Pro Wrestling Only

Vince Russo and his place in wrestling history

Guest HTQ

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were a lot of things about Russo that have bothered me in the past and present. Not understanding the current wrestling landscape, and not hiding wrestler's weaknesses, and highlighting wrestler's strengths. I remember him booking Benoit/Malenko in a street fight. Two of the best mat workers in the company in a street fight. I mean WTF. I remember Russo bragged in interviews how he got Ernest Miller over, Misfits in Action, Norman Smiley, and the AFKNAPI. Ernest Miller had that turn off the t.v heat. MIA was just stupid,Norman Smiley was entertaining but it didn't draw any money. It was a mid card gimmick. Anyone who would watch his television would realize he writes bad wrestling. He doesn't know how to seperate the mid-card from the main event. No one will never forget the Tequila finisher in the Liger-Juvy match.

The Liger-Juvi deal is so bad that New Japan never mention it at all. I think it's still part of the IWGP Jr Title history, but they've virtually wiped it from the record otherwise.

And putting Joe and Angle in an Iron Man match made no sense at all, given how the feud was built up over how much they hated each other. A more logical stipulation would have been a streetfight or a cage match, but instead they were put in a match that better fit a storyline based around respect.

The Liger-Juvi deal is so bad that New Japan never mention it at all. I think it's still part of the IWGP Jr Title history, but they've virtually wiped it from the record otherwise.

It's recognized:

http://www.njpw.co.jp/histry/jr_main06.html

Juve is #36.

http://www.njpw.co.jp/histry/jr_main07.html

Liger gets it back as #37.

AltaVista doesn't translate things very well, but one of the items that comes through is "recognition to provisional throne" which I think ties into Juve being hurt and Psic facing Liger for the belt.

I don't think New Japan liked it, but Liger could have easily said "no".

John

I don't think New Japan liked it, but Liger could have easily said "no".

I've always wondered why he never refused to go through with that nonsense. I'm guessing because he felt it would reflect badly on New Japan if he didn't work with their partners.

I can't remember how the WON wrote it up. I get the feeling that Liger came over with the title changes planned (to pick up his 11th reign) despite having just won the belt back in October. Russo or ED came up with the great idea of the bottle, and Liger went along.

Liger's whole final run with the belt over those two reigns was odd anyway. So it's kind of fitting that those two title changes were a mess.

John

Guest teke184

He is one of the guys from VinceRusso.net who truley believe that Russo is a savior to Pro Wrestling.

They let people like that out on the streets?

Unfortunately.

I got e-mails from some of those jackasses after I wrote up the Russo Shoot Interview a few years back and made some less-than-flattering remarks about Russo and what he had to say.