Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread

Loss

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Two promotions at the same time. Does Mick Foley in 1994 (WCW, ECW) count?

The promotions were engaged in a talent-sharing deal at the time. I believe Arn Anderson and Bobby Eaton did spot shows in ECW as well.

Why is the WWE crew so awful at that low camera shot of Viscera/Khali/etc's entrance? It doesn't make them look taller, it makes it look like they're trying to make them look taller.

Yeah, I hate the "world's shortest dolly" shots, always look terribly contrived. Remember during the New Blood vs. Millionaires feud, when some guy got out of a limo at the end of that one legendary Thunder in Memphis, and apparently the cameraman was a weak-armed midget with arthritis, because he dragged it along the ground only showing the man's feet so that the audience wouldn't know it was Randy Savage?

You gotta be subtle about psychological camera tricks like that. Instead of bending all the way down to the ground to shoot the giants, just stuff the camera under your armpit instead of over your shoulder. It's just about a foot's difference in height, but it changes the angle enough to make the Khalis of the world look even bigger while not doing it so blatantly that it comes off as obvious pandering to the viewers.

For those who watch Adult Swim, the commercial bumps during "Action" shows contain one that's a picture of a building with "TBS" on it. That's the Techwood Drive studios of WCW Saturday Night fame, located across the street (or a few freeways) from the Adult Swim studios on Williams Street.

One year ago...

"Hey Vince, should we elevate anyone to make new stars?"

"Are you fucking kidding me? We've got Triple H, Shawn Michaels, the Undertaker, Edge, Bobby Lashley, Rey Misterio, RVD, Sabu, Test, Bob Holly, Joey Mercury, Jeff Hardy, and Chris Benoit! We don't need any new stars. And you're fired for asking!"

Now...

"If only we could've done something to prevent this! Hey, you, shred those Aegis documents faster..."

You know, considering how funny WWE gets when it comes to editing stuff on 24/7 that could be construed as "uncomfortable", during the Bossman/Akeem/Andre vs Demolition/Duggan match they zoom in on a sign at ringside saying "DEMOLITION WILL BRING DOWN THE TWIN TOWERS" with a drawing of what looks like the WTC.

Also, it was hilarious to see Andre come out to "Jive Soul Bro" for this match.

From an HHH thread at WC:

Not to mention his resentment of Foley, to the point of burying him badly to all concerned, largely because many fans see Foley as having helped make him and blaming Foley for people saying that.

There was an old episode of "Tales from the Darkside" from 1984 on Sci Fi today. There was a character (unseen, only mentioned in dialogue) that was a computer salesman. The name of the character?... "Dave Meltzer". I'm not making that up. The name was said 3 times and it was clearly "Dave Meltzer".

The writer of the episode must have been a subscriber.

I'm not making this up!

Your new WWC Universal Champion: "Razor Ramon" Scott Hall. He's actually being billed as that. Doesn't US copyright law extend to PR or is that one of those things that don't apply like having representative in Congress?

*edit* here's a photo:

Posted Image

He actually looks to be in better shape than the last time I saw a photo of him looking like Fat Elvis. However shaving the stubble off his face makes him look 10+ years older.

Well, if his stubble is naturally like the rest of his hair, then he shaved it because he didn't want his cheeks to shine like silver.

As to your question, yes, PR is very much in-bounds for US copywright. Remember when the WWF legal team nixed that tag-team that one company had (in fact, I think it was WWC) that had two guys in Kane outfits except they were blue instead of red?

It's interesting they'd bill him as Razor Ramon (although he wrestles in his nWo Wolfpac era gear) since you'd think WWE would be well aware of it. He even wrestled Carlito at the Anniversary show. I guess Vince must have a real affinity for daddy Carlos.

Well, if his stubble is naturally like the rest of his hair, then he shaved it because he didn't want his cheeks to shine like silver.

As to your question, yes, PR is very much in-bounds for US copywright. Remember when the WWF legal team nixed that tag-team that one company had (in fact, I think it was WWC) that had two guys in Kane outfits except they were blue instead of red?

Thunder and Lightning is the name. They are still around and I beileve are still in the Kane gear.

WWE has a good partnership with WWC. Carlito wrestles down there every couple of months. Hall retained the title last night by beating Eddie Colon.

Man, I haven't read Rick Scaia in years but you know things are getting bad when *he's* killing the WWE like Herb Kunze used to in the early/mid 90s.

I couldn't believe this was the same person who would defend Vince Russo's booking every week from 97-99.