Pro Wrestling Only

[2001-01-14-JCW-Teaneck Turmoil] Da Hit Squad vs The Moondogs 2000 (Tables)

GSR

The rematch for the held up JCW tag team titles which, although a tables match, is to be contested under slightly different rules as you have to both put your opponents through a table and also score a pinfall over them to be declared the winner. The teams don’t make it to the ring as Wenzel makes a beeline for Mafia the moment he removes his jacket. Mafia launches a chair at him, however Wenzel reverses the whip into a cart, sending Mafia crashing into it with some force. He throws him into the wall, but Mafia is able to life up one of the nearby tables and slam it into Wenzel. The two continue to go at it with Wenzel whipping Mafia into the emergency exit door, although they don’t head out the building like I half expected. They finally venture into the ring as we get our first glimpse of Mollson and Mack (there’s only one roaming handheld camera filming this and no commentary (which is a blessing after last time!)). Mollson chokes Mack with a chair before cracking him over the back with it. Da Hit Squad’s manager (no idea who he is) gives the big dog a shove but he barely acknowledges it. Mack avoids being rammed into the ring post, sending Mollson into it instead. Double team hot shot on Wenzel. As he’s staggering about on the outside that manager clocks him with a chair, Mafia with the cover, getting a three count, and now they just need to put one of the Dogs through a table. Wenzel snatches a chair off him and then repeatedly slams his head into the wooden bleachers as a couple of fans try to get a “J-C-Dub” chant going. Snap suplex on the floor. A quick shot of what’s happening inside to catch Mollson miss a moonsault. Wenzel puts the boots to Mafia and drills him with a chair to the head. Back to the in ring action just in time to catch that unknown manager throwing powder in the face of Mack, double crossing DHS, as he’s sat on the top turnbuckle about to put Mollson through a table. Mafia folds Wenzel double with a belly to back suplex which elicits a “broke his neck” chant. Mollson catches him with a boot to the face and Wenzel with his modified chokeslam. With Mack still blinded by the powder, they lift Mafia up and give him to Mack who superbombs his own partner through the table. Wenzel makes an immediate cover and the Moondogs 2000 are the new JCW tag team champions. The manager celebrates with the Dogs and basically accuses the DHS of going soft in a promo to the camera. A promo he then repeats over the house mic, and a third time in a post-match dressing room interview.

The teams made great use of the venue (a high school gym) brawling all over it and this was what I was expecting from their first match. There was just something missing for me though, it didn’t feel right and while I can’t put my finger on it, I’m guessing it was to do with that manager. I didn’t recognise him and he wasn’t with DHS a week ago. Why do Da Hit Squad even need a manager in the first place? While the finish was a nice idea it took an eternity to set up and there was not a chance Mack would still be ‘blinded’ by the time the Moondogs finally got Mafia over to him for the superbomb. If it had happened a matter of seconds after the blinding (like in the Suicidal Tendencies/Boogalou Crew tag), not an issue, but this was stretching things a little too far.

• GSR changed the title to [2001-01-14-JCW-Teaneck Turmoil] Da Hit Squad vs The Moondogs 2000 (Tables)
  • 1 year later...

Really liked opening bit of this using building well and some big fat guy bumps. Back half of the match much more of a chore. The contrived finish between the manager being involved and the powder really derailed things. I will split the difference overall and say it’s just below the threshold of good. **3/4