Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV $$$ Edition (0$/21 - 0$/27)

KawadaSmile

Who would want to keep up with all the content they put out now? I just don't get that mentality. It's like so many fans feel obligated to watch every second of shit they put out. Why? What's the point?

With the Network and all their various weekly shows, WWE is on the brink of becoming a CNN-like channel or having content produced and pumped out 24/7. Some of you will likely be faced with the decision of quitting your jobs, abandoning your families, and living as shut-ins just to stay all caught up with your WWE. It's reached a ridiculous level of commitment already.

It's meant to be a hobby. When it's no longer enjoyable, I stop doing it. I'm not being paid to stick with this stuff. It's why I can't comprehend people treating it that way - like some obligation or duty to be carried out.

PWG is the only promotion I can keep current with, because their schedule is so easy to follow for me. If WWE had a similar schedule with limited lineups and a handful of angles per year, then yeah. I'd stay caught up with them, too. But, ya know. Life. Priorities. And all that good stuff.

I think it's less people feeling the need to watch live and more mourning the death of the era where that was possible and / or fun.

It used to be enjoyable to sit down and watch a PPV with friends. Now a single PPV (and certainly ever big 4 show) is going to push way past the boundaries of what most people enjoy in one sitting. It sucks that the WWE is basically requiring that their shows be watched later and cherry picked unless you have an insane tolerance for long wrestling shows.

At this point, it seems like the WWE wants the PPV is something you basically have on the background while you and your friends are hanging out, doing other things. They don't want fans who are actually watching 100% of the time.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who would want to keep up with all the content they put out now? I just don't get that mentality. It's like so many fans feel obligated to watch every second of shit they put out. Why? What's the point?

With the Network and all their various weekly shows, WWE is on the brink of becoming a CNN-like channel or having content produced and pumped out 24/7. Some of you will likely be faced with the decision of quitting your jobs, abandoning your families, and living as shut-ins just to stay all caught up with your WWE. It's reached a ridiculous level of commitment already.

It's meant to be a hobby. When it's no longer enjoyable, I stop doing it. I'm not being paid to stick with this stuff. It's why I can't comprehend people treating it that way - like some obligation or duty to be carried out.

PWG is the only promotion I can keep current with, because their schedule is so easy to follow for me. If WWE had a similar schedule with limited lineups and a handful of angles per year, then yeah. I'd stay caught up with them, too. But, ya know. Life. Priorities. And all that good stuff.

I think it's less people feeling the need to watch live and more mourning the death of the era where that was possible and / or fun.

It used to be enjoyable to sit down and watch a PPV with friends. Now a single PPV (and certainly ever big 4 show) is going to push way past the boundaries of what most people enjoy in one sitting. It sucks that the WWE is basically requiring that their shows be watched later and cherry picked unless you have an insane tolerance for long wrestling shows.

At this point, it seems like the WWE wants the PPV is something you basically have on the background while you and your friends are hanging out, doing other things. They don't want fans who are actually watching 100% of the time.

That's exactly how it is for me. We barbecue, bullshit, and make sure to watch the stuff we're really interested in.

This might actually be the deciding factor for me. Or, factors.

Between the dreadful Backlash, the abysmal raw this week ( I had completely zoned out after the first hour and bussing myself with my mobile and pretty much everything else), the now regular 4 hour PPV's (which I have to watch alone, except the Big 4 because all my friends I used to watch wrestling with tapped out a long time ago and only one of them is willing to watch anything at all with me) and a potential move to fridays for SD (which sucks because that way I'd have to watch it on saturday or sunday to avoid spoilers, and weekends are family time exclusive, except TakeOvers) I might have lost any desire ot keep on watching.

I'm also not a cherry picking guy, for me it's all or nothing and has ever been, and to avoid spoiers I have to watch Raw on tuesdays after work, same with SD on wednesday. Add in NXT and that's three times a week where I come home and watch WWE. Add in a 4+ hour PPv once a month which completely ruins the mondays for me, and it's the breaking point. It's just not worth it.

Now, if it were must see TV with compelling storylines and characters, I'd probably put up with it. But it isn't. The product is bland and boring for most the time, the characters are pretty much in no way able to grab my attention (hell, Styles has been my fave wrestler for over a decade, and by this point I even phase out in his matches, because it's so hard to give a damn). My love for wrestling is still there, it's just the current WWE that's doing it's best to ruin it. And I refuse to let that happen!

I only caught half of Raw but the first two matches were a strong 1-2 punch. Loved the slow build of Owens-Reigns with KO doing things like rolling outside after a big bump that few do anymore. The tag was excellent too. Is Rollins having the best run of his career?

I'm not sure why KO decided to start doing the Mr. Perfect/Shawn-on-Coke bumps, but I've been enjoying it. Also I fell asleep after the tag match and woke up again during Alexa-Nia. Probably the most perfectly timed nap I've ever had in my life.

(hell, Styles has been my fave wrestler for over a decade, and by this point I even phase out in his matches, because it's so hard to give a damn)

Something has to be said about that, as even AJ Styles booked by Vince Russo in TNA was more entertaining and even engaging as a character (yes, even when it was goofy and he played a goofball tag-along having the hots for Karen Angle) than anything he did since he got in WWE, where's he basically been *there* as a "guy who is supposed to have great matches".

I only caught half of Raw but the first two matches were a strong 1-2 punch. Loved the slow build of Owens-Reigns with KO doing things like rolling outside after a big bump that few do anymore. The tag was excellent too. Is Rollins having the best run of his career?

For sure. I used to dread anything he did. Last night, when his music hit to come save Roman, I said “yes!” Aloud. Never would have imagined that happening when his title run actually drove me away from watching WWE back in 2015.

Dave made the point on the Raw recap show that Seth's managed to become one of the most over guys on Raw and having great matches all while doing the opposite of what guys are being told to do in developmental.

Sell and do shit with resonance instead of just getting your stuff in and popping the crowd?

Dave made the point on the Raw recap show that Seth's managed to become one of the most over guys on Raw and having great matches all while doing the opposite of what guys are being told to do in developmental.

What is that exactly?

See above.

I'm kind of in the dark here - what exactly is Rollins doing that the guys in developmental are being told not to do? Wasn't the common knock against Rollins that, as a heel, his offense was too flashy, but now that he's a face, its fine?

As someone who only watches the PPVs (over the course of several days because who has time for these death marches?), I've definitely missed the Seth Rollins turnaround story. His match at Mania was okay - better than average even - but I thought it was more like when your lead-off hitter gets a single at the top of the 1st. They accomplished what they needed to. It was a good start to the show. The Rollins/Miz match at Backlash wasn't bad either, but maybe because I haven't been on board for Rollins' recent RAW run, I wasn't drawn in the way others were. Again, it was an above average match, but I think it sits squarely in that 3-3.5 star range (good not great) and I didn't really see anything new out of Rollins.

Also, not to be too snarky, but as I don't watch RAW, I know I must've missed the episode where we learned what a Seth Rollins is. Is he still the Architect? What does "Monday Night Rollins" mean more than just being a pun? Does he have a new motivation?

Just seems to me that Rollins being the top babyface on RAW has happened by default more than by anything he's done to expand his character based on the admittedly limited amount of the "new Rollins" I've seen. No kidding aside, what am I missing?

So far as I can remember, the big issue in development is that Terry Taylor wanted him to rein things in and do less and go slower and try to tell more of a story and Rollins wanted to do the things that Ziggler's been forever held back for (as he defies the office to wrestle how he wants): hit as much stuff as possible (and bump as much as possible) with as much energy as possible. This was back in one of the documentaries, Breaking Ground or the SHIELD one from a few years ago or something.

Also, not to be too snarky, but as I don't watch RAW, I know I must've missed the episode where we learned what a Seth Rollins is. Is he still the Architect? What does "Monday Night Rollins" mean more than just being a pun? Does he have a new motivation?

Now he wants to burn things down.

Sell and do shit with resonance instead of just getting your stuff in and popping the crowd?

Is Seth the one not selling in your mind, or are you referring to wrestlers in developmental when you say that?

Are you watching the TV? Seth is definitely selling. It's not the kind of selling I'm crazy about, but he's gotten a lot better than the nadir of that HHH WM match where he does lots of flips, flying, and knee based offense and then momentarily grabs his leg afterwards. He's still spot monkeying a lot though.

I was mainly noting what the problem was vs developmental a few years back. It's pretty much the only thing Meltzer could have been referring to, especially since the NXT house style has shifted so much since then. We just had Almas vs Gargano a couple of months ago. I think Rollins is generally fine now if he's working a base, though he has a few aggravating spots (but most people do). He's somewhat less fine if he's working someone who's more apt to bring out his worst tendencies. I think he could have a really good match with a guy like Braun right now.

I'm kind of in the dark here - what exactly is Rollins doing that the guys in developmental are being told not to do? Wasn't the common knock against Rollins that, as a heel, his offense was too flashy, but now that he's a face, its fine?

As someone who only watches the PPVs (over the course of several days because who has time for these death marches?), I've definitely missed the Seth Rollins turnaround story. His match at Mania was okay - better than average even - but I thought it was more like when your lead-off hitter gets a single at the top of the 1st. They accomplished what they needed to. It was a good start to the show. The Rollins/Miz match at Backlash wasn't bad either, but maybe because I haven't been on board for Rollins' recent RAW run, I wasn't drawn in the way others were. Again, it was an above average match, but I think it sits squarely in that 3-3.5 star range (good not great) and I didn't really see anything new out of Rollins.

Just seems to me that Rollins being the top babyface on RAW has happened by default more than by anything he's done to expand his character based on the admittedly limited amount of the "new Rollins" I've seen. No kidding aside, what am I missing?

No. You haven't missed anything.

No. Seth has not found an identity or a personality yet. He's still Freakin. Or the Architect. Or the Kingslayer. Or whateverthefuck meaningless, hollow nickname he cooks up this year.

Seth has had the match of the night - or at least been in that conversation - on a number of occasions since January or February. That's really it. People started talking about him "being on a roll", and it just snowballed from there.

Nobody knows what he's supposed to be or represent. Nobody knows what he's burning down. Nobody knows why his idea of selling is the exact same as his idea of firing up - and both of those things seem to hinge on him hissing loudly. A lot.

Nothing much has changed. Maybe he's tuned up his pace a frog's hair here or there, but it's nothing that noticeable. He just happens to be the guy having the best matches on some of these oppressively long cards. He functions fine as the mid-card mainstay, but I still say his rep immediately suffers if they thrust him back into that main event spot.