Pro Wrestling Only

I'm hosting a weekly podcast with Jerry Jarrett - help me out!

Sean Liska

I'll follow what's going on with this podcast here. Jerry Jarrett has become unfollowable on Twitter very quickly since he spends all of his time basically quote tweeting Bruce Prichard trolls. If I wanted to follow a Twitter account that quote tweeted Bruce Prichard trolls all day, I wouldn't have unfollowed Dave Meltzer.

I think the lesson there is to run the podcast straight without gimmicks or attempts at buzz worthy feuding.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are the tweets:

matthew jackson

‏ @phenomenal256

Replying to @moonpie1977 @wdny1313 @JerryJarrett

Right but Memphis was one of the rich territories because Of Lawler bringing mainstream attention to it. How else do you think they managed to survive Vince for so long? They weren't a poor old outlaw fed, if they were Jerry couldn't have afforded that Mansion in Hendersonville

Jerry Jarrett

‏ @JerryJarrett

2h2 hours ago

Jerry Jarrett Retweeted matthew jackson

You seem strangely attracted to me, my success, my wrath, my house, and you also seem to like my insults. Are you gay by any chance?

Not an insult exactly, but definitely immature and misguided.

His entire Twitter seems like a drunken Southern shitshow.

As far as Twitter goes, it seems that "working feuds" and "feeding the trolls" is what attracts attention, unfortunately. We've seen it from Meltzer and others too. Not my cup of tea at all, but there must be some "business" reason for doing this, right? (As Sorrow also pointed out right above my post.)

With that said, Jerry Jarrett's experience and knowledge, and his status as the "last man standing" in the territories, should make for an incredible podcast. As long as the podcast is nothing like his Twitter, or his "humor" is limited to small doses, the sky is the limit IMO.

These are the tweets:

matthew jackson

‏ @phenomenal256

Replying to @moonpie1977 @wdny1313 @JerryJarrett

Right but Memphis was one of the rich territories because Of Lawler bringing mainstream attention to it. How else do you think they managed to survive Vince for so long? They weren't a poor old outlaw fed, if they were Jerry couldn't have afforded that Mansion in Hendersonville

Jerry Jarrett

‏ @JerryJarrett

2h2 hours ago

Jerry Jarrett Retweeted matthew jackson

You seem strangely attracted to me, my success, my wrath, my house, and you also seem to like my insults. Are you gay by any chance?

Not an insult exactly, but definitely immature and misguided.

His entire Twitter seems like a drunken Southern shitshow.

As far as Twitter goes, it seems that "working feuds" and "feeding the trolls" is what attracts attention, unfortunately. We've seen it from Meltzer and others too. Not my cup of tea at all, but there must be some "business" reason for doing this, right? (As Sorrow also pointed out right above my post.)

With that said, Jerry Jarrett's experience and knowledge, and his status as the "last man standing" in the territories, should make for an incredible podcast. As long as the podcast is nothing like his Twitter, or his "humor" is limited to small doses, the sky is the limit IMO.

I would agree with most of this. I envision podcast Jerry and Twitter Jerry having a very similar distinction like Meltzer.

Any fun questions on the Kaufman-Lawler feud that haven't been covered? I know this is a topic that's been hit hard but we have to do an episode on it, it's what the people want.

I think people have been told the general story, but I don't think we've gotten a really deep dive on what went on behind the scenes. I also think the story is always told about Lawler and Kaufman putting this together, but obviously Jarrett was very involved as well, and I'd be curious to know about his role. To that end, a few questions:

- The story has always been that the first phone call was Kaufman and Lawler (brokered by Bill Apter). When did Jerry get involved? Who laid out the angle? What were the negotiations with Kaufman like past the first conversation where there was mutual interest?

- Were Lawler and Jarrett giving him any direction on the promos? If so, what?

- What was the vibe in the dressing room like? Did Kaufman interact with everybody?

- What did Jarrett know about the Letterman incident beforehand?

- How much does he credit Kaufman with building business? How long did the bump last? Does he feel it had a lasting positive impact on the promotion from all the publicity?

I'd also be into any stray untold Andy Kaufman stories. Endlessly fascinating guy.

Any fun questions on the Kaufman-Lawler feud that haven't been covered? I know this is a topic that's been hit hard but we have to do an episode on it, it's what the people want.

I think people have been told the general story, but I don't think we've gotten a really deep dive on what went on behind the scenes. I also think the story is always told about Lawler and Kaufman putting this together, but obviously Jarrett was very involved as well, and I'd be curious to know about his role. To that end, a few questions:

- The story has always been that the first phone call was Kaufman and Lawler (brokered by Bill Apter). When did Jerry get involved? Who laid out the angle? What were the negotiations with Kaufman like past the first conversation where there was mutual interest?

- Were Lawler and Jarrett giving him any direction on the promos? If so, what?

- What was the vibe in the dressing room like? Did Kaufman interact with everybody?

- What did Jarrett know about the Letterman incident beforehand?

- How much does he credit Kaufman with building business? How long did the bump last? Does he feel it had a lasting positive impact on the promotion from all the publicity?

I'd also be into any stray untold Andy Kaufman stories. Endlessly fascinating guy.

Thanks! Great stuff.

Re: Kaufman and trying to think of something from an angle that'd be interesting.

Obviously Memphis is very different from the New York wrestling he grew up with. I'd be curious how familiar Andy was with Memphis wrestling in general, the differences in style.

I'd be curious what he thought about the in ring product itself, again, the differences in style.

Does he think Paul Boesch really called Jerry Lawler after the punch? What were other promoters saying to Jerry Jarrett about running this sort of angle?

We just did a 10-minute practice run and I already heard a few stories that amazed me that I haven't heard. I'm not on here being a salesman, I respect Loss too much for that to use his board for that, I just think that people who love territory history are really, really going to like this show. We release our first episode Friday about Kaufman.

That's his business.

I think he gives Prichard too much time and attention. He has done too many great things to worry about what other people think of him.

Are we sure they're not two old carnies working a feud?

While I think the Jerry Jarrett-Bruce Prichard "feud" is the stupidest shit ever and makes both guys look dumber by default, I have to admit I've been laughing out loud at Jerry Jarrett's tweets today.

Brucie Pritch-Turd is really a sad individual and I'm going to be more sympathetic toward his mental shortcomings. He has had a sad life all his life. Brucie would get very drunk and start crying and tell Pat and I stories from his childhood. I'll tell you some of the stories.

Brucie-Turd stories: One time when Brucie was about 12 years old he asked his dad if he could go ice skateing on the lake. His dad told him to wait until it warmed up.

Brucie-Turd stories: Brucie gets his stupidness honestly. During the Civil War his great grandfather fought for the West.

Brucie-Turd stories; The stupid gene was passed down in his family from generation to generation. His father worked in a bank and was arrested for stealing pens.

Brucie-Turd stories; When Brucie was born the doctor went out to the waiting room and said to Papa Brucie, "I'm very sorry. We did everything we could, but he pulled through."

:lol:

I'm hesitant on the Prichard stuff but Jerry is 75 and rich and having the time of his life on Twitter and who am I to tell one of the greatest promoters of all-time how to promote himself. I can tell you Prichard was not mentioned or even hinted at in the show we did today, it was all behind the scenes stuff from Kaufman's run.

I can't wait, especially since the first one is about Kaufman!

Rookie questions:

- What is the easiest/best way to listen to a podcast at home other than using your phone?

- How easy is it to set up while driving? I assume my phone can hook up to the car for podcasts because I can take and receive hands-free speaker calls through bluetooth.

As you can tell, I've never dabbled in podcasts before (outside of the video podcasts on WWE Network).