Pro Wrestling Only

RAW rating

Loss

RAW got a 4.0 this week, courtesy of Meltzer. That's a pretty high rating, especially with no post-PPV bump and nothing particularly unique being hyped. I haven't been following the ratings much at all lately, but I'm curious if they've been hitting around this level and staying there, as that's a really impressive number. I'm also curious what you'd attribute the number to.

The best source for quick and dirty ratings history is the Wrestling Information Archive:

WWE Ratings History

Ratings had been in the 3.6 +/- 0.2 range during football season with *no* outliners other than Christmas.

They were in roughly the 4.0 +/- 0.2 range prior to that back to late Feb 2006 with with a handful of outliners, only won as high a +/- 0.4.

The end of football looks to have boosted it up from 3.6 +/- 0.2 to possibly the 3.9 +/- 0.2 range. It's a bit too early to tell if the second week of the year was an outliner and the range is slightly higher, or if it's the bottom of the range. I'd hazzard to guess it's a mild outliner and the range probably centers on 4.0 or so.

Anyway, on the question...

There's nothing significant about the 4.0 or the 4.1 last week. The ratings are simply back up to what they were before football. So far, they're actually worse than they were this time of year in 2006.

John

Don't the major US sports stop around this time?

It always seems to pick up in the build up for Mania.

Yeah, it's the end of Monday Night Football more than anything else, as John pointed out.

And as anarchistxx points out, the RumbleMania period tends to draw lapsed fans back in. It's lately been the only time of year that I follow WWE closely at all, and I know I'm not alone in that.