Pro Wrestling Only

Is TNA the worst wrestling promotion in history?

Loss

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The early months of 2009 have not been very good at all. It seems like Russo has gain power as he's got his fingerprint all over the show now. The Main Event Mafia angle could have been done right, but it was just a vehicule to make the product about the older WCW/WWF guys. AGAIN. AJ Styles and Samoa Joe are been pushed to the background. Fuck, Samoa Joe is getting back with the facepaint and attacking Scott Steiner with a knife. Yeah, that's when TNA fucked it all up with Joe. And Mick Foley has been there six months already and has been completely worthless. He sure talks about WWE a whole lot though, another Russo staple. And we've finally reached the point where Kurt Angle on top all the time is getting very close to overdose. Yep, not a good year at all thus far, seems like the first PPV with two really good matches was the last days of 2008. Since Dutch is getting fired soon, I can see why things are not going in the right direction... 

What were the women even doing at this point? I can't even recall.

What did you think about Jarrett returning in the baby face "Founder" role? I dug his fiery in-ring performances against Angle, but the story itself was a little wonky.

I *hate* it anytime a heel is given obstacles & hurdles to overcome en route to "earning" a rematch with their baby face rival. But it's TNA under Russo, so of course that's what they do.

Outside of the last few months, 2009 is fucking rrrrough to get through.

I loved the second Jarrett vs Angle match. Maybe Jarrett's greatest match and performance ever. But to me it gets silly after that point where you've got Jarrett the "founder", Foley the "stock holder" and Corny the "GM".

The women, well... The Beautiful People are fun characters but not so great in the ring (Velvet especially, Love is quite solid). Madison Rayne just joined them. Daphney is still doing the Governor but has already showed her true color. Taylor Wilde is kicking ass. Sojo Bolt just turned babyface. Not too sure about her, we'll see what she can do with Awesome Kong (basically if you can't have a very good match with Kong, you kinda suck). ODB is kinda going into comedy figure...

Yeah, really the booking took a nosedive quite quickly... I'm probably not going through this as quickly as I went through 2008, which was easy as hell for the most part.

Well, yeah, it was pretty fucking bad. Sojo atrociously blew a spot early on and from there maybe she lost confidence of something, but it's the worst she looked. It was mercifully short though. Kong really had no real good challenger since the Taylor Wilde feud. I have no idea why they didn't turn Melissa against her, she's like the best worker who barely ever works.

Actually the entire Destination X PPV was mostly bad to terrible, with only AJ vs Booker, the tag title match to an extent (3D vs Beer Money, marred by an idiotic finish) and the Ultimate X match especially were worth anything. Clear burn out on my part with TNA 2009 after mere two months and a half.

I'm definitely expecting OG LAX vs current LAX to be added for the World Tag Team Titles, probably with a stip like no DQ or something.

Oddly enough though, Austin Aries vs Moose is the match that entices me the least on that current card. And I'm a huge Aries fan. However the 4-way match with Ishimori, Fenix, Johnny Impact & Rich Swann should probably steal the show.

• 2 weeks later...

Slammiversary Card:

Austin Aries vs Moose for the Impact World Title

Su Yung vs Madison Rayne for the Impact Knockouts Title

Rich Swann vs Johnny Impact vs Ishimori vs Fenix

Pentagon Jr vs Sami Calahan Mask vs Hair

Matt Sydal vs Brian Cage for the Impact X Division Title

Eddie Edwards vs Tommy Dreamer in a House of Hardcore match

and just added...

OG LAX vs New LAX in a 5150 Street Fight for the Impact World Tag Team Titles

Tessa Blanchard vs Allie 

What's amazing is what is probably the worst match on paper (Edwards/Dreamer hardcore match) has a pretty solid angle behind it. Eddie's feud with Sami causing him to lose his mind and go crazy, and Tommy having to go old school hardcore to try to stop him. I only hope Tommy doesn't wear his silly Dusty tribute polka dot gear in this one. 

I'm more excited for this show than anything main roster WWE has done all year, excluding pretty much every Rousey match.

I know this place isn't exactly booming with Impact discussion, but anyone have any predictions? Is this where they finally pull the trigger on Moose? It almost feels too late in the game to be honest, but maybe not. Aries has served well as champ, but I don't know if this is the end of the road for him yet.

The Knockouts continue to shine. Allie is a brilliant baby face and everything Bayley should have been on the main roster. Tessa has stormed onto the scene in quick order though. Su Yung's gimmick is an all-time favorite of mine, and even Madison has looked surprisingly strong since returning.

I hope Callihan versus Pentagon is sufficiently violent. But this one's got stakes, and I love me a good wager challenge with something actually on the line.

I thought the Eddie character shift got off to a shaky start, but I'm enjoying the progression lately. This match could be "bail before breakfast" ugly, or it could be a fun little brawl. But the real story is how they handle Eddie in the aftermath anyway.

I don't know what Cage versus Sydal will look like, but I hope it's basically Cage versus Jack Evans in PWG 2.0. Just let the machine murderize him in front of the masses.

Above everything else though, I'm all in for that LAX street fight.

Co-signed on this being the show I'm looking forward to most of this year so far. Doubly so after the amount of times WWE's bigger shows (Extreme Rules, Greatest Rumble) were horrible disappointments.

As for predictions, I'm thinking Aries retains as he hasn't defended since winning it this time around, and his last reign was abruptly short with the Pentagon switch but it could go either way. The feud has been very well done, keeping Aries and Moose apart all this time.

Su retains but they've done a great job building up Madison. Cage wins no doubt but Sydal has had a great title run. If they bring back Option C as a thing with the X title, I think Cage is the guy to dethrone Aries later in the year. Pentagon of course beats Callihan. Edwards over Dreamer since Tommy is always there for the put over. Tessa beats Allie since she hasn't had a big win yet and is on back to back losses to Madison, but I love this as a rivalry. OGz beat LAX (since as far as I know it's non title). And the 4 way I'm guessing Johnny Impact gets a win in his big return, though I'm looking forward to Ishimori coming back as well.

Absolutely awesome looking card, but there's still quite a bit of Impact regulars not on the card (Kongo Kong, Eli Drake, Trevor Lee, Killer Kross, oVe & the rest of the tag division, etc.)

I know I saw somewhere that Eli Drake had just signed a new, extensive deal with them. Gotta figure they have some sort of plan for the guy.

Kong is so much fun as both character and worker. He could be their new resident monster to essentially replace Abyss. I don't mean in terms of garbage gimmick matches, but more in terms of "proving ground" style feuds. Abyss used to be the guy you had to go through to prove your grit & your merit. I just think Kong could also serve them well in that gatekeeper role.

Literally everything in Impact Wrestling recently has been fun to watch. There's only the Desi Hit Squad I couldn't give a flying fuck about but Rohit Raju definitely has potential.

Personally, I don't think it's the right time for Moose to win the title. I'd delay it to Bound For Glory instead. I don't think that Moose has had significant "feud wins" for me to believe he can be that top guy at the moment. Just roll with Austin Aries and I hope they can make Aries vs Impact down the road, one-on-one.

My favorite feud so far is Su Yung vs Madison Rayne. Those vignettes in the past 2 weeks have been absolutely creepy, yet awesome. My guess is that Su Yung retains and they're gonna wait for Rosemary to be cleared to return and have her win the title afterwards. At least, that's what I hope.

That card is legit stacked and no wonder they sold out the venue for this Sunday. The 5150 Street Fight has also the potential of being fantastic if Hernandez decides to toss Santana & Ortiz like rag dolls!

Yeah, add me to the list of people who are excited for the PPV. Impact has been a great mix of fun guys and wrestling how I like it to be presented. Aries comes off as a real star on top too so I’m not sure I’d have him lose it just yet, even though the winner of Sami/Pentagon is probably going to be next in line for the shot and that match will probably show which way the main is going to go.

15 hours ago, SirEdger said:

My favorite feud so far is Su Yung vs Madison Rayne. Those vignettes in the past 2 weeks have been absolutely creepy, yet awesome. My guess is that Su Yung retains and they're gonna wait for Rosemary to be cleared to return and have her win the title afterwards. At least, that's what I hope.

That's my hope as well I want a super long Su reign, but with Rosemary likely out until next year, I could see Su dropping it a multi-woman match to Tessa. Though the eventual Su/Rosemary showdown could/should be huge if it does happen, with the brief history already there and the recent style vignettes they would produce.

Yeah, I think TNA turned the corner some time ago. The company deserves its own catch-all thread with a decent title. :) . As for Slammiversary is continuing the trend of good summer shows outside of WWE. While WWE is presented Extreme Rules with a straight face, Impact is delivering Slammiversary. Toss in the G1, Lost In New York, and Takeover Brooklyn, and I would be surprised if SummerSlam even makes the top ten wrestling shows of the summer. Slammiversary is stacked and I will be watching.

Will finish the rest of the PPV later but have been genuinely impressed so far. Up to the Hair Vs. Mask match. The 5150 Street Fight was death. Su Yung's gimmick was great. The 4-way opener was pretty good. Liked the Brian Cage match too.