Pro Wrestling Only

The Jim Ross Is A Grouchy Hateful Vile Human Being thread

Loss

He claims that during the period he managed The Truth Commission they wanted him to have an army style buzzcut, and during the very brief period that he managed the Acolytes, they asked him to get a Mohawk. Not sure what the third time was.

I thought it'd be funny if this was a Burns/Mattingly-type situation but that's much more funny to me for some reason.

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having watched all of both nights, I think it should be mentioned that one of the main issues with the commentary is that both JR and Barnett seem to be doing play-by-play.

When Barnett was with Ranallo, he was the color commentator, but when Ross took over, he basically does both, because Ross doesn't know the names of the moves. Ross has been completely lost his entire run of NJPW on AXS. The G1 special wasn't anything different from the regular show, except people that normally don't watch saw the show and realized Ross is struggling.

• 1 month later...

Bix subtweeting JR the last couple of days has gone from amusing to sad with all the "JR is a drunk" implications. Like, yeah the guy's probably not the nicest guy in the world but he's clearly been having a rough few months and it comes off bad.

Bix subtweeting JR the last couple of days has gone from amusing to sad with all the "JR is a drunk" implications. Like, yeah the guy's probably not the nicest guy in the world but he's clearly been having a rough few months and it comes off bad.

Bix really ought to stop trying too hard sometimes.

To be clear, I've had no intention of anyone getting the message that he is "a drunk" or was drunk at any of his recent WWE bookings or live show appearances.

Really? Your tweets during Takeover suggest otherwise

More

JR's performance on commentary here is far superior to what he showed last month in Long Beach. The difference is sobering. #NXTTakeOver

that JR performance was more Jerry Lawler than Gordon Solie #NXTTakeOver

You're implying he was in Long Beach though. Or is there some other Gordon Solie trait you're referencing I'm not aware of.

Are you taking issue with such an inference in a vacuum or as something that shouldn't be discussed a few months after his wife's sudden death? Was the discussion in the newsletters of Bobby Heenan calling Hog Wild '96 drunk inappropriate? Was Dylan talking about Ric Flair going to rehab after Reid's death, which, if anything, had less wrestling news value, inappropriate?

Hypothetically, if the consensus greatest announcer in wrestling history did a New Japan show drunk during a lame duck period where he had also returned to WWE, and was NOT exhibiting such behavior in WWE, that's not a story?

If anything, I've been considerably less harsh on this hypothetical story than I would like to be because of the Scott stuff coming to a head when it did. Hell, look at my tweets during the shows. I stopped joking that he was drunk (which was just me cranking jokes about what an off night he was having) as soon as it hit me that he might hypothetically be under the influence and not just doing a bad job.

In this hypothetical, let's say that I talked to more people since then. Hypothetically, everything I've heard suggests this was sandbagging (maybe consciously, maybe not) more than anything else. He had turned down help from the NJPW crew. They were trying to make sure he would understand the psychology of their matches. It was especially glaring when he didn't get the towel spot in the night 1 main event when he had just voiced over the match it was playing off of days earlier.

And as much as it got played off as him just doing a bad job in the Observer and places like that, that's not what actually happened. He was babbling like a drunk guy, especially in night 2 (like when he started rambling about Trish Stratus). Hypothetically, maybe some ringside fans, including one I've known for years, said they could tell it was alcohol. Hypothetically, multiple people working the event told me he was drunk. I hope he wasn't, but it seems like he was in this purely hypothetical scenario. That would, hypothetically, be shitty.

And even if this hypothetical was the result of Jim getting into a funk about Jan that hopefully he would have been snapped out of since? It would irresponsible for AXS to do nothing, especially for night 2.

But that's all if, hypothetically, I was implying what you think I was implying.

Speaking of douchiness,can someone in charge change the name of this thread? It's embarrassing and fucking awful.

Truth hurt?

No opinion on JR's more recent performances, but how "recent" is Bix thinking Long Beach is? Because there's no way to interpret that tweet as anything other than Ross was drunk at that show.

(Also, I don't care about hypotheticals. Talk to me about what was actually going on, not stuff we're making up or coyly pretending to make up.)

Speaking of douchiness,can someone in charge change the name of this thread? It's embarrassing and fucking awful.

Truth hurt?

No opinion on JR's more recent performances, but how "recent" is Bix thinking Long Beach is? Because there's no way to interpret that tweet as anything other than Ross was drunk at that show.

(Also, I don't care about hypotheticals. Talk to me about what was actually going on, not stuff we're making up or coyly pretending to make up.)

I thought it was obvious that the "hypothetically" part was me lightly trolling Sek. Everything there is based on what I have actually heard.

And I'm not sure what this discussion about the word "recent" is about.

And even if this hypothetical was the result of Jim getting into a funk about Jan that hopefully he would have been snapped out of since?

Please clarify that statement. Because it sounds like you're trying to imply there is a set amount of time that the guy should be depressed over the death of his wife. And even you can't be that big of a douchebag...despite all evidence to the contrary.

And even if this hypothetical was the result of Jim getting into a funk about Jan that hopefully he would have been snapped out of since?

Please clarify that statement. Because it sounds like you're trying to imply there is a set amount of time that the guy should be depressed over the death of his wife. And even you can't be that big of a douchebag...despite all evidence to the contrary.

Definitely not saying that. Literally just meant "Everyone I talked to thought it was his apathy with the NJPW shows because he hasn't been sandbagging any other jobs." I can see how the "hopefully" was read weird, though; it was intended as "hopefully, for his sake, he'll be able to deal with this in a healthy way."

It's about this:

To be clear, I've had no intention of anyone getting the message that he is "a drunk" or was drunk at any of his recent WWE bookings or live show appearances.

Oh, that was just referring to the 2017 WWE stuff and was not meant to imply anything about his previous WWE runs. We'll see how he did overall at the Mae Young Classic but I thought he did an excellent job on Saturday at Takeover and a good job in his other appearances.

Though I don't have the highest of expectations based on his interactions with female g guests on his podcast and the line where he called Piper Niven/Viper "a load........in a good way!" on the tournament Parade of Champions show.

This was never meant to be a Jim Ross catch-all thread. It was just meant to be a thread about his WWE wagon circling in the immediate aftermath of the Benoit murders. I'm not changing the name, but I'll close it. Start a new thread if you'd like to discuss other things about Jim Ross. If you want to split off some of the posts into another thread, use the Report feature to say which ones so I or one of the mods can take care of it.

Yeah, I know what I say or think doesn't matter and it's not going to change...but for what it's worth I've never liked this thread title either. There is no doubt that Jim Ross is a grouch on his best days, but to call him a vile human being always seemed like a serious case of overkill to me. I wouldn't even call Russo a vile human being, and he's probably the person in Pro Wrestling I despise the most.

It was started when he did WWE media PR outside of Chris Benoit's funeral and was in that context. That it has continued ten years later to talk all things Jim Ross is a surprise to me. So we'll close the thread now that the convo has subsided.