Pro Wrestling Only

Is TNA the worst wrestling promotion in history?

Loss

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Austin Aries: "But hey, it's cool man, yeah we are hiring, if you come here we won’t test you, or take money out your pocket for smoking marijuana. There are a lot of perks to coming here, yeah, it's all about what you want for your career and your life."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/wrestling/austin-aries-kurt-angles-jibe-12348490

Uh, ok... :wacko:

And many other indie talents, especially if marijuana is still on WWE's post of banned substances. If I was told I could get a job somewhere that won't fine me for using a product that's legal in most of the country, keep my IP, and be paid alright while able to work wherever else? Damn straight I'm taking it.

And many other indie talents, especially if marijuana is still on WWE's post of banned substances. If I was told I could get a job somewhere that won't fine me for using a product that's legal in most of the country, keep my IP, and be paid alright while able to work wherever else? Damn straight I'm taking it.

If I was told I could get a job with the biggest company in my profession but have to give up marijuana OR go to another company that's constantly on life support and the joke of the industry but I could keep smoking marijuana, I'd put down the bud and better myself in the big leagues.

(Granted, I don't smoke at all, but I do think marijuana should be legal everywhere. Still, if weed is that important to someone that they'd choose it over bettering their professional circumstances, I really have to question their priorities in wrestling.)

Considering the substances wrestlers have relied on in the past to deal with the daily bumping and the grind of travel, it's ridiculous that WWE would have it on their list. They don't even count it as a Wellness failure, they just fine you for it. So they just create an environment where people either accept it as a "pot tax", or rely on potentially more dangerous substances.

I wonder how much of that, as it stands now, is due to them being a publicly-traded company. In 1993, it was likely an ass-covering move since the feds were breathing down their necks.

I think there are a few elements in play along with that. But I think almost all drug testing programs come down to control. Companies wanting to show they are in charge by making people piss in front of a stranger.

Though at least pro wrestler makes more sense for a drug test than a guy stocking shelves at Walmart.

Vince is known to famously hate smoking of any kind, which considering that makes his views on pot make sense in a weird way.

Did you ever hear the story of the rib that Jack Lanza and Pat Patterson played on The Big Show when he first signed with WWE, like one of his first meetings with Vince? They told him he could smoke in Vince's office. :lol:

Edibles and smoke are entirely different feelings, though, and many who smoke don't like edibles.

Regardless, I can see it being a deciding factor. Work a few dates a month for Impact (in addition to your indie bookings) and maintain personal freedom, both creatively and in terms of what you choose to put into your body...or take a chance in a company that has a track record of removing what made you special.

Regardless, I can see it being a deciding factor. Work a few dates a month for Impact (in addition to your indie bookings) and maintain personal freedom, both creatively and in terms of what you choose to put into your body...or

take a chance in a company that has a track record of removing what made you special.

If it were me, I'd still take the chance and go to the WWE. Even the worst-case scenarios will get you better paydays on the indies afterward.

Regardless, I can see it being a deciding factor. Work a few dates a month for Impact (in addition to your indie bookings) and maintain personal freedom, both creatively and in terms of what you choose to put into your body...or

take a chance in a company that has a track record of removing what made you special.

If it were me, I'd still take the chance and go to the WWE. Even the worst-case scenarios will get you better paydays on the indies afterward.

Not necessarily. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't a major factor in Styles and Bryan taking a decade to sign the money and how they made more of it than WWE were offering? Plus we have the Young Bucks out there who are so hot they move their own merch in national retailers, guys like Trent and Cody who've been better off on their own, Sami Callihan waa clearly not made for WWE, etc.

It's like any other job and would boil down to personal views. If somebody offered me $100k but I had to sign over all IP rights and would be fined for using something I purchased legally vs. keeping my $40-50k but maintaining independence and professional freedom? I spark that doob up. It comes down to what you value more.

I think all of you are underestimating how hard it is to make a living outside of the WWE machine.

Omega: Sure. Bucks: Yeah.

Cody, even though he was devalued as Stardust, was still a known quantity with a fan-following because of the WWE.

AJ and Bryan are not good examples to use because things were very different in 2005 when signing with the WWE than they are in 2018. Neither of them were name stars then who could command big money deals and/or much less dates from TNA like Angle, Christian, Foley, etc.

Which is how most musicians make their money, too. That band from across the country playing your nearby dive bar? They're probably only getting paid enough to get a little bit of gas and buy some shit off the dollar menu, but they probably don't want to sign their lives away to Sony or Elektra.

Indie wrestling is the new punk rock, and not just because of the overabundance of guys wearing kuttes and covered in shitty tattoos.

Which is how most musicians make their money, too. That band from across the country playing your nearby dive bar? They're probably only getting paid enough to get a little bit of gas and buy some shit off the dollar menu, but they probably don't want to sign their lives away to Sony or Elektra.

Indie wrestling is the new punk rock, and not just because of the overabundance of guys wearing kuttes and covered in shitty tattoos.

The other shift is that I think fans are super aware now that you buy the shirt to support the wrestler / band, since album sales (getting paid by promotions who sell shows) have been killed by streaming.