• 43648 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:15 PM

I have no clue what to say, really.

#3 tim

tim
  • Members
  • 1544 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:19 PM

10 minutes of the most boring TV in WWE history not involving Triple H followed by an explosion.

#4 Bix

Bix
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 6289 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:44 PM

That was the pinnacle of professional wrestling.

#5 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10193 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:55 PM

It was awesome as was most of the show. The whole setup sort of reminded me of Heenans last WWF show, when Monsoon had enough and threw him out into the world. Everyone knew it was bullshit, just like everyone knows this is bullshit, but it was an appropriate ending to an era

#6 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 10718 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:32 PM

The only thing that could top this is finding out Divari wired the limo to explode as payback for getting removed off TV every time the guy he's managing gets over.

#7 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 4961 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:56 PM

Yeah, so I'm done as far as new WWE programming now.

#8 Tim Evans

Tim Evans
  • Members
  • 4116 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:26 AM

Heaven needed another hero. God speed Vince. Seriously that was great. Could care less what the haters say.

#9 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 10718 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:58 AM

They need to start next week's RAW with a Vince montage set to "Tell Me a Lie".

#10 Jingus

Jingus
  • Members
  • 2583 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:20 AM

When that happened, I dropped the remote, stared at the tv for a few seconds... and then surrendered to the endless waves of maniacal, hyenical, Joker-like laughter that just never stopped. GOD that was entertaining. Somehow it seems less offensive when it's about Vince himself than when it was Katie Vick or Al Wilson or Paul Bearer or Tim White.

#11 anarchistxx

anarchistxx
  • Members
  • 1641 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:59 AM

Fuck me, people seem to be going OTT here. A good angle? Yes. The pinnacle of Pro-Wres? People won't remember this next year, when he's back on our screens. Lashley will have done it, and turn heel next week to feud with Cena.

#12 Al

Al

Because a wrestling avatar seemed appropriate

• Members
  • 2949 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:50 AM

I was at the show live. I hated the angle, but the rest of the show was awesome.

#13 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43648 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:05 AM

I'm pretty sure this is going to be remembered for years and years to come. I'd call it the new millenium version of "How much was the plastic surgery, brother?" actually.

#14 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43648 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:52 AM

I'm also wondering if maybe this is also part of some elaborate scheme to trick Bret Hart into doing a storyline. They're going to try to frame Bret as a suspect on TV now, and Bret is particular about the way he is viewed by his fans, so he'll feel like he has to make a one-time appearance on RAW to set the record straight or something.

#15 anarchistxx

anarchistxx
  • Members
  • 1641 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:34 AM

I'd call it the new millenium version of "How much was the plastic surgery, brother?"

Am I missing something here?

Anyway, perhaps it will be remembered for years to come, but it seems to me people are just on a big high with WWE now, and are tending to overhype everything. Just an outsiders view really, I haven't been watching the shows so I can't make a big comment on the quality.

#16 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43648 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:08 AM

I'd call it the new millenium version of "How much was the plastic surgery, brother?"

Am I missing something here?

Do you not know what that quote references?

#17 anarchistxx

anarchistxx
  • Members
  • 1641 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:10 AM

No, don't think I've ever even heard of it before.

#18 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43648 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:18 AM

Wow. Hogan/Andre on NBC when Hogan dropped the title after wearing it for 4 years. Probably the most famous angle of the 80s. Dave Hebner pretended to be Earl Hebner and counted the pinfall on Hogan even while he had his shoulder up. They portrayed it as if DiBiase found some random dude and gave him plastic surgery to look just like Earl Hebner. Andre wins the belt and immediately hands it to DiBiase. Hogan did a big infamous interview afterward, screaming "How much was the plastic surgery, brother?" and crying foul. I'm pretty sure it's the most watched wrestling match in the history of American wrestling. (Before anyone contradicts that, remember that most of the matches you hear about regularly are matches that aired on cable.)

#19 anarchistxx

anarchistxx
  • Members
  • 1641 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:25 AM

Right, thanks. I hated Wrestlemania 4, so I never did check out anything from 1988 in WWF. In fact, I've hardly watched any 80's WWF at all, never appealed to me.

#20 kjh

kjh
  • Members
  • 3122 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:32 AM

Minor correction - it was Earl Hebner who was pretending to be Dave Hebner, as Dave was the one who had been refereeing in the WWF at the time, while Earl had been refereeing for the NWA. Not long after Dave retired to become a road agent and Earl took over his refereeing job. I do wonder how Bret Hart justified to himself cutting that wrestling promo on Vince McMahon after years of saying he would never turn Montreal into a phony wrestling angle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users