Photo

Is TNA the worst wrestling promotion in history?

• Please log in to reply
1689 replies to this topic

#1621 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8859 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:56 AM

I still don't know the answer to the question. WAS TNA THE WORST?! Plenty of great wrestling took place here. Plenty of bad wrestling took place. 

As I'm still going through it (reaching end of 2007), this is what should be emphazised. Shitload of good to legit great stuff has gone under the radar because "oh, it's TNA", which is ridiculous. If you look at the amount of shitty wrestling and storylines going on in the WWE during the same time, I'm not sure the ratio would be that much different, honestly.

#1622 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 2788 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, music, comics, beer, movies, history, sports...good manly stuff.

Posted 25 August 2017 - 10:11 AM

I agree that TNA had a bunch of great moments in the early years, but things really, REALLY, fall off a cliff after 2007. I mean 2007 wasn't spectacular but the subsequent years from what I remember are at times as bad as it gets for a national promotion. Where the "Oh, it's TNA" attitude really comes from is the 2008 to 2011 or so period

#1623 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8859 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:07 PM

Where the "Oh, it's TNA" attitude really comes from is the 2008 to 2011 or so period

Ouch. Maybe it's best for me to take a break after that Bound for Glory 07 show then. (although I recon the Knockouts glory years came just afterward that point and I'm interested in this)

#1624 concrete1992

concrete1992

Sammy D

• Members
  • 796 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:18 PM

I STILL think there are pockets of fun stuff in there worth watching. Especially with MCMG. Granted if you think they are the pits that'll be a tough sell. 

#1625 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8859 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:38 PM

I STILL think there are pockets of fun stuff in there worth watching. Especially with MCMG. Granted if you think they are the pits that'll be a tough sell. 

Nope, I enjoy them a lot. I actually think this is a case of the whole being better than the sum of the parts (although I really like Shelley).

#1626 ZThomas

ZThomas
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:54 PM

2008 wasn't too bad the women's tag division was good in the beginning

#1627 brocklock

brocklock
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:38 AM

There's also the last three months of 2009 when AJ/Joe/Daniels feuded for the world title and Nigel McGuiness got signed to feud with Angle. I also remember Scott Steiner having decent matches with Lashley around this time. It seemed like they finally were getting back to near summer 2005 levels of quality again but then Hogan/Bischoff came in and everything got extra terrible.

#1628 hammerva

hammerva
  • Members
  • 1760 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:39 AM

So given the mess with Jeff Jarrett temporarily leaving because of "personal reasons", is it safe to call the company TNA again

#1629 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:30 AM

2005 was probably their peak in terms of in-ring quality. But there was still lots of good stuff to be had scattered around amidst all the absurdity.

#1630 Sidebottom

Sidebottom
  • Members
  • 1119 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:54 AM

I think post 2010 is when things really fell of a cliff. I stopped watching during the never ending Aces and Eights nonsense. Up until that point, I'd always tune in weekly, even if it were just for background fodder. 

#1631 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:06 AM

When I was younger, I remember thinking the countless gimmick matches were cool but looking back it's like...wow, that was really, REALLY stupid. 

#1632 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:20 AM

I liked the Aces & Eights stuff, mostly because I liked seeing Bully Ray as the lead heel.

#1633 Lee

Lee
  • Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 04:30 AM

I think post 2010 is when things really fell of a cliff. I stopped watching during the never ending Aces and Eights nonsense. Up until that point, I'd always tune in weekly, even if it were just for background fodder. 

I actually got back into watching the show every week when the Aces and Eights thing first started, but then it dragged on forever until they finally started revealing guys, and, aside from the predictable Bully Ray turn, each one was a fart wetter than the last. 

#1634 SomethingSavage

SomethingSavage
  • Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:59 AM

At the time, it felt like they were really gaining some steam & momentum from late 2011 throughout most of 2012. The Roode turn and title reign, the saga of James Storm's redemption, the ascension of Austin Aries, the pairing of Daniels & Kazarian,  and a lot of other little things made the shows worth watching. And they weren't a chore to get through. Plus they had some standout matches during that period. Aries/Bully from two PPVs, Styles/Bully from Slammiversary 2011, and Aries/Joe as the opener of Slammiversary 2012 all instantly spring to mind without even thinking much about it.

I know there are people that absolutely despise the ideas, but I (usually) dug the Open Fight Night and short-lived weekly TV Title defense concepts as well.

Just glancing back, I think things fell off the rail sometime shortly after the Bully Ray reveal at LockDown. But for a good year or year and a half there, it honestly felt like they had a shot at leveling up.

#1635 ZThomas

ZThomas
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 04:13 PM

He deserves Credit for making the Brooke Hogan angle, He was really really good he was the glue to the whole Ace & 8's thing that whole period was the last time I commited my self to watching TNA week to week. That was a career run for him , I wish he got to be Bully Ray in WWE but I dont think they wouldve let him be him the way he was here

#1636 Alucard

Alucard
  • Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 06:58 PM

At the time, it felt like they were really gaining some steam & momentum from late 2011 throughout most of 2012. The Roode turn and title reign, the saga of James Storm's redemption, the ascension of Austin Aries, the pairing of Daniels & Kazarian,  and a lot of other little things made the shows worth watching. And they weren't a chore to get through. Plus they had some standout matches during that period. Aries/Bully from two PPVs, Styles/Bully from Slammiversary 2011, and Aries/Joe as the opener of Slammiversary 2012 all instantly spring to mind without even thinking much about it.

I know there are people that absolutely despise the ideas, but I (usually) dug the Open Fight Night and short-lived weekly TV Title defense concepts as well.

Just glancing back, I think things fell off the rail sometime shortly after the Bully Ray reveal at LockDown. But for a good year or year and a half there, it honestly felt like they had a shot at leveling up.

Amen to all this. Sums up my favorite period in TNA history, 2011-2012, and agreed that shortly after Lockdown 2013 was when things took a downturn

#1637 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8859 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:16 PM

Sue me, those drinking contest segments from Genesis 2007 with Eric Young & James Storm actually amused me. Especially Jackie Moore dropping a "That sumbitch is out!" at the end. And damn, that ladder match between Christian Cage & Kaz was quite the brutal affair too. Yeah still lot of good stuff in 2007, despite the awful Russo booking (I credit Mantell for everything good).

#1638 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8859 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 03:23 PM

Just watched Gail Kim vs Awesome Kong from Turning Point 2007. If that stuff was on WWE TV today, people would go apeshit for this and would  declare it the greatest thing of the year. (it also makes whatever praise Nia Jaxx gets even more ridiculous than it already is)

#1639 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:29 PM

It gets better.

#1640 rzombie1988

rzombie1988
  • Banned
  • 953 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:42 PM

Impact is back and GFW is gone. Good thing we didn't change the thread lol