Pro Wrestling Only

Worst Turns in Wrestling History

JaymeFuture

I always thought Tatanka (yeah, old-school), once the turn was done (which was excellent in build in execution) went from hot babyface to just totally blah in a matter of weeks.

Because Ted DiBiase may be the worst manager ever, at least at a major league level. Everyone who was paired with him turned into heat-sinks. He makes Mr. Fuji and Harvey Wippleman look incredible.

Nobody has mentioned the whole Horsemen/Sting debacle from 1990. Sting joining the Horsemen in the first place was pretty bad due to the fit. And it made Sting look like an idiot for no good reason, something WCW seemed to like doing.

The Eugene heel turn was wretched. The gimmick as a whole was pretty tasteless, but trying to turn him into a bad guy made it even worse. Am I really supposed to boo a mentally handicapped man who wants people to stop laughing at him? The only way it could have possibly worked is if he had revealed he was faking it the whole time.

I always thought Tatanka (yeah, old-school), once the turn was done (which was excellent in build in execution) went from hot babyface to just totally blah in a matter of weeks.

Because Ted DiBiase may be the worst manager ever, at least at a major league level. Everyone who was paired with him turned into heat-sinks. He makes Mr. Fuji and Harvey Wippleman look incredible.

I'd disagree that he was the worst ever. However, the problem with Ted as manager is that all the heat was on him not his charges, and since he had an injured neck, he couldn't take bumps so there was seldom any real pay offs.

The WWF compounded that basic problem by throwing mid-cardy or also ran guys or has beens into the stable.

So what do you end up with?

1. Manager who puts heat on himself, can't take bumps.

2. Wrestlers who come across like minions rather than stars in their own right.

That was more of a structural issue than anything Ted himself did. It's not like he stopped being a good promo or good at playing the character. Jackets through that period were AWFUL though.

And finally edge from 2010, He got a huge pop at the rumble but then his build to mania to face jericho was just the repetition of the word "spear" ad nauseam, he was always a pretty poor babyface but this was awful.

Really glad you mentioned that one. There are times I like Edge quite a bit but that turn was seriously, deeply painful on every level.

The worst part about that run to me, was I actually liked the blowoff where Edge got his big babyface triumph over Jericho in the steel cage.....then turns heel the very next night on Raw. Completely randomly. Less than 6 months later, he was babyface again.

A.J's heel turn in 2010 that led him to becoming the new "Nature Boy". Just a really bad fit for him. I've actually hated all of A.J's heel runs with the exception of Bullet Club and his turn in WWE. Seemed like he had a much better idea of who he wanted to be and how to convey that on the mic.

I really liked young punk Styles from 02-03 in TNA.

• 2 weeks later...
Just wanted to thank everybody for the contributions - the show looking at the Worst Turns in Wrestling History is now available at the following link:

Join us as we discuss nominations from you, the loyal listeners, we discuss everything from the obvious and glaring candidates, such as Steve Austin at WrestleMania X7, Rikishi doing it for The Rock, Goldberg at GAB 2000 and the disastrous Hogan/Flair double-turn of 1999, to the personal and obscure choice that have plagued your wrestling fandom, including Tatanka joining the Million Dollar Corporation, Dusty Rhodes joining the nWo, Eugene's two week stint as the hateable special needs grappler, Heel Godfather from 2002, Ahmed Johnson joining the Nation before being booted out weeks later, Brother Bruti becoming The Butcher, "Nature Boy" AJ Styles, Michael Cole and so many more. A fun show as always, let us know what you think!

Finally got around to listening to the pod. Another enjoyable show.

Has the "heel is betrayed and kicked out of his heel faction" angle ever successfully worked to spawn a new baby face? It failed with Orton in 2004. It failed with Rollins recently. And both scenarios were covered in this topic, and it sparked my curiosity.

The major issues of this situation were addressed. The premise itself is problematic, because it almost always feels like the intended new baby face was discarded by the heel group, rather than having a change of heart or a genuine heroic moment to ignite the change himself. Instead, it just looks like the guy wasn't good enough to hang with the tougher, meaner heels. He appears like a lesser than - and perception is a powerful resource in pro wrestling.

So these new baby face are practically handicapped right out of the gate.

I initially thought about Foley being booted from the Corporation in late '98, but I feel like that one's kind of a cheat. Mick was already garnering sympathy from the fans in the whole "surrogate son" of Mr. McMahon role for months before the actual turn was put in motion. With guys like Seth and Randy, the exile was the exact, specific moment meant to spark the turn.

Road Warriors turning on Dusty in '88.

The Eugene heel turn was wretched. The gimmick as a whole was pretty tasteless, but trying to turn him into a bad guy made it even worse. Am I really supposed to boo a mentally handicapped man who wants people to stop laughing at him? The only way it could have possibly worked is if he had revealed he was faking it the whole time.

Major missed opportunity there. It would have made everything the character did before look more funny if you knew it was a con-man screwing with people.