Pro Wrestling Only

[2018-05-18-NJPW-Best of the Super Juniors] ACH vs Flip Gordon

nivvad

This was not a match I had expected to be as good as it was. With two guys very well known for being high flyers, I expected this to try and imitate the Ricochet vs Ospreay matches from previous years. Ironically it wasn't as spotty as I thought it would be which allowed both guys to bring more standard wrestling into the mix. ACH in particular was great here. Flip was good too, but a little more awkward than usual. Hope to see both of these guys tear it up in the tournament, ****.

Have not heard many good things about Flip, but he acquitted himself very well. ACH did a great job being more aggressive than usual and just chopped the shit out of Flip. This allowed Flip to rally back and shine with some very impressive aerial maneuvers. Great and really fun match that allowed both guys to play to their strengths.

ACH is the star of this match, putting in a more grounded and aggressive performance with the selling of his shoulder and the constant chops. Probably the best part of the match is Flip doing his ridiculously stupid kip ups followed by ACH just nailing him with a sick chop. Outside being incredibly stupid in that one spot, Flip just came off as athletic but entirely bland. He had nothing really to contribute here outside of his big high spots. The crowd brawl into the staircase flip was entirely convoluted and lame and that's around the time I really started checking out despite ACH's attempts to try and really ground things in something a little more dramatic.

***1/2

• GSR changed the title to [2018-05-18-NJPW-Best of the Super Juniors] ACH vs Flip Gordon