Pro Wrestling Only

TNA booking has absolutely murdered Joe

Bix

Crowd turned on Joe about halfway through and started chanting "Joe is gonna eat you", "same old shit", and "Angles bitch". When Joe put on the rear naked choke for the finish the crowd chanted "please dont tap" to Nigel.

This would not have happened 6 months ago.

Guest teke184

Did this actually happen? Was Johnny Ace right? Does Joe regret not signing on as Umaga?

If Johnny Ace has been proven right, it had to happen eventually.

No one can be wrong that many times without accidentally being right once in a while.

Or it could be just smarky hipster ROH douches hating on Joe because he's been spending more time in TNA lately.

Just saying, it was bound to happen sooner or later that Joe was going to reach "enough people like him so now the first ones to like him have to hate him to maintan their cred" status.

Or most likely a combo of both.

WWE proved with Umaga that once someone pushed as an unstoppable monster loses a match, they lose some of the aura. No one's been able to end an undefeated streak without costing the guy's momentum. See also: Goldberg, Bill.

Guest TheShawshankRudotion

It's most likely a backlash over the perceived slight "their" wrestler made in allowing himself to look however he looks on TNA television. After all, the ROH fanbase supported Joe and "got" him to TNA, the least he could do is pay back their support by not letting himself look however he looks. It's about self-respect, and most importantly, respecting the ROH fanbase aka The Best Fans On The Planet.

It's akin to ECW fans chanting "you sold out", but ROH fans are so much more clever than that.

This happened at last night's ROH show, I believe.

I don't think it's a case of the ROHbots turning on Joe for getting over elsewhere, as much as it is that they think he disrespected the business or the boys in the back or the fans that made him or something stupid like that.

Rudo summed it up nicely.

Guest TheShawshankRudotion

What are the odds we see this turn into a Foley-esque, "Aunt Dixie" spin for Joe?

"You gotta listen to me Nigel, TNA is the place to be. We got Sting, We got Nash, we got Billy Gunn, we got all the big names people like you can lose to."

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the perception that Joe was "mailing it in" for so many of his early to mid 2006 ROH matches. I know he had some injuries that he was working through, but to a lot of the fans, it seemed like he was protecting himself and only going about 50% in ROH whenever he had a big TNA match coming up (the arena show and Joe/Necro III are two prime examples, but I know there were many more). Anyway, I think that had as much to do with the ROH fans turning as anything else, although certainly the awful TNA booking is also a factor.