Pro Wrestling Only

Matches from 1978

smkelly

The Funks vs. Nick Bockwinkel & Blackjack Lanza 9/21/1978 - It's amazing how in 1978 a double underhook suplex was sold by the wrestler, and announcer as certain death. The moveset they used then is nothing, nothing, nothing like what they use today. An atomic drop back then would be a nearfall, today, it's never used anymore. This match is a must for anyone who enjoys mat wrestling, high psychology, and "southern style" tag matches.

• 1 month later...

Harley Race v Jumbo Tsuruta - AJPW 01/20/78

Really an outstanding match. Not quite an all-time classic, and I'm sure there are other matches from the year that are probably better, but there are plenty of things to love here. One thing that I think I've overlooked about 1970s matches before now is that going outside the ring is really a false finish in itself, due to the huge number of DCORs at the time. In this match, I think the rolls outside and double countout teases are really good, especially since they do give the audience a decisive finish anyway. Some of Harley Race's spots are just so amazing - like using an AJW-ish bridge to kick out of a side headlock pinning combo and those headbutts look great. They were still building matches around the vertical suplex as a death move at this point in time, but it's nice to see big offense put over for a change, in contrast with so much of the wrestling you see today where they can pull off these amazing spots, but move on so quickly that the audience doesn't even really have time to appreciate it for what it's supposed to be. Jumbo's spinning toehold is awesome, and I love the psychology of Jumbo's second neckbreaker attempt not working because Race was the vet and wasn't going to eat the same offense twice. I will also point out that Jumbo gets the favorable edit with the first two falls both joining in progress with him in control. God Bless Dan Ginnetty for uncovering this a while back.