Pro Wrestling Only

The Jim Ross Is A Grouchy Hateful Vile Human Being thread

Loss

You'd be hard-pressed to find someone who didn't hate Haystacks Calhoun.

Explain, please.

Any book from an ex-wrestler I've read not only speaks ill of Haystacks, but strongly against him. Both Fred Blassie and Bobby Heenan were far from complementary in their autobiographies.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not consider Chris Jericho’s title reign as undisputed champ a disappointment whatsoever. Chris has never done anything to disappoint me in the ring and is one of the classiest individuals I have ever worked with in wrestling. Those that may unwisely think that Chris’ run as undisputed champ was less than it should have been need counseling.

I do not consider Chris Jericho’s title reign as undisputed champ a disappointment whatsoever. Chris has never done anything to disappoint me in the ring and is one of the classiest individuals I have ever worked with in wrestling. Those that may unwisely think that Chris’ run as undisputed champ was less than it should have been need counseling.

So does that mean WWE is going to send a form letter out offering counseling to anyone who watched during Jericho's run as champ?

You certainly would've needed to have been shooting up some hardcore shit to have possibly enjoyed the buildup to his match with Hunter. "Oh noes, I axidentally runs over his dog!"

Not to mention cheating to squeak out a win against an extremely green Maven, who couldn't defeat anybody in the WWE at that point.

Jericho's undisputed title reign was one of the worst championship runs ever. It was booked so, so awful.

You certainly would've needed to have been shooting up some hardcore shit to have possibly enjoyed the buildup to his match with Hunter. "Oh noes, I axidentally runs over his dog!"

Not to mention cheating to squeak out a win against an extremely green Maven, who couldn't defeat anybody in the WWE at that point.

Jericho's undisputed title reign was one of the worst championship runs ever. It was booked so, so awful.

The first month or so wasn't THAT bad. I mean, watch the Royal Rumble match with The Rock. I thought he came out of that looking like a great heel champ is supposed to look. He was also booked strong when he won the belts at Armageddon. The problems started at No Way Out, where he was booked as an afterthought to the nWo against Steve Austin, and then heading into Mania, where he was definitely at least the #3 guy in his feud with HHH (and possibly #4 behind HHH's dog). But credit where credit is due, the first month or so of his reign was done really well.

• 1 month later...

http://www.jrsbarbq.com/2007/11/30/some-fa...em-up%e2%80%9d/

Some Fans Want “Passionless” J.R. To “Hang ‘Em Up”..

Filed under: Personal, Wrestling — on November 30, 2007

We received three particularly interesting comments over the past few days that our webmaster decided not to include here, which was his call that I don’t disagree with, but that I would like to address.

The first one was from Spyros who posted a comment at 4:13 a.m. on November 24 who said, “As a long time WWE fan I feel compelled to say that your commentating is not as good nowadays as before.I believe you have lost your passion.” Spyros was also disappointed in my reaction to Jericho’s return.

Mike wrote, “What is wrong with you? Lately you have become a company stooge. This site used to be fine where you told things as you saw.”

And finally, Brian wrote “Are you getting too old to color the matches? You completely let out that the olympic runner was going to get laid out before it happened. Maybe time to hand up the boots/mic?”

No issues here with any one expressing their opinion of my work or our site. I have had much worse said about my broadcast skills, or lack thereof, and our website is still a work in progress that will continue to get better and better.

I can assure Spyros that I have not lost my passion for the business. I also believe that one’s passion must also match the moment and some moments are not passion worthy….”the new phone books are here…the new phone books are here”. I would like to believe that when the time is right that the appropriate “passion” is demonstrated by yours truly. The other option is that I could yell and scream for two hours which is akin to crying wolf and then people start to mentally tune one out. So Spyros, I appreciate your opinion but losing my passion is not an issue I promise you. I will screw up from time to time but it won’t be because of a lack of effort or “passion”.

Mike says that I am a company “stooge”. Mike, is that as in “Shemp” or are you flaunting your “insider knowledge” by calling yours truly a stooge? Perhaps one should use some common sense in this instance. I feel I have been honest on the issues I have addressed here, but there are some issues I do not choose to address. That is my choice Mike. Just as it is your choice to visit this site or not. For example, I do not feel the need to continue to discuss the disgusting Benoit tragedy in depth. I do not feel compelled to damn all the WWE creative even though there are, at times, elements of creative that are personally not my cup of tea. Mike, if you want a web site to damn the WWE essentially from start to finish then there are many alternatives for you to explore. I will continue to express my feelings as I see fit on this site and if you feel turned off by me being an alleged “stooge”, as you described, then simply don’t visit us. We hate to lose you but one should not engage in any thing that is of a personal choice, such as this, that one doesn’t enjoy.

Brian-I am not sure what me “coloring” the matches actually means nor am I aware of the Olympic Runner issue you described as I recall not saying anything of significance when the runner entered the arena. Nonetheless, I don’t feel as if I am “too old” to handle the job but your opinion is what it is and I respect it. I do make mistakes, just as most humans do and I even called Jeff Hardy’s “Whisper in the Wind” a “Twist of Fate” not once but twice in the past two weeks. That is a mental block on my part and I need to better concentrate on that specific matter whenever Jeff wrestles. Is is grounds for dismissal or retirement? Hopefully not.

What I do as announcer on Monday night is not easy. Our show is totally live and we work without a net and sometimes I make mistakes. I often times have said things that I wish I could retrieve and start over but that’s not how it works. Plus, the company establishes the direction that they want the commentary to travel which means we are not in “business for ourselves” which becomes another subjective matter one could argue.

The same writer who brought up the Jeff Hardy mistakes I made loved the “drama” of the Flair-Orton match on Raw from Charlotte but neglected to mention that the commentary just may have added to the “drama” of the moment. If one doesn’t believe that to be true, then watch the match again with the sound muted. If broadcasters are doing their jobs then their efforts should enhance a match. There have been matches over the years that I have witnessed that even a great call wouldn’t salvage. I am also sure that there were some good matches that one could have made great with a different approach or a different slant on the story being told. I am sure I am guilty of both.

An argument could be made that perhaps the broadcast efforts of the team of “J.R. and The King” are simply taken for granted by some people. After all these years of sitting at ringside and doing our best to entertain the fans and viewers perhaps our efforts are simply an after thought by some. If so, then so be it. It will not adversely affect our show prep or our efforts to do our very best each and every Monday night for as long as the current Raw broadcast team is still together which I hope is for years to come. As I have said many times, when I think I can’t get it done any more I will want to get out of the biz and get out quickly. I won’t let the door hit me in the ass on the way out! The legacy that I have attempted to establish over the past 30+ years is extremely important to me. I don’t want to be remembered as a guy who “used to be a pretty good announcer.”

The WWE has 4 strong broadcast teams and each brings something unique and exclusive to the table. However, I will put the work of the Raw broadcast team up against any of the other teams in the WWE or any where else for that matter. That is not a statement made out of disrespect but simply a confident, matter of fact.

However, at the end of the day the fans have the final say on what they like or they don’t like. Even though I don’t personally agree with Spyros, Mike, or Brian, I have acknowledged their opinions and the fact that they are fans of wrestling….just like me.

J.R.

• 1 month later...

So looking for pics of Buck Robley found this from Jrs bbq gallery with caption:

Posted Image

Buck Robley was one of the brightest minds ever in wrestling. Buck had great natural instincts and was an integral part of one of the more successful periods in Cowboy Bill Watts’ Mid South Wrestling territory. If today’s generation of young wrestlers had Buck’s in-ring psychology many of these youngsters would find themselves making big money wrestling in main events at major events.

Also JR comments on the Mitchell report on drugs in baseball.

I love how JR somehow can be both a crusty old Okie who appreciates criticism and loves people expressing their opinions, while also becoming extremely thin-skinned and passive aggressive whenever anyone not in TEH BIZ~! questions his abilities or uses insider lingo. I mean come on, it's 2008. I think it's time to stop with the outrage whenever someone uses wrestling-speak on the internet.

http://www.wrestlingobserver.com/wo/news/h...t.asp?aID=21794

Chris Cruise questions Jim Ross regarding comment about Congress looking at wrestling

Here is part of what Jim Ross wrote briefly in his blog regarding pro wrestling, Congress, and steroids, followed by my response to him:

"I understand Congress getting involved with (this) issue, but it is hard for any American citizen to debate the fact that Congress doesn’t have more pressing issues on their plate than this issue. Hopefully Congress can expedite these hearings and develop a plan to solve the problem..."

Jim:

So you think Congress has more important things to do than investigate steroids in sports, particularly in professional wrestling?

I cover Congress on a freelance basis for mortgage trade publications, and write and anchor for Voice of America.

You can make the case that almost every subject Congress deals with is something it should leave to others.

I realize it is the company line to say Congress shouldn’t waste its time on this issue, but what is more important than the health of young people - young people who are more heavily-influenced by nearly-naked roided-up pro wrestlers than by roided-up athletes in team sports who wear uniforms that cover most of their bodies?

I have spent some time with the investigators at the Waxman Committee and I continue to encourage them to look into the abuse of steroids in pro wrestling.

If you care at all about the health of boys and young men in this country, and want to work to keep them from using steroids, you will encourage Congress to investigate pro wrestling (or you will at least remain silent on the issue), because surely WWE is incapable of keeping steroids out of pro wrestling. A brief viewing of any WWE TV shows is proof of that.

Yes, Congress does have many more pressing issues than steroids in pro wrestling, but Congress ALWAYS has pressing issues. It is not a zero-sum game here, Jim. Congress has many committees and subcommittees and thousands of staffers. It has the capacity to investigate pro wrestling without hurting its efforts in other areas.

If you oppose Congressional involvement in this issue please try to come up with another, more-original reason.

You said you hope Congress can develop a plan to solve the problem. I’m glad you admit that there is a problem, and pleased that you acknowledge that the players in the various games cannot come up with a solution on their own.

Its sad that your employer won’t do this on his own. Then Congress could get to those more-pressing issues to which you alluded. Vince McMahon could save a lot of taxpayer time and money if he would just do the right thing, but I’m certainly not holding my breath on that one.

I look forward to your reply.

Christopher Cruise

http://www.jrsbarbq.com/2008/01/10/jr-%E2%...eally-for-what/

J.R. “Called Out”.. Really?.. For What?

Filed under: Wrestling — on January 10, 2008

My former colleague at WCW and an individual I personally like, Chris Cruise, according to some wrestling websites, has “called me out,” or at least that is the term some sites have used, about my comments regarding the United States Congress investigating steroid, HGH, etc abuse in professional wrestling.

In a recent blog, I made a comment that I personally thought that Congress had better things to do than focus on this matter but did not infer that Congress should cease their investigation. I was thinking of other issues such as our national security, the war we are currently fighting, the economy, health care, education and perhaps even balancing the budget. Nonetheless, Chris makes a valid point about the endless subcommittees that are available to work on matters such as steroids in pro wrestling, all the while the other work that I just outlined still gets addressed. Point well made and well taken.

I have also said in our blogs that I am for ZERO TOLERANCE, as it relates to the illegal use of anabolic steroids and HGH by wrestlers. I have said that many times, as many of you know, who read this space regularly. Even in my latest blog, I mentioned that athletes should simply “not use the damn stuff” but in most reports over the past 24 hours that point was conveniently omitted. I even said that I hoped that Congress would be able to put its arms around this matter and take the necessary steps to solve the problem, but that was even taken to task for what ever reason.

For Chris or any one to infer that I might not care about the health and welfare of today’s wrestlers and the young people who idolize these individuals is simply not an accurate assessment of my feelings and, quite frankly, is somewhat offensive.

I am not a “body guy” and never have been when it comes to my personal taste in wrestlers. My all time favorite wrestlers were not of the “body builder” mold. I would never encourage any athlete in any field of endeavor to use steroids or any other dangerous drug to improve their “look” or enhance their performance. These substances have no place in wrestling or any form of athletic endeavor.

How clear is that?

This response is not meant to “call anyone out” nor am I angry to have my opinion questioned because Lord knows I have been wrong many times in my life, but I have always had the courage to admit such. This response is to clarify my personal opinion of the situation called into question. I cannot and should not be held accountable for any other entity but my own, personal view on this subject. If Congress can help solve the problem, then I salute Congress for getting something done. This step would go miles in changing many American’s opinion of our lawmakers in Washington D.C. not to mention making the business that I love and have devoted 35 years of my life to in becoming a better place for all involved who are in it today and for the generations to come.

Thanks and have a great day.

I wonder if Youtube has the clip from Beyond the Mat where Ross is telling Jones to get on the juice.

"Now hold on there a cotton picking minute, jdw. I never told that young man to take steriods, by god!"

-jdw

Fuck you, Jim. You spoke in wrestling code that everyone in the business knows (and tons of fans know) that Jones needed to work on his body, especially a certain part.

Jim probably has done as much to encourage wrestlers to get on the juice as anyone this side of Vince McMahon.

John

Please. Tony Jones DID lack any kind of muscular definition in his upper body. You don't need to look cut, but you do need to look credible out there. I have Beyond the Mat. I've seen that clip. You're really making a jump in making that statement, and you're drawing the conclusion YOU want. And if that's the BEST piece of evidence you have on Jim Ross, that's not very strong.

People really need to get off their moral high horse on the steroid/HGH issue. It's taken over professional sports. I want them gone, I think everyone does. But realistically, it's not happening. And if MLB, NFL, etc. can't stop it, what the hell is wrestling going to do?

We're not talking about other sports. We're talking about wrestling. What does that have to do with wrestling, and how wrestling can eliminate wrestling's problems?

And honestly, don't talk about credibility on a show where Hornswaggle is the illegitimate son of Vince McMahon, in a business where guys like Jerry Lawler, Ricky Morton and Rey Misterio have been successful headliners, and in a company that goes out of its way to admit it's fake at any opportunity possible, just to weasel out of finding real solutions to problems like this.

Credibility stopped mattering in wrestling a long, long time ago, if in fact it ever did. This is a business where Hulk Hogan once saw a vision of the Ultimate Warrior in the mirror, where the Undertaker resurrected from the dead in front of a paying audience, where the Ultimate Warrior once had ooze come out of his head during a promo, where the Hurricane lived a double life as a superhero and reporter, where people are brothers and then suddenly aren't, where entrance music happens to accompany run-ins, where cameras happen to be present at restaurants and backstage without wrestlers knowing they're even there and where the only thing that gets dropped more than dead bodies is storylines mid-stream.

Credibility is a dead issue in wrestling. JR was encouraging him to take steroids so he would be more marketable. That's really all there was to it.

Credibility is a dead issue in wrestling. JR was encouraging him to take steroids so he would be more marketable. That's really all there was to it.

I'm saying, you really have to make a jump to get steroids out of that statement. Ross said in the same sentence, "get something that's a little more flattering for you." Did he mean OMG steroids then too! Or was he just referring to his outfit? Must have been steroids.

It's honestly tiresome at times to hear people moralize about the wrestling industry when they've never been involved in it.

When I refer to other sports, I'm referring specifically to eliminating steroid use. It's something no organization has done successfully.

"Work on your upper-body development" is still wrestling business code for "get on the gas."

It's possible that the intention of the "get something more flattering" comment was that if he didn't want to use steroids, to develop a gimmick that would allow him to wear a shirt.

I'm saying, you really have to make a jump to get steroids out of that statement. Ross said in the same sentence, "get something that's a little more flattering for you." Did he mean OMG steroids then too! Or was he just referring to his outfit? Must have been steroids.

It's honestly tiresome at times to hear people moralize about the wrestling industry when they've never been involved in it.

When I refer to other sports, I'm referring specifically to eliminating steroid use. It's something no organization has done successfully.

I'm starting to forget this segment from the Bret Hart documentary so my memory's a little foggy here. I do remember in detail thinking to myself and than telling my brother "He just told him to go on steroids". No, of course he didn't literally tell him that but people who truly know what they're talking about when it comes to this stuff will tell you this. Trust me. he's pretty much telling him. If I remember correctly, he tells him to put on x amount of muscle. No easy task.

I tend to not like criticizing people. Now, Ross might not know any better. It's possible "he might not even know himself" (a lot of people wouldn't if they told someone the exact same thing) that he was telling him to go get some help. He might be thinking "Work hard boy and it'll come. Only the strong willed can survive here in the WWF". However, you would think he should know better though he might not be a expert in these matters.

I saw the movie in a theatre, and I remember thinking the exact same thing... go get juiced. It was a scene that actually stood out to me on first viewing.

I think everybody did. Well I gave Jim Ross the benefit of the doubt and thought he was just laying out the truth to Jones that he had to get bigger, but not saying he HAD to get roided up. But how would he get bigger? Well that's up to Jones to figure that one out..

Posted Image

You don't need to look cut, but you do need to look credible out there.

People really need to get off their moral high horse on the steroid/HGH issue.

I'm saying, you really have to make a jump to get steroids out of that statement.

Could you tell us that these are grown men free to make their own decisions, next? I'm so close to getting "Wrestling Death Apologist Bingo" here.

I can honestly say I've really tried to make an effort lately to not get into these discussions, because they tend to be repetitive. I think we've even had the discussion about Tony Jones, Jim Ross and steroids before. But I have to refer back to this quote in the June 30 Associated Press article.

"Somebody says you need to put 25 pounds on your upper body. Well, if you have an athletic background and have been around sports for a while, you know there's only one way to do that. Nobody needs to tell you. It's just a tacit understanding."

-- "The Professor" Larry Brisco

I have no idea who Larry Brisco even is, but it's a quote from someone who is part of the wrestling business (albeit on the fringes) saying the same things.

No one in WWE would ever tell anyone to get on steroids. No one would even strongly suggest it, and that's because they don't have to.

If a football coach tells his star quarterback that before the next game, he wants him to go on a date, he means "have sex", but he doesn't have to say it because it's just an understanding. It happens all the time. This is the same thing.

I'm curious what language you think would be required from Jim Ross to make it pretty clear cut. Do you think the only way you can point out that he was telling Tony Jones to get on the juice is if he says, "Here are some steroids and some syringes. Stick a needle up your ass and bulk up. Take lots of steroids and we'll hire you. Stay small and we won't."?

I'm honestly over talking about this stuff too. If you feel the same way, pick up the Mid South DVDs and post more about those and less about this.