• This topic is locked This topic is locked
847 replies to this topic

#41 Al

Al

Because a wrestling avatar seemed appropriate

• Members
  • 2932 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:18 PM

Credibility is a dead issue in wrestling. JR was encouraging him to take steroids so he would be more marketable. That's really all there was to it.

I'm saying, you really have to make a jump to get steroids out of that statement. Ross said in the same sentence, "get something that's a little more flattering for you." Did he mean OMG steroids then too! Or was he just referring to his outfit? Must have been steroids.

It's honestly tiresome at times to hear people moralize about the wrestling industry when they've never been involved in it.

When I refer to other sports, I'm referring specifically to eliminating steroid use. It's something no organization has done successfully.

#42 Bix

Bix
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 6253 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:31 PM

"Work on your upper-body development" is still wrestling business code for "get on the gas." It's possible that the intention of the "get something more flattering" comment was that if he didn't want to use steroids, to develop a gimmick that would allow him to wear a shirt.

#43 Resident Evil

Resident Evil
  • Resident Evil
  • 1159 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:54 PM

Credibility is a dead issue in wrestling. JR was encouraging him to take steroids so he would be more marketable. That's really all there was to it.

I'm saying, you really have to make a jump to get steroids out of that statement. Ross said in the same sentence, "get something that's a little more flattering for you." Did he mean OMG steroids then too! Or was he just referring to his outfit? Must have been steroids.

It's honestly tiresome at times to hear people moralize about the wrestling industry when they've never been involved in it.

When I refer to other sports, I'm referring specifically to eliminating steroid use. It's something no organization has done successfully.

I'm starting to forget this segment from the Bret Hart documentary so my memory's a little foggy here. I do remember in detail thinking to myself and than telling my brother "He just told him to go on steroids". No, of course he didn't literally tell him that but people who truly know what they're talking about when it comes to this stuff will tell you this. Trust me. he's pretty much telling him. If I remember correctly, he tells him to put on x amount of muscle. No easy task.

I tend to not like criticizing people. Now, Ross might not know any better. It's possible "he might not even know himself" (a lot of people wouldn't if they told someone the exact same thing) that he was telling him to go get some help. He might be thinking "Work hard boy and it'll come. Only the strong willed can survive here in the WWF". However, you would think he should know better though he might not be a expert in these matters.

#44 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18952 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:52 PM

I saw the movie in a theatre, and I remember thinking the exact same thing... go get juiced. It was a scene that actually stood out to me on first viewing.

#45 floyd

floyd
  • Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:26 PM

I saw the movie in a theatre, and I remember thinking the exact same thing... go get juiced. It was a scene that actually stood out to me on first viewing.

I think everybody did. Well I gave Jim Ross the benefit of the doubt and thought he was just laying out the truth to Jones that he had to get bigger, but not saying he HAD to get roided up. But how would he get bigger? Well that's up to Jones to figure that one out..

Posted Image

#46 S.L.L.

S.L.L.

Grapz Opinionz 4 Y00z From J00z

• DVDVR 80s Project
  • 2217 posts
  • Interests:The Good and The Beautiful

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:07 PM

You don't need to look cut, but you do need to look credible out there.

People really need to get off their moral high horse on the steroid/HGH issue.

I'm saying, you really have to make a jump to get steroids out of that statement.

Could you tell us that these are grown men free to make their own decisions, next? I'm so close to getting "Wrestling Death Apologist Bingo" here.

#47 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43472 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:43 PM

I can honestly say I've really tried to make an effort lately to not get into these discussions, because they tend to be repetitive. I think we've even had the discussion about Tony Jones, Jim Ross and steroids before. But I have to refer back to this quote in the June 30 Associated Press article.

"Somebody says you need to put 25 pounds on your upper body. Well, if you have an athletic background and have been around sports for a while, you know there's only one way to do that. Nobody needs to tell you. It's just a tacit understanding."

-- "The Professor" Larry Brisco

I have no idea who Larry Brisco even is, but it's a quote from someone who is part of the wrestling business (albeit on the fringes) saying the same things.

No one in WWE would ever tell anyone to get on steroids. No one would even strongly suggest it, and that's because they don't have to.

If a football coach tells his star quarterback that before the next game, he wants him to go on a date, he means "have sex", but he doesn't have to say it because it's just an understanding. It happens all the time. This is the same thing.

I'm curious what language you think would be required from Jim Ross to make it pretty clear cut. Do you think the only way you can point out that he was telling Tony Jones to get on the juice is if he says, "Here are some steroids and some syringes. Stick a needle up your ass and bulk up. Take lots of steroids and we'll hire you. Stay small and we won't."?

I'm honestly over talking about this stuff too. If you feel the same way, pick up the Mid South DVDs and post more about those and less about this.

#48 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5724 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:07 AM

I dunno what people expect from a guy who's been in the business as long as Ross. Listen to him salivate over Luger or Doom and the Steiners. The guy's always been a mark for "upper bodies" and football careers, until those bodies went to the opposition... then there was no money in body building.

#49 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18952 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 04:08 PM

I'm honestly over talking about this stuff too. If you feel the same way, pick up the Mid South DVDs and post more about those and less about this.

AMEN :)

#50 tomk

tomk
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 1365 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 04:19 PM

My birthday was back in last October but I will gladly accept a Wrestling Death Apologist Bingo Card as a late birthday gift.

#51 S.L.L.

S.L.L.

• DVDVR 80s Project
  • 2217 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:20 PM

My birthday was back in last October but I will gladly accept a Wrestling Death Apologist Bingo Card as a late birthday gift.

Posted Image

#52 tomk

tomk
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 1365 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:29 PM

Dissapointed that no square for its the "recreational drugs and alcohol." and lack of variations on "personal choice"but thanks this will be handy.

#53 S.L.L.

S.L.L.

• DVDVR 80s Project
  • 2217 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:35 PM

Dissapointed that no square for its the "recreational drugs and alcohol." and lack of variations on "personal choice"but thanks this will be handy.

No prob. I felt like variations on personal choice would be too redundant. Final square came down to "it's the recreational drugs" or "Mysterio can't be on steroids because he's short", and the Mysterio one seems to be both more common and more laughable, so I went with that.

#54 tomk

tomk
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 1365 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:59 PM

Yeah the Mysterio one is funny. I also like the Lance Storm: "Vince didn't force people to do drugs, but Road Warrior Animal and Marc Mero forced people to do drugs" and all the variations on that.

#55 S.L.L.

S.L.L.

• DVDVR 80s Project
  • 2217 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:17 PM

Yeah the Mysterio one is funny.

I also like the Lance Storm: "Vince didn't force people to do drugs, but Road Warrior Animal and Marc Mero forced people to do drugs" and all the variations on that.

Yeah, that was a good one. Then there were all the Benoit-specific ones I left out. "He probably just snapped", "Maybe he accidentally tied up Nancy and strangled her to death", "He never did anything bad before, and at least he killed himself after the first time, as opposed to Randy Orton....", and so on.

#56 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5724 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:23 PM

Cute. How about Mid-South Project Apologist B-I-N-G-O?

#57 Bix

Bix
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 6253 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:29 PM

Cute.

How about Mid-South Project Apologist B-I-N-G-O?

...................................................?

I've got nothing.

I mean seriously, what? I get the feeling you're trying to troll someone in relation to the Mid-South deal but I have no idea what about and why Wrestling Death Apologist Bingo led to that.

#58 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5724 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:37 PM

I think the Mid-South project is great, but the whole "you can still like something and criticise it" thing is BS. Not in the sense that people should ignore the sleazy/shitty/fatal aspects of the business, but in their attitude towards it.

#59 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 10424 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:38 PM

I would think that if someone didn't like a thing, they wouldn't waste their time criticizing it. That may just be my take on it. Back to JR, I just love how he reverts to the whole "aw shucks" routine when someone calls him on his hypocritical BS. Along that same note, it's hilarious to suggest someone who's been around wrestling for 20+ years would not know how to "wink wink" suggest to someone that they need some chemical enhancement. Pretty much every company that exists has some sort of "code" that conveys the message that you can't just come out and say.

#60 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43472 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:43 PM

I think the Mid-South project is great, but the whole "you can still like something and criticise it" thing is BS. Not in the sense that people should ignore the sleazy/shitty/fatal aspects of the business, but in their attitude towards it.

There's no contradiction. You can acknowledge that wrestling can be great entertainment and also acknowledge that going on a concussed and/or drug-induced rampage and killing your children is wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users