Pro Wrestling Only

Jericho's return ...

Loss

... was honestly kind of embarrassing. The shorter hairstyle and the horrid vest really, really made him look like an old timer trying to relive his glory days. His nasally, high-pitched non-steroid voice was kind of screeching also.

For something hyped so well, with so much thought put into that aspect of it, it's like they had no idea what to do with him after bringing him back.

And wow, it took all of two minutes for Jericho to revert back to the midcard catchphrases. It's here you realize this run will be exactly like the last one.

I don't have especially high hopes for this return. Something tells me WWE knows they have to ride this while they can and not expose him also, or else there would have been some type of physical altercation between Jericho and Orton to end the show. But at this point, Jericho is so small that it would have totally killed his debut to see him look so tiny next to Orton.

Jericho was obviously missed, and has done a tremendous job keeping his name in the mix while out, but I wonder if he may have been out too long.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly think he was done but realized he had them by the balls and basically came back just to bleed every cent he could've out of them. I think his run could be marred by him dogging it. I don't blame him really. It's like the WCW guys that took the money to stay home in 2001. Why pass up a chance for easy money?

Other than needing to grow his hair out, I don't think it was all that bad. Hell, it's better than the embarrassing bob HBK was rocking when he first came back.

Besides, it's not like he was ever a fashion plate. I don't think his current look is any better or worse than the Gene Simmons topknot-iridescent shirt combo from WCW.

Between this post and reading the reaction at DVDVR, I feel like I'm reading a recap of Queer eye for the straight guy. Seriously who cares about the vest? I didn't mind the short hair. The only part about this whole deal I didn't like is they went too long with the countdown. He should have came back whenever they were in philly.

Other than needing to grow his hair out, I don't think it was all that bad. Hell, it's better than the embarrassing bob HBK was rocking when he first came back.

Besides, it's not like he was ever a fashion plate. I don't think his current look is any better or worse than the Gene Simmons topknot-iridescent shirt combo from WCW.

The difference is that there isn't really any irony present with the vest.

Isn't it a bit early to be writing off Jericho's return? Sure his angle on Raw was a weak take off of his WWF debut 8 years ago, but even in his original stint with the company it took him about 6 months to really hit his stride.

On another note, Jericho's a smart businessman, but this is more about easy fame than easy money. He was always going to return to wrestling when he failed to break into acting, comedy, music or TV and if he wanted the easiest money, not the most fame, he would have gone to TNA instead.

On another note, Jericho's a smart businessman, but this is more about easy fame than easy money. He was always going to return to wrestling when he failed to break into acting, comedy, music or TV and if he wanted the easiest money, not the most fame, he would have gone to TNA instead.

Not sure if that last part is necessarily true.

Is Jericho going to work a full-time schedule? Or is he going to work an HBK-esque schedule?

Also, how different would TNA money to Jericho be compared to what WWE is paying him?

I think I may be the only one who enjoyed this. Orton's beaten everybody and been a jerk, and now Jericho has returned to save the WWE from him. I got hyped for an Orton-Jericho match, heard a bunch of catch phrases I hadn't heard in a while and say a marathon runner clotheslined, what is not to love?

The worst comments on DVDR is the ones making fun of him for not being huge on roids.

Jericho will probably be able to keep his momentum going for a while. He got a huge ovation from the crowd (I don't agree with those at all who thought the Ft. Lauderdale crowd wasn't loud) and the fans seemed really happy to have him back. I wouldn't make fun of him for not being on steroids, but looking at him and listening to him, it is obvious that drug free Jericho is different from the Jericho that was there before.

The vest and haircut was just a really big deal. People point out that he didn't look all that different than he did debuting in '99, but maybe he should. It's been 8 years.

To me, the name matters more than the style or attitude. Jericho is being treated as someone the fans should care about, that's what is important. Of course if Jericho doesn't win the title by the Rumble, the 'net will crap all over it.

The fact that half the people at TSM were more upset that "Jericho's vest makes him look gay" than by anything in the actual promo but still said "that sucked" greatly amuses me.

"JERICHO'S BACK! YA---HEY, THAT VEST IS GAY! HE AUTOMATICALLY SUCKS NOW!"

Seriously, that's the gist of it.

I think some may be underrating how horrible that vest was.

It's the equivalent of a wrestler doing a classic promo with a booger hanging out of his nose the whole time.

Not that it was even a classic promo.

Jericho, to his credit, does have a fair amount of range for a wrestler, so I'm willing to see what happens next. If he stays a one-note comedy joke, he's going to continue to underachieve just like he always did.

I honestly think he was done but realized he had them by the balls and basically came back just to bleed every cent he could've out of them. I think his run could be marred by him dogging it. I don't blame him really. It's like the WCW guys that took the money to stay home in 2001. Why pass up a chance for easy money?

Maybe but it also could have been that his non-wrestling ventures bombed miserably.

In WWE magazine Jericho credits the 60 minute Shawn/Cena match from RAW for giving him the passion to come back.

I guess I'm in the minority but I liked the debut

No gay man since the days of Rickie Vasquez on My So-Called Life would be fashion-impaired enough to wear that vest.

Yep.

I've criticized Shawn Michaels' sad attempts to cover for his thinly-veiled homosexuality as much as anyone, but you have to do way better than that vest and that voice to be too gay for wrestling. I mean, Batista is considered a shining beacon of masculinity in wrestling. You have to out-gay BATISTA to at least be IN CONTENTION for being too gay for wrestling.

The thing that struck me about Jericho was actually that he looked like every 80's metal front man ever trying to pull of the same look 20 years later. Which, I guess, is what he is, except it's wrestling, so the aging process takes half the time.