Pro Wrestling Only

Flair vs. Steamboat

Tim Cooke

In anticipation of Bix's comp, plus receiving the updated "Legends" set from Shado-X, I watched the Chi Town Rumble and WrestleWar matches over the weekend. For all the Ric Flair hate of recent years (some of which is justified), the Chi Town Rumble match is one of the most non-formulaic Flair matches out there and just overall terrific. Has anyone watched the uncut PPV version? I have only seen the Commercial version in all my watchings.

I am also very excited to see the Philly handheld match, which I haven't seen prior. Going to watch the Clash match this week, hoping that it will stand right by the Chi Town Rumble match as being worthy of going head to head with any match from the 80's.

Tim

I believe the uncut version is on the WWE 80's DVD? If so I've seen it. Either way, it's a fantastic match, though the 2/3 Falls match is just a bit better in my eyes.

Never liked the Wrestlewar match as much, I'd put it n the same foting as their Japan match from 82 that's on one of the ld AJ Classics discs, really good matches, just not on the level of Chi-Town and Clash.

I haven't seen the Philly match myself, but the Landover match from 3/18 is by far my favorite match between them. Fun to see Flair and Steamboat working their match in more exaggerated fashion, as they're playing to the arena instead of the TV cameras. To me, that match is most comparable to the Chi-Town match in terms of how it's laid out. I like the other two matches, but the Chi-Town is also my favorite match of the PPV/Clash trilogy. The Clash is a great match, but you definitely have to put yourself in a mood to watch it. Wrestle War seems to lose something every time I see it.

Agreed that WrestleWar is massively overrated. It certainly isn't "the best match ever" as the Flair DVD puts it. The Clash 2/3 falls is definitely a bit of an aquired taste, but I'd put it over WrestleWar any day of the week.

I have to agree with the others: The Chi-Town match is probably my favourite, and the most fun of the series. Clash VI may actually be a slightly better match, but it's like the WM12 Iron Man in that I need to be in the right setting to really enjoy the match. WrestleWar definitely hasn't aged well, but I do enjoy it still, but not as much if I see the other two matches first.