Pro Wrestling Only

[2001-01-27-NWA Wildside-TV] Bad Attitude (Rick Michaels & David Young) vs Total Destruction (Sean Royal & Rusty Riddle) (Georgia Street Fight)

GSR

A Georgia Street fight for the NWA World tag team titles. Riddle is the spit of ‘Bulldozer’ era Brian Lee, while this is the same Sean Royal of New Breed fame, looking completely unrecognisable I may add. Fuck, Royal is goose stepping up and down the apron! After a bit of stalling and Michaels informing these “Georgia crackers” to shut the hell up and quit psyching that drunk up, this one finally gets going. Michaels with a leap frog, but Riddle catches him mid-are and powerslams him to the mat. He’s had enough already and tags in his partner. Young wants Royal, who the commentators describe as a man with a chip on his shoulder, and the two start trading blows holding nothing back. Royal blocks the hip toss, countering with one of his own and lands a dropkick, although this isn’t 1987 ‘New Breed’ Sean Royal throwing a dropkick! Release overhead belly to belly and Young takes to the floor. Nice Fujiwara arm bar takedown after ducking a swinging Michaels right hand and Young is in for the save breaking it up. That brings in Riddle as the bout descends into the brawl that you were kind of expecting. Riddle with a couple of chair shots on the floor to the back of Michaels, but after wedging a chair between the bottom two turnbuckles, Michaels reverses the whip and he crashes into it himself. Royal and Young join their partners on the outside as it looks like all hell is about to break out! Michaels is launched into the security rail, Royal cracks a chair over the head of Young busting him open and finally Michaels wipes out a row of seats after being hip tossed into them. He and Riddle fight their way into the urinals before returning to the ring. Riddle sets up a chair in the middle, however Michaels reverses the Irish whip, drop toe hold and he goes face first into it himself. Royal is choking Young over the barricade and a clubbing blow to the back from Michaels helps his partner out. A stiff chair shot to the head of Royal and then they’re back doing their best to cause as much damage to those barricades as possible. Royal slams Young on the hard wooded floor, while Michaels has removed his boot and is now using that as a weapon. Young lays Royal on a mini-table at ringside and then puts it through him with a frog splash from the apron. Riddle misses a leg drop off the top, but as Michaels goes for a top rope move of his own, he flies into a Riddle raised boot. Royal picks up what’s left of that mini table and slams it into the head of Young. The action spills out of the arena and into the adjacent car park where, at the earliest opportune time, Michaels and Young hop into a pick up and high tail it out of there wanting nothing more to do with ‘Total Destruction’.

This was a throw back to your Street fights of old, none of your conveniently placed ladders, trash cans and fire extinguishers to use as weapons like in the majority of ‘hardcore’ matches that are going on at the moment, just chairs, whatever’s at ringside and whatever you’re wearing. I was stoked to see Michaels pull off his boot and start swinging that, something I hadn’t seen for a long time. I liked the escalation of this too as, despite the Street fight rules, it started off as a traditional tag team match and you forget that it’s anything goes, until all hell does literally break out. Not the kind of finish that can be done regularly, but as a one off within his setting, I thought it was a smart and worked.

• GSR changed the title to [2001-01-27-NWA Wildside-TV] Bad Attitude (Rick Michaels & David Young) vs Total Destruction (Sean Royal & Rusty Riddle) (Georgia Street Fight)
  • 1 year later...

A fun southern style brawl. This really displayed the nooks and crannies of the Barn in Cornelia as we get a view of the bathroom and also the outside area where the match ends with Michaels and Young hopping into the car and skipping town. I have talked a bit about NWA Wildside presenting these longish matches and how they remind me of Portland but this felt definitvely Memphis and was a ton of fun to watch. ***1/4 (6.3)