Pro Wrestling Only

WWF on Tour May 1986

LowBlowPodcast

I am excited about Sting vs Bad News. That is an intriguing match-up!

What a chaotic scene with Slickster's men putting Bret down hard. I like the touch of having Anvil cover him up to protect him.

Really looking forward to Showdown at Shea II. Gonna see some fireworks on the 4th of July!

Horsemen in WWF is a resounding success so far.

SNME never disappoints. From the intro promos to the big matches and the storyline progression it's absolutely great. If the WWF had handled Flair even close to this in 92 I don't think there is ever a chance that the NWO forms because WCW is done for.

Hart getting destroyed by Slick's men can only mean the Russians are the next up for the title. The Horsemen taking on all comers in the WWF is something else. Savage should thrive against a group of guys who can work like the Horsemen do.

Phenomenal interviews all around too, keep up the great work.

wcd0.jpg

WWF Presents: Wrestling Challenge

Hosted By: Gorilla Monsoon & Bobby the Brain Heenan
Matches from: Denver, CO - McNichols Arena

Featuring: Demolition, Honky Tonk Man, & Dino Bravo

TELEVISION TOURNAMENT

The Tonga Kid vs Greg Valentine w/ Jimmy Hart

-Greg Valentine is Primed right now for a big run as he puts Tonga through the ringer. Tonga fights back with some fervor but just can’t break through that glass ceiling here in singles competition. The finish sees him go for a flying cross body but Valentine rolls through and locks him up with a handful of tights for the three count! Valentine moves on...

superstarslogo.png

WWF Presents: Superstars of Wrestling
Hosted By: Vince McMahon & Jesse ‘ The Body’ Ventura
Matches from: Denver, CO - McNichols Arena

Featuring: The Bulldogs, Hercules & Roma, and Don Muraco

TELEVISION TOURNAMENT

Bad News Brown vs Sting

-A really fun contest with Sting building some serious momentum here in the WWF. He brings some fierce power and speed with his strikes. The crowd gets behind him but Bad News slows him down. Sting is pretty gassed at the 11-minute mark before Bad News looks to finish. Bad News with a nasty kick to the head and then he picks up Sting to do a judo throw but Sting ducks his head through and comes back with a German Suplex with a bridge as both men’s shoulders are down for the 11….22….3! Lots of controversy here as Jesse says it was Bad News who got his shoulder up but McMahon says it was Sting…. The referee grabs both hands and then raises Sting’s arm in the AIR! Bad News is going nuts as he can’t believe it! Lots of controversy here and this one is far from over!

wwf-prime-time-wrestling.jpg
WWF Presents: Prime Time Wrestling 5/19

Hosted by Gorilla Monsoon & Jesse the Body Ventura

Matches from: Poughkeepsie, NY – Mid- Hudson Civic Center

Prime Time opens with Gorilla and Jesse putting over the opening round matches in the TV title tournament. We find out that Greg Valentine has moved on and so has Sting. They will face one another in the quarter finals. We have two matches here this evening along with more this weekend. We are going to kick things off in a big way right here right now!

TELEVISION TOURNAMENT

Tully Blanchard w/ Sherri vs Dino Bravo

-What a way to kick things off for Prime Time this week. Early on we see Bravo throwing Blanchard around like a rag doll. We see the Power of Dino on display and my oh my does he look good in that ring thanks to Tully. Gorilla and Jesse put it over in a big way before Tully is able to get control after a Bravo misstep. Tully works over the arm but Bravo continues to fight back with the other. We get to the 13-minute mark as time is running out and Dino is almost out of energy. We see Blanchard and Sherri messing with the turnbuckle and the pad comes off as Bravo runs at Blanchard but Tully ducks and Bravo goes crashing into the exposed steel! Tully covers with a handful of tights for the 1...2…..3!!

*COMMERCIAL*

Prime Time is back putting over the TV title tournament. They put over how Tully will face Anderson or Wahoo… they will do battle next week right here on Prime Time. The winner of our next match will take on Bull Ganter… this could be one of the biggest matches in the history of Prime Time… let’s head to the ring.

TELEVISION TOURNAMENT

One Man Gang w/ Slick vs Sika w/ Fuji

-Two of the biggest and the baddest right here in the WWF right now and they come out ready to brawl all over. The fans aren’t quite sure what to make of this one and it doesn’t last too long. We see the brawl spill outside the ring before Sika grabs the One Man Gangs chain and uses it on him! The referee calls for the bell with Gang getting the victory via DQ! He will move on to face Ganter but here this fight isn’t over. Gang grabs a wooden chair and breaks it over the head of Sika! Officials and agents try to get out there and break things up but nothing doing… this is pure chaos!

*COMMERCIAL*

Prime Time returns for the final segment and they are pumping up the big show next week. We will see Hogan and Flair face to face while we have two television title tournament matches and the Rockers taking on Roma and Hercules! What a loaded show next week… now it is time for Savage vs Anderson!

Randy Savage w/ Elizabeth vs Arn Anderson w/ Bobby Heenan

-On free tv…. Are you kidding me!?! Here we go with a huge main event and these guys go a good 13-minutes of HOT action with Savage turning it up a notch. Anderson is pretty good in his singles role but shines brighter as a tag team. We see Double A catch Savage with a reverse Hot Shot and he stacks Savage’s throat on the ropes. Double A goes into a series and really works over Savage and wears him down to the point you just don’t think he can come back… then he does. Savage comes back with a hope segment that would rival Hulk Hogan and he fires back with some huge right hands and then he goes up top and comes flying off with the big double axe handle! Wait a second… here comes Tully and Savage nails him but it is Windham who runs in from behind! Windham runs in and tackles Savage to the ground and starts pounding away on him as the referee calls for the bell. It is a 2 on 1 beatdown and the crowd is irate. They are tearing into him but then the crowd pops when Tto Santana and Wahoo McDaniel run out and back off the Horsemen! Savage is laid out in the middle of the ring as the crowd is going wild. Gorilla and Jesse put over Hogan and Flair next week along with the Rockers taking on Hercules and Roma! We’ll see it right here next week!

944368.jpg

WWF Live 5/19
New York City, NY – Madison Square Garden
Hosted by Gene Okerlund & Lord Alfred Hayes

The show had an 8pm star time with the wrestlers making their way from television tapings.

MAIN EVENT

WWF CHAMPIONSHIP

Ric Flair © defeated Tito Santana @ 48 minutes

Hulk Hogan defeated Sika w/ Mr. Fuji

INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP

Barry Windham © defeated Randy Savage via DQ

Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard defeated Wahoo McDaniel & Billy Jack Haynes

TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP

The Hart Foundation © defeated Paul Roma & Hercules

I like the finish for Bad News Brown vs Sting. Somebody had to move on in the tournament, but you don't want to make either guy look weak.

Pretty darn good job finding that balance point in all the tournament matches, really.

Really liked the tournament matches. Valentine looked good. Sting and Bad News was my favorite with a good ending. Sika and OMG was out of control fun. The Tully/Bravo match was so realistic. Savage and Arn tore the house down. What a TV main event. I think Savage is going to need some help in his fight with the Horsemen. Wahoo and Tito look to be up for it. All they need is one more to even the odds. That Flair/Tito MSG match was a classic.

That's interesting you mention that because personally, I think it depends on how you view your cards when you book them. I've always been a big proponent of having a strong match to kick off a card, a strong match in the middle and your main event being your top match on the card. If I look at LowBlow's card at MSG, that's pretty much the formula he used with the Hart Foundation vs Power & Glory to start, the IC title match being in the "middle" and the WWF title match to close the show. I don't always follow that formula but I'm a firm believer it's the most efficient house show formula to keep people interested.

wcd0.jpg

WWF Presents: Wrestling Challenge 5/24

Hosted By: Gorilla Monsoon & Bobby the Brain Heenan

Featuring: The Rockers, Bad News Brown, Dino Bravo, & Demolition

WWF Live 5/24
Long Island, NY - Nassau Coliseum

MAIN EVENT

WWF CHAMPIONSHIP

Ric Flair © defeated Tito Santana @ 55 minutes

SIX-MAN TAG

Barry Windham, Arn Anderson, & Tully Blanchard defeated Randy Savage, Wahoo, & Billy Jack

TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP

The Hart Foundation © defeated the Russians via DQ

Sting & The Bulldogs defeated Don Muraco & Demolition

superstarslogo.png

WWF Presents: Superstars of Wrestling
Hosted By: Vince McMahon & Jesse ‘ The Body’ Ventura

Featuring: Greg Valentine, One Man Gang, Tully Blanchard, & Sting

TELEVISION TOURNAMENT

Billy Jack Haynes vs Don Muraco w/ Mr. Fuji

-This one has a little juice to it from a couple of issues these two have had with one another. These guys go about 9-minutes and Muraco is just starting to get over but Billy Jack is getting some major love from the crowd. We see an interesting finish when Billy Jack locks in the Full Nelson but Muraco kicks the referee by accident and puts him down. Fuji grabs the cane and throws it in the ring before hitting Billy on the back with his arm. He breaks free and then Muraco grabs the can Billy turns around… and BOOM! Billy Jack is laid out with the cane and Muraco covers as the referee stumbles over for the 1…..2…..3! Muraco moves on!

WWF Live 5/25
New Jersey, NJ - The Meadowlands

MAIN EVENT

WWF CHAMPIONSHIP

Ric Flair © defeated Tito Santana @ 55 minutes

SIX-MAN TAG

Barry Windham, Arn Anderson, & Tully Blanchard defeated Randy Savage, Wahoo, & Billy Jack
TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP

The Hart Foundation © defeated the Russians via DQ

Sting & The Bulldogs defeated Don Muraco & Demolition

wwf-prime-time-wrestling.jpg

WWF Presents: Prime Time Wrestling 5/26

Hosted by Gorilla Monsoon & Jesse the Body Ventura

Matches from: Allentown, PA – Agricultural Hall

Prime Time opens this week with footage from Don Muraco winning his first round match against Billy Jack Haynes. We will see him take on the winner of our next contest. We will also see a big match with Wahoo McDaniel taking on Arn Anderson this evening. Also on tap we’ll see the Rockers taking on Hercules and Paul Roma along with the face to face confrontation of Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan all right here tonight.

TELEVISION TOURNAMENT

Honky Tonk Man vs Curt Hennig

-A really good opening contest with these two going 14 of the 15 minutes! It is an all out brawl with these two and Honky puts on his working boots but you can tell he’s hurting. Hennig just keeps getting better and we see Muraco try to finish with the Shake, Rattle, & Roll but Hennig rolls him through and then pushes him to the turnbuckle and Honky turns around and Hennig grabs him for a FISHERMAN’S SUPLEX FOR THE 1…..2…...3!! Hennig wins it and moves on! He will face Don Muraco in the quarterfinals!

*COMMERCIAL*

Prime Time is back with Gorilla and Jesse putting over the issue with the Russians and the Hart Foundation. We find out that Bret Hart will be back and the champions will be in action next week here on Prime Time and we expect to see the Russians not too far behind!

The Rockers vs Hercules & Paul Roma w/ Jimmy Hart

-This one has been building up for a while and these two teams bring it out here tonight and Jimmy Hart seems to be happy… but then… we see Paul Roma tear his knee all the hell! You can see the injury and he is in a bad way. The Rockers and Hercules try to make the best out of what is going on but it just isn’t working. We see a very bad finish with Roma outside of the ring and Hercules getting double drop kicked and double pinned. The Rockers are visibly upset as they go out of the ring. More to come on this injury to Paul Roma.

*COMMERCIAL*

Prime Time is back as we look at the TV tournament bracket. Bull Ganter vs One Man Gang, Sting vs Greg Valentine, Curt Hennig vs Don Muraco, and then Tully Blanchard will face the winner of our next contest… let’s go to the ring!

TELEVISION TOURNAMENT

Arn Anderson w/ Angel vs Wahoo McDaniel

-A huge television contest here with both men putting forth a great effort for the crowd. We see then go around 12-minutes and don’t think for a second that Wahoo can’t go. He hammers away at Anderson and Angel is out there screaming as every chop happens! Anderson is beat red but he finds a way to fight back with rights and lefts but Wahoo is coming down with some serious power and now Anderson is reeling. Wahoo hits the ropes and comes with a huge chop and Anderson goes crashing through the ropes to the floor! The fans are stirring as the referee counts but Angel gets up on the apron to distract him while Anderson is able to pull Wahoo out of the ring! Angel gets down as the referee continues to count and we see Anderson and Wahoo doing battle outside. The referee continues to count and here comes Wahoo with another big chop and Anderson goes down. The referee is at 7….8…. Wahoo looks to get back in the ring but Anderson is holding his leg 9…...10!!! Wahoo kicks him off and rolls in and raises his arm… but the referee pulls it down… this is being ruled as a Double Count Out! Neither man moves on! Tully Blanchard will receive a bye! Flair and Hogan when we come back!

*COMMERCIAL*

Prime Time is back and we see a little video of Ric Flair and the Horsemen’s arrival in the WWF along with the celebration of Flair winning the World Title. Still no footage of the actual match with Hogan We then cut to the ring where we see Mean Gene…

Mean Gene: Ladies and gentlemen… this is one we have been waiting for… I want to welcome out here right now… the WWF Heavyweight Champion… the Nature Boy… Ric Flair!

The problem is that Flair isn’t alone… no… not at all as a matter of face. He is flanked by Angel and Sherri and then Heenan behind him with Windham, Anderson, and Blanchard following…. But who is following them… that is JACK TUNNEY! Jack Tunney walks behind them and gets in the ring on the other side while Ric Flair just sticks his nose up to the crowd before Mean Gene hits that we want to welcome out Hulk Hogan and here he comes! The Hulkster is coming out to a HUGE ovation and he steps into the ring and looks Flair right in the eyes and Flair says nothing but just points at the belt!

ric-flair-hulk-hogan-ses-1-430x244.jpg

Mean Gene: Gentlemen… we are going to have a little decorum here tonight… this will not be a brawl… but I have to ask… President Jack Tunney… what do we owe this pleasure?

Jack Tunney: I am here on behalf of the WWF and the board of directors. I am here to simply address Hulk Hogan face to face about his recent allegations against my office and the WWF board of directors.

Mean Gene: Hulk what is going on here?

Hulk Hogan: Well lemme tell you something Mean Gene… I went back and I saw the tape brother… I saw the footage of what happened in Boston and I am going right here on record and saying that I smell a RAT dude! The fact that Jack Tunney and the WWF Board of Directors won’t give me a rematch is the biggest load of….

Jack Tunney: Now wait just a moment there Mr. Hogan… you are the one who signed the contract to face Ric Flair. You accepted the challenge before you and the stipulations that followed.

Bobby Heenan: That’s right Hogan… and now you can kiss any hope of getting this WWF title GOODBYE!

Hogan makes a motion at Heenan to a crowd pop but the Horsemen protect him…

Jack Tunney: What I am here to say Mr. Hogan is that a shot at the WWF title could be in line for you.. Once the contract is nullified. That being… if Ric Flair would sign this paper right now… you would be granted a shot at the WWF Championship at the earliest date available…

The crowd pops as Tunney gives Flair and Heenan the contract…. Hogan is looking out to the crowd and pumping them up…

Bobby Heenan: You know what Ric… I think we should sign it… I think all these humanoids want to see us sign this and want to see Hulk Hogan get beaten one more time in the middle of this ring!

Ric Flair: You know something Bobby… I have waited a long time to be right here… face to face with you Hogan. Now… I hold your whole life right here in the palm of my hands… and I want to see just how bad you want it. I want to see just how bad you think you deserve this title Hogan. I want to see you on your hands and knees begging me for a chance… because Hogan… I did it once… I could do it again… but there is no need to…

Hulk Hogan: Well lemme tell you something Ric Flair…. You and these goons around here may think you run roughshod over the WWF but know this pal… you could have Jack Tunney in your pocket for all I know but if you sign that contract it is going to be you on your hands and knees begging for the mercy of me and all my Hulkamaniacs!

Jack Tunney: I advise you Mr. Flair that you are in control of this situation… if you feel that Hulk Hogan deserves a shot at the World Heavyweight Championship… please sign…

Flair looks out to the crowd and then at Hogan… he grabs the paper and then rips it up right in the middle of the ring! Hogan is crazed as he goes after Flair but the Horsemen pounce! They jump all over the Hulkster and they are laying into him something awful. Gene and Tunney get out of the ring while the Horsemen tie up Hogan in the ropes! They are punching and kicking away as Flair undoes his suit and then the closing picture is Flair shoving the World Title into Hogan’s face. Gorilla and Jesse are going wild putting this over… my oh my!

As you pointed out in the Dirt Sheets, the influence and impact of the Horsemen on WWF is really becoming clear now.

For example, I don't know if we would have seen an intense 15-minute brawl between Honky and Perfect as the opening match during the Hulk Hogan era.

An injury! It feels like it's been a while since we had one of those.

Tully getting a bye adds some intrigue to the tourney. Was that Arn's intent?

Love that picture of Flair and Hulk!

...and that has to be the perfect way to build up anticipation for Flair vs Hogan into a frenzy. What a show!

The TV title tournament has been very intriguing. Hennig is looking good with a nice win over HTM. I liked the finish to the Muraco/Billy Jack match. How awesome was it to see Arn and Wahoo going at it in a WWF TV title tournament. Very interested in seeing where this Roma injury goes. The Harts and Russians looked like some fun matches on the loop. You cant go wrong with Flair and Santana going almost an hour. What a segment to end with as Flair rips up the contract and the Horsemen give Hogan a beating. Their eventual showdown will be a money making blockbuster and the fact that no footage has been seen of Flair's title win adds so much to this mystique.

Flair and the Horsemen taking Hogan apart is such a great direction for the WWF. So many times with Hogan challengers you could see through it that they were just the next guy in line. Something like this would have been seen as a real threat.