Pro Wrestling Only

They just booked a death angle

Strummer

I find it completely offensive. The next time someone dies and do their tribute show I won't believe for a second that person is actually dead. And I feel like an idiot now for defending them from people when Owen Hart died on the grounds they would never sink low enough to work a death. Opps, guess I was wrong on that point. The other point that I find offensive is that the real death of Sherri Martel was completely glossed over because it conflicts with the fake death as someone on the Smart Wrestling Fan podcast said this week. And just in general, I don't watch wrestling for this shit and I knew from the start that this would go exactly in this direction. Also, why yet again are they making a storyline that can't end in the ring the focus of everything. But I'm not totally surprised as this is the natural progression of how they treated Eddie more like a character they wrote out of the show than a person who was actually dead.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is true. But I'm talking about how they buried mentioning her on Raw because her real death conflicts with the fake death. That's really the issue. I don't expect anything special but they usually start a show with those things. This time they didn't and tried to hide it in an awkward spot because again the real death conflicted with the storyline death. They almost certainly were in a meeting and this came up and this is how they decided to handle it.

One could argue the point that Sherri's death got more attention than Bad News, who didn't even merit an on screen graphic. Hell, having the announcers mention it rather than just having the graphic put it above any non Owen/Pillman/Eddy death.

Well, the WWE definitely has a "what have you done for me lately?" policy when it comes to deaths in wrestling. I think someone already mentioned that they never even acknowledged Crash's death. Part of the reason JR and Lawler talked about her (very briefly) might've been that they'd both known her for a long time. One could also make the argument that it was their version of very subtly burying the Vince angle, but that'd just be speculation.

Well, the WWE definitely has a "what have you done for me lately?" policy when it comes to deaths in wrestling. I think someone already mentioned that they never even acknowledged Crash's death. Part of the reason JR and Lawler talked about her (very briefly) might've been that they'd both known her for a long time. One could also make the argument that it was their version of very subtly burying the Vince angle, but that'd just be speculation.

I personally got the impression JR was subtlety burying the angle all night. I think the reasonable criteria is that it merits mention on the show itself if the wrestler is a current part of WWE programming. Any WWE Hall of Famer like Sherri certainly merits a graphic. I have no qualms with how they did the graphic itself. I don't think they're required to show the death of every single talent that passes in wrestling.

Crash's death was acknowledged eventually on the year-end shows.

Yeah, but they didn't say anything when he died, did they? Something about too many wrestlers having died recently, and they didn't wanna depress the fans or something? That's inexcusable.

I wouldn't care at all about this angle, in fact I'd find it pretty entertaining, if they just stuck to having it done tongue-in-cheek style like when Crymetyme tried to auction off Vince's last half-eaten meal. But when they force their announcers to all treat it as a shoot complete with Owen voices, when they do a fake 10-bell salute (especially annoying to me since I've done those myself, i.e., actually been the guy ringing the bell for someone who really died), that's when I ignore stuff like Benoit-Punk matches and Foley returning and just quit watching the show altogether.

Meltz in the WON:

This is far from the most disgusting angle WWE has ever done. But that doesn't make it a good angle and the idea that you can make a decent sized list of things sleazier in wrestling is probably the weakest defense imaginable for it

So I guess that means Dave or one of his minions lurks either here or at DVDVR?

Meltz in the WON:

This is far from the most disgusting angle WWE has ever done. But that doesn't make it a good angle and the idea that you can make a decent sized list of things sleazier in wrestling is probably the weakest defense imaginable for it

So I guess that means Dave or one of his minions lurks either here or at DVDVR?

I'm not sure how I missed that, but I did send him the list on Tuesday. The point (which was mentioned in the email) was to neutralize people's righteous indignation, though, not a defense of the angle (even if I think it's awesome).