• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#41 Bix

Bix
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 6288 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:04 PM

From USA Today in March '04:

Jerry McDevitt, the outside legal counsel for McMahon's wrestling organization, contends testing "just doesn't work" because wrestlers can fake urine tests or use designer steroids that are undetectable. "Anybody who wants to beat it can beat it. The only ones who are caught are stupid," he says.

#42 Jingus

Jingus
  • Members
  • 2583 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:19 PM

Translation: "We're damn sure that Benoit's toxicology will come back with an entire pharmacy inside him, so let's start covering our asses now." They can fake urine tests? Draw blood, then. And "designer steroids" that are truly undetectable are pretty damn rare and very damn expensive.

#43 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 10710 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:16 AM

Translation: "We're damn sure that Benoit's toxicology will come back with an entire pharmacy inside him, so let's start covering our asses now."

They can fake urine tests? Draw blood, then. And "designer steroids" that are truly undetectable are pretty damn rare and very damn expensive.

There currently isn't a test for growth hormone. That's a problem legit sports are running into now.

#44 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5808 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:49 AM

..so yes..in a sense hardcore fandom is responsible

In that case, what position is the fan supposed to take?

I don't see too many people refraining from downloading, distributing or pimping matches and it's only a matter of time before people start criticising workers in the same way as before. Will this seriously change the way people judge wrestling matches, considering the things that made Benoit a good wrestler played a part in all of this?

I mean, can a person justify criticising a wrestler or the way they work a match if working hard leads to your body breaking down and a safe style may still involve a risky lifestyle?

And if the business is rotten to the core or just fucked to begin with, what are we doing watching it?

#45 kjh

kjh
  • Members
  • 3122 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:46 AM

Seeing high-impact, athletic moves all the time eventually kills the importance of those high-impact moves, and more importantly it greatly increases the wear and tear on the wrestlers.

This point really ties back to Kevin's comments about how Benoit's wrestling style was ultimately a dead end and counterproductive. Benoit, aided and abetted by the equally crazy Kurt Angle, killed the importance of dangerous suplexes by overusing them in their matches as a short cut to popping the crowd. Instead of Benoit needing one German suplex to get a reaction, it became three and then three turned to six, seven, eight, nine or ten. I suppose their criticism of hardcore fandom is also valid, as at the time almost no-one derided the style for upping the ante too much and instead marvelled at the spectacle of it all. I'm starting to think that the so called Smackdown Six will become WWE's version of the Von Erichs.

#46 Bix

Bix
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 6288 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:46 AM

Translation: "We're damn sure that Benoit's toxicology will come back with an entire pharmacy inside him, so let's start covering our asses now."

They can fake urine tests? Draw blood, then. And "designer steroids" that are truly undetectable are pretty damn rare and very damn expensive.

March '04

#47 Jingus

Jingus
  • Members
  • 2583 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:36 AM

Oh. Whoops. Still sounds like an ass cover, though, "well we can't detect ALL drugs, so why even try?".

#48 Guest_teke184_*

Guest_teke184_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:28 AM

Oh. Whoops. Still sounds like an ass cover, though, "well we can't detect ALL drugs, so why even try?".

And when did Eddie Guerrero drop dead?

November 2005.

They pushed testing after that because they had a collective "Oh, shit..." moment and wanted to prevent another.

IMHO, they averted at least one major "Oh, shit..." moment by firing Kurt Angle.

As high-profile as the Benoit thing is due to the severity of the crime, *any* Angle issues would have been in the same ballpark due to his high-profile status as a legit Olympic gold medalist and the biggest "real" athlete in the business.

#49 Guest_KCook_*

Guest_KCook_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:01 AM

Benoit has turned into a cartoon villain. http://www.thesmokin...071benoit1.html

He was already known by the DEA because of the amount of steroids he was taking. Think about that for a second. That's like being known by the DEA for the amount of pot you smoke. The feds don't care about users.

You have to love the headline, too:

DEA Knew Of Benoit's Excessive Steroid Buys
Killer wrestler bought 10-month anabolic supply every few weeks

#50 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43647 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:10 AM

I have updated this now with current information and corrected things that have been debunked in the media, like Daniel's Fragile X Syndrome. I think I waited too long to re-up my WON and I'm not going to get the first issue from this week. The main part of this that I see that affecting is the section on Benoit's personal character. If anyone has any additional information that they think I should add to that part, please let me know. After that, barring any future twists in this story, I think Phil can feel free to post this at Segunda Caida.

#51 Bix

Bix
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 6288 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:15 AM

Might be worth adding the stuff about how Johnny Grunge repeatedly diffused domestic disputes between Chris and Nancy, and his death got rid of the buffer that kept Benoit from completely snapping.

#52 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43647 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:17 AM

Already there. :)

#53 Jingus

Jingus
  • Members
  • 2583 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:04 PM

I have updated this now with current information and corrected things that have been debunked in the media, like Daniel's Fragile X Syndrome.

I dunno if that's officially debunked yet, there's still a lot of people arguing both sides of it (and not in a stupid way like the Wikipedia thing).

#54 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43647 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:14 PM

The sheriff's department and the DA's office have investigated Daniel's medical records and said it wasn't true. His teacher also confirmed he was right on schedule with his classmates. I'd say that's a pretty good debunking. I think it's a peculiar rumor to be spread in the first place, and it makes me wonder if WWE planted it in the media to divert attention elsewhere. I have nothing to support that, but it sure sounds likely.

#55 Guest_teke184_*

Guest_teke184_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:27 PM

The sheriff's department and the DA's office have investigated Daniel's medical records and said it wasn't true. His teacher also confirmed he was right on schedule with his classmates.

I'd say that's a pretty good debunking.

I think it's a peculiar rumor to be spread in the first place, and it makes me wonder if WWE planted it in the media to divert attention elsewhere.

I have nothing to support that, but it sure sounds likely.

It depends on a number of things.

1. Didn't that woman in Canada originally break the story, claiming that she'd met Benoit through a support group for Fragile X children?

2. Didn't Dr. Levin also claim that Daniel had Fragile X?

3. Did Jerry McDevitt say they had proof Daniel had Fragile X, or just that they'd been told by someone (possibly Benoit) that he had Fragile X?

Maybe it was a case of Munchausen-By-Proxy? (parents faking a child's illness, or inflicting the illness on them, for their own reasons)

If so, then Benoit could have been using a phony diagnosis of Fragile X to get hormones for Daniel, then using them to inject himself.

#56 Jingus

Jingus
  • Members
  • 2583 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:46 PM

But he WAS injecting Daniel, the police found the needle marks on him. And hell, if you've seen the pictures and/or video, Daniel didn't look like a normal kid. He was seven years old and still in kindergarten, that's not average.

#57 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43647 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:01 PM

From WOL recap:

Meltzer says the Wikipedia and needle-marks stories blew-up even though they were both non-stories.

Did he throw out this story at some point as well, only for me to miss it? Maybe in the WON?

#58 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43647 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:05 PM

TomK at DVDVR and I must have had our heads in the same place at the same time.

He just posted something with a link that shows that the Canadian woman was not the original source of the Fragile X story. It was Jerry McDevitt, according to Newsweek.

http://www.msnbc.msn.../site/newsweek/

One theory put forth by World Wrestling Entertainment officials: that Daniel himself was a source of turmoil for Benoit. According to a WWE lawyer, Jerry McDevitt, Daniel suffered from Fragile X syndrome. A genetic condition, Fragile X is the most common cause of inherited mental impairment and can produce a range of cognitive and intellectual disabilities. McDevitt says that based on WWE’s own inquiries, Benoit and his wife were arguing about Daniel’s care in the days before the tragedy. The boy had completed kindergarten at First Baptist Church in Peachtree City (where the pastor says Daniel “was loved by his teachers”), and the couple were now looking for an elementary school, according to McDevitt. “It was the issue of Daniel’s special needs that was the long-running problem with [Benoit] and Nancy,” says the lawyer, who adds that the family had been in the Fayetteville house for only a year. “The tensions were exacerbated now that they were in a new home, in a new community. They didn’t know where to go for his special education needs. It was building up.” According to WWE, the couple consulted with their family physician about Daniel’s condition last Thursday and Friday, on the eve of the killings. Did the stress of that discussion play a role in Benoit coming unhinged?

SPIN.

#59 Guest_teke184_*

Guest_teke184_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:14 PM

The timeline doesn't track...

That article comes from June 29. The original information from the Canadian woman came on June 26.

http://www.news1130....626_212836_4500

It's certainly possible that it was known within the WWE offices before then, but I don't think that McDevitt made Daniel Benoit's condition public until the 27th.

To be even more clear about it, I don't think the WWE made up the rumor, but it's certainly possible that they ran with it as misdirection to mask Benoit's other problems.

#60 Guest_KCook_*

Guest_KCook_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:17 PM

He was seven years old and still in kindergarten, that's not average.

That's not all that unusual, especially if he was a small kid. He was born in February, which means he turned 7 halfway through the last school year and was on track to be in first grade at 7 this fall. He would have been one of the older kids in his class, but a lot of people hold their kids out of kindergarten a year these days, whether because they're small or because they think that being older will give their kids academic advantages. If the teachers say he was a more or less normal kid there's absolutely no reason not to take them at their word.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users