The Russians w/ Slick

-Nikolai and Boris look pretty good tonight as they are really melding well together as a team. They are very fierce in their movements and look to hurt these two with every move. They have a pretty good finish when Boris holds up Lombardi and Nikolai runs and much like the Hart Attack but from behind Clotheslines Lombardi on the back of the head before Boris gives him a spinebuster for the three count! These guys are BAD NEWS right now and look tough here.

We cut to Gorilla and Jesse who put over the tag team title issue and how the Bulldogs vs Demolition was supposed to name the number one contender… problem being that both teams were counted out. The Harts come out and say they will face and and all comers. They name drop the Dogs and Demo… Power and Glory and the Rockers… and the Horsemen. Bret says that they are more than capable of beating any team any time any where! This draws out Slick with the Russians and the Gang. Slick wants to know if his men can get a shot at the titles to which the Harts chuckle and say they haven’t earned it but it would be nice to set them in their place. Slick wonders how you earn something… by beating other people… or by beating up the champs!?! Then we see the Russians and Gang attack the Harts. This is pure chaos as it is 3 on 2 and the champs are down. Gang has mauled the Anvil into the table while Boris holds up Bret Hart and here comes Nikolai with that Clothesline to the back of the head and the Boris with a SPINEBUSTER on the CEMENT FLOOR! OMG! Bret Hart is down and out right now as the Anvil comes to cover him up. The Russians have made a statement here and Bret Hart felt the full effect of it. Slick leads his men back as we see medics come out for the Hitman.

*COMMERCIAL*

Prime Time is back with Jesse putting over what happened to Bret Hart. We see Gorilla over there checking on him with the doctors. Jesse says that perhaps the Harts bit off more than they could chew. He then kicks it to a special video…

“What is really America’s pastime… is it Baseball or is it Wrestling? Find out when you get to experience BOTH on Friday July 4th 1986 for a huge double header! The Showdown at Shea II will come to you from Shea Stadium in Queens, New York for a special Baseball and Wrestling showdown. Come early for the Mets hosting the Astros and stay later for the real fireworks on the 4th of July as the WWF headlines a special card headlined by Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan, Barry Windham, Randy Savage, Andre the Giant, and more! Individuals can purchase tickets to each event separately or they can buy the combo ticket for admission to both events! Call the Shea Stadium box office on June 1st for tickets when they go on sale!”

-Jesse is back putting over how Bret Hart is going to be going to the hospital and then he talks about how Randy Savage has issued an open challenge next week to any member of the Horsemen. He will be here to fulfill that… the Horsemen respond when we come back!

*COMMERCIAL*

Prime Time is back with Gorilla and Jesse putting over Bret Hart being hurt. They don’t know the extent of the injuries but will keep us up to date. We then see the Horsemen make their way to the ring for this huge six-man tag...

SIX-MAN TAG

Sting & The Rockers vs Barry Windham, Arn Anderson, & Tully Blanchard w/ Sherri & Angel

-Talk about Main Event… this is a great one here for the crowd in Denver. We get 13-action filled minutes with little to no break. The babyfaces are able to get some shine and it is really Marty Jannetty who stands out but the Horsemen break him down and the others. We see Ric Flair come out with Bobby Heenan midway through as they join Gorilla and Jesse to put over the match.The finish is hot when Shawn Michaels gets the hot tag and comes in like a house of fire. Sting comes out of nowhere and clotheslines Tully Blanchard over the top rope to the floor. We see Barry Windham kick Marty Jannetty’s head off and he goes flying before Shawn Michaels nails a big spinning back elbow. Windham is down as Michaels goes up top but Anderson out of nowhere nails the ropes and Michaels crotches himself hard. Windham staggers over… goes up top… SUPERPLEX for the 3-count and this one is over. The Horsemen come over to the booth… winded after a huge victory…

Bobby Heenan: Well I guess the cat is out of the bag… the powers that be have done everything they can to hold back the Horsemen in the TV tournament by putting us in the same side of the bracket with one another… but know this… no matter if we’re against or with one another… we’re always the best. The best prove it night in and night out and trust when I say that it will be a Horsemen who prevails in this tournament… now on to other matters… Tito Santana… gallant effort Saturday night… but now you step to the back of the line. Don’t think for a moment it was a fluke or flash finish that Ric Flair put you down and if you even try to come close to him… we’ll do it twice as bad next time. Randy Savage… you put it out there that you want a member of the Horsemen here next week… well pal you got it…. Right here (pats Double A on the chest) you get the enforcer and Savage… he is going to destroy whatever little piece of dignity and pride you have left in your body!

Barry Windham: I love that we get o split Randy Savage up amongst us fellas because believe me when I say that he is nothing more than skin and bones and perhaps a little bit of heart… but Savage that little bit of heart you have left is going to be destroyed when all is said and done. You see Randy Savage… I took this Intercontinental Championship from you… I took your King of the Ring crown from you… and honestly there isn’t much left to take… its like an old dog… when he becomes too old… you put the kids in the other room and you take the dog out back. Well Savage… July 4th… Showdown at Shea II… it is on for me and you to step into that ring. There will be no excuses and when I beat you again… you will have nothing left to do but go away forever!

Tully Blanchard: You have got to respect and admire a man for continuing to try right… well you also have to know the difference between smart and stupid and Randy Savage is walking a fine line right now.  Much akin to a guy like Dino Bravo who comes out here and says he can bench press 500 pounds… well you may be able to hurt the weights but the weights don’t hit back Bravo. Next week here on Prime Time you are going to be in there with me and pal… I do hit back. I am going to step into that ring on my way to the television championship and I am going to put you right back in your place… below the Horsemen… just like all the others.

Arn Anderson: There comes a time in a man’s life when he has to look up and down the pecking order… well right now Wahoo McDaniel… you are at the top of a very distinguished list of men who are going to feel my wrath over the next week.  You are lined up with me in the television title tournament and I have said it before and I will say it again that there is no equal to me in fifteen minutes on television and you are going to find that out. Next on the list comes Randy Savage. Next week you want to put out a challenge…. Well when you challenge the Horsemen… I am the first one to step in line and don’t you think for a minute that I won’t be coming at you with everything I’ve got. You have had a great career Randy Savage… but you are on your way down from the mountain…. It can be clean and easy… or it can be rough and  rugged… that is your choice… but don’t think the Horsemen won’t help you choose.

Ric Flair: WOOOO! All is right in the world…. All is right when the Horsemen have the gold… the Horsemen have the women… and the Horsemen have the power! Tito Santana… you put up a great fight the other night but know this… when it comes to bright lights… NBC… the World Title… Ric Flair is number one pal and don’t you forget it! Randy Savage… you are poking your head around where it doesn’t belong pal… you are sticking your nose into the business of the Horsemen just a little bit too much and I think you need to be humbled to what is going on here. You see we are the ones who rule professional wrestling… ask Billy Jack Haynes… huh… ask Wahoo… ask Tito… hell as Hulk Hogan! Don’t think I forgot about you Hogan. I have heard a lot of talk about “how will Hogan get his shot?” “ How will Hulk get to Flair?” The answer is NO! NEVER! NOT A WAY! NO WAY! NO HOW! Hogan… your time as champion is DONE! It is over! You will NEVER touch this title again and Hogan…  you will never get your hands on me either!

Gorilla: Well Ric Flair… I have it on good authority that Hulk Hogan will be here in two weeks after his tour of Japan… will you be here and go face to face with him?

Ric Flair: Hulk Hogan… face to face.... Here with me? Gorilla Monsoon… Hulk Hogan like every other mongoloid in the WWF looks up to Ric Flair when I am the world champion. Hogan… you want to come out here in two weeks and prove to all of these people you have the guts to face the Horsemen… I’ll be here. You want to show up in two weeks and prove to all the Hulkamaniacs that you have something left in your body and in your heart… I’ll be here. Hulk Hogan if you want to walk out here and embarrass yourself in front of people all over this country… Hulk Hogan I will be here… BECAUSE I AM THE CHAMP! I AM THEEE MAN! WOOOOOOOOO!

The Horsemen and company work the crowd as we sign off. Big TV title tournament action this weekend… plus next week we see Sika vs One Man Gang and Tully vs Bravo plus Arn Anderson vs Randy Savage… blow the roof off the joint and get ready because Hulk Hogan will be here in two weeks to go face to face with Flair… GET PUMPED!

#24 spaldoni

spaldoni
  • Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:12 PM

Man so much going on in the WWF! I cant tell you how much I love seeing the Horsemen in this environment. Just in the few weeks they've been here, they're already running things. I really do think our trade worked out well for both of us. The fresh scene in the WWF opens up so many doors for them. The Russians show their brute force by putting Bret on the shelve. I always thought this is how they should of been booked IRL. I have no doubt the TV tournament will live up to all the hype. I was picking Hennig but after hearing some promos, I'm not so sure. Showdown at Shea 2, what a fantastic idea! Cant wait for the faceoff between Flair and Hogan.

#25 SirEdger

SirEdger

• Members
  • 2746 posts
  • Interests:Pro wrestling, fantasy booking, hockey, football, history, UFC, baseball, video games, reading.

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:12 AM

I'm so looking forward to Anderson vs Savage next week and the beginning of the TV title tournament. Those brackets are unpredictable!

#26 gordi

gordi

monster gaijin

• Members
  • 1985 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 05:46 AM

I am excited about Sting vs Bad News. That is an intriguing match-up!

What a chaotic scene with Slickster's men putting Bret down hard. I like the touch of having Anvil cover him up to protect him.

Really looking forward to Showdown at Shea II. Gonna see some fireworks on the 4th of July!

Horsemen in WWF is a resounding success so far.

#27 dawho5

dawho5
  • Members
  • 3936 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:03 PM

SNME never disappoints.  From the intro promos to the big matches and the storyline progression it's absolutely great.  If the WWF had handled Flair even close to this in 92 I don't think there is ever a chance that the NWO forms because WCW is done for.

Hart getting destroyed by Slick's men can only mean the Russians are the next up for the title.  The Horsemen taking on all comers in the WWF is something else.  Savage should thrive against a group of guys who can work like the Horsemen do.

Phenomenal interviews all around too, keep up the great work.

#28 LowBlowPodcast

LowBlowPodcast
  • Members
  • 3184 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:25 AM

wcd0.jpg

WWF Presents: Wrestling Challenge

Hosted By: Gorilla Monsoon & Bobby the Brain Heenan

Featuring: Demolition, Honky Tonk Man, & Dino Bravo

TELEVISION TOURNAMENT

The Tonga Kid vs Greg Valentine w/ Jimmy Hart

-Greg Valentine is Primed right now for a big run as he puts Tonga through the ringer. Tonga fights back with some fervor but just can’t break through that glass ceiling here in singles competition. The finish sees him go for a flying cross body but Valentine rolls through and locks him up with a handful of tights for the three count! Valentine moves on...

superstarslogo.png

WWF Presents: Superstars of Wrestling
Hosted By: Vince McMahon & Jesse ‘ The Body’ Ventura

Featuring: The Bulldogs, Hercules & Roma, and Don Muraco

TELEVISION TOURNAMENT

Bad News Brown vs Sting

-A really fun contest with Sting building some serious momentum here in the WWF. He brings some fierce power and speed with his strikes. The crowd gets behind him but Bad News slows him down. Sting is pretty gassed at the 11-minute mark before Bad News looks to finish. Bad News with a nasty kick to the head and then he picks up Sting to do a judo throw but Sting ducks his head through and comes back with a German Suplex with a bridge as both men’s shoulders are down for the 11….22….3! Lots of controversy here as Jesse says it was Bad News who got his shoulder up but McMahon says it was Sting…. The referee grabs both hands and then raises Sting’s arm in the AIR! Bad News is going nuts as he can’t believe it! Lots of controversy here and this one is far from over!

wwf-prime-time-wrestling.jpg

WWF Presents: Prime Time Wrestling 5/19

Hosted by Gorilla Monsoon & Jesse the Body Ventura

Matches from: Poughkeepsie, NY – Mid- Hudson Civic Center

Prime Time opens with Gorilla and Jesse putting over the opening round matches in the TV title tournament. We find out that Greg Valentine has moved on and so has Sting. They will face one another in the quarter finals. We have two matches here this evening along with more this weekend. We are going to kick things off in a big way right here right now!

TELEVISION TOURNAMENT

Tully Blanchard w/ Sherri vs Dino Bravo

-What a way to kick things off for Prime Time this week. Early on we see Bravo throwing Blanchard around like a rag doll. We see the Power of Dino on display and my oh my does he look good in that ring thanks to Tully. Gorilla and Jesse put it over in a big way before Tully is able to get control after a Bravo misstep. Tully works over the arm but Bravo continues to fight back with the other. We get to the 13-minute mark as time is running out and Dino is almost out of energy. We see Blanchard and Sherri messing with the turnbuckle and the pad comes off as Bravo runs at Blanchard but Tully ducks and Bravo goes crashing into the exposed steel! Tully covers with a handful of tights for the 1...2…..3!!

*COMMERCIAL*

Prime Time is back putting over the TV title tournament. They put over how Tully will face Anderson or Wahoo… they will do battle next week right here on Prime Time. The winner of our next match will take on Bull Ganter… this could be one of the biggest matches in the history of Prime Time… let’s head to the ring.

TELEVISION TOURNAMENT

One Man Gang w/ Slick vs Sika w/ Fuji

-Two of the biggest and the baddest right here in the WWF right now and they come out ready to brawl all over. The fans aren’t quite sure what to make of this one and it doesn’t last too long. We see the brawl spill outside the ring before Sika grabs the One Man Gangs chain and uses it on him! The referee calls for the bell with Gang getting the victory via DQ! He will move on to face Ganter but here this fight isn’t over. Gang grabs a wooden chair and breaks it over the head of Sika! Officials and agents try to get out there and break things up but nothing doing… this is pure chaos!

*COMMERCIAL*

Prime Time returns for the final segment and they are pumping up the big show next week. We will see Hogan and Flair face to face while we have two television title tournament matches and the Rockers taking on Roma and Hercules! What a loaded show next week… now it is time for Savage vs Anderson!

Randy Savage w/ Elizabeth vs Arn Anderson w/ Bobby Heenan

-On free tv…. Are you kidding me!?!  Here we go with a huge main event and these guys go a good 13-minutes of HOT action with Savage turning it up a notch. Anderson is pretty good in his singles role but shines brighter as a tag team. We see Double A catch Savage with a reverse Hot Shot and he stacks Savage’s throat on the ropes. Double A goes into a series and really works over Savage and wears him down to the point you just don’t think he can come back… then he does. Savage comes back with a hope segment that would rival Hulk Hogan and he fires back with some huge right hands and then he goes up top and comes flying off with the big double axe handle! Wait a second… here comes Tully and Savage nails him but it is Windham who runs in from behind! Windham runs in and tackles Savage to the ground and starts pounding away on him as the referee calls for the bell. It is a 2 on 1 beatdown and the crowd is irate. They are tearing into him but then the crowd pops when Tto Santana and Wahoo McDaniel run out and back off the Horsemen! Savage is laid out in the middle of the ring as the crowd is going wild. Gorilla and Jesse put over Hogan and Flair next week along with the Rockers taking on Hercules and Roma! We’ll see it right here next week!

944368.jpg

WWF Live 5/19
New York City, NY – Madison Square Garden
Hosted by Gene Okerlund & Lord Alfred Hayes

The show had an 8pm star time with the wrestlers making their way from television tapings.

MAIN EVENT

WWF CHAMPIONSHIP

Ric Flair © defeated Tito Santana @ 48 minutes

Hulk Hogan defeated Sika w/ Mr. Fuji

INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP

Barry Windham © defeated Randy Savage via DQ

Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard defeated Wahoo McDaniel & Billy Jack Haynes

TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP

The Hart Foundation © defeated Paul Roma & Hercules

#29 gordi

gordi

monster gaijin

• Members
  • 1985 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:49 AM

I like the finish for Bad News Brown vs Sting. Somebody had to move on in the tournament, but you don't want to make either guy look weak. 

Pretty darn good job finding that balance point in all the tournament matches, really.

#30 dawho5

dawho5
  • Members
  • 3936 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:36 AM

Great stuff in the tournament so far.  I will echo the Brown/Sting as the best finish.  I also really liked Gang vs. Sika.  Savage vs. Arn would have torn the house down and the overbooked ending completely makes sense.

#31 rainmakerrtv

rainmakerrtv
  • Members
  • 1746 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:47 AM

Getting caught back up, loved the May 12 Prime Time 6 man, classic Horsemen match and promo.

#32 SirEdger

SirEdger

• Members
  • 2746 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:46 PM

I'll echo the general sentiment about the Bad News/Sting finish. That also sets up a continuation for a possible showdown between both men in the future. That main event in NYC though between Flair vs Tito! CLASSIC.

#33 spaldoni

spaldoni
  • Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:27 PM

Really liked the tournament matches. Valentine looked good. Sting and Bad News was my favorite with a good ending. Sika and OMG was out of control fun. The Tully/Bravo match was so realistic. Savage and Arn tore the house down. What a TV main event. I think Savage is going to need some help in his fight with the Horsemen. Wahoo and Tito look to be up for it. All they need is one more to even the odds. That Flair/Tito MSG match was a classic.

#34 kevinmcfl

kevinmcfl
  • Members
  • 2086 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:05 PM

Very interesting card at MSG.  I know that I have been critical of Hogan here but it is just my personal feelings.  I wonder how Windham and Savage would have felt about playing third fiddle behind Hogan and Sika with no belt.

#35 SirEdger

SirEdger

• Members
  • 2746 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:08 PM

That's interesting you mention that because personally, I think it depends on how you view your cards when you book them. I've always been a big proponent of having a strong match to kick off a card, a strong match in the middle and your main event being your top match on the card. If I look at LowBlow's card at MSG, that's pretty much the formula he used with the Hart Foundation vs Power & Glory to start, the IC title match being in the "middle" and the WWF title match to close the show. I don't always follow that formula but I'm a firm believer it's the most efficient house show formula to keep people interested.

#36 kevinmcfl

kevinmcfl
  • Members
  • 2086 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:30 PM

Makes perfect sense.  I know very little about that and I have read other people calling the second to last match as the Semi Main Event so that is how I looked at it.  I guess it is all up to the booker.  Just my childhood biases coming out

#37 SirEdger

SirEdger

• Members
  • 2746 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:05 PM

Nothing wrong with that. Truthfully, there are different formulas that work. It just has to suit your vision better.

#38 Captain Redneck

Captain Redneck
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 08:41 PM

Always thought that Tito should've been a top contender instead of making him a tag wrestler. Maybe he can win the IC title in the future.

#39 GeneJackson95

GeneJackson95

King of All Wrestling Media

• Members
  • 938 posts
  • Interests:Pro Wrestling (obviously), Comedy, and that's about it.

Posted 20 May 2018 - 07:31 AM

Can't wait for the Harts vs. Arn/Tully! Savage vs. Windham as a feud in '86 is a dream come true!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users