Pro Wrestling Only

Jericho's return ...

Loss

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the "Me want title shot" stuff was funny since the implication was that he had to talk to Orton like he was 4 years old. It's funny that in the WON Dave was all shocked at how young Jericho looked at age 37 which at that point made me realize that he's pretty much the Randy Marsh of WWE. For those of you not South Park fans, he's the father of one of the main characters that's always trying too hard to make the kids like him but they always think he's lame because he's a dad and dads are inherently not cool. Jericho reminds me of someone trying way too hard to be cool.

This week was better than last week, but the pop was pretty anemic from what had been a fairly hot crowd.

Could it be? Chris Jericho was killed out of the gate by that vest?

God damn enough with the Vest. Did you people not watch his attire throughout his career? He's never been a fashion plate.

I liked him better last week.

It's a superficial detail, but I wonder if the short hair is confusing some of the marks. If you don't watch VH1, it's entirely possible that you haven't seen his current 'do until now, and I could see how some of the rubes might be put off by that. He sort of looks like a cross between Denis Leary and any Final Fantasy lead hero. Plus, his return was the worst kept secret in wrestling, and it stretched out way past the point where most people figured it out. Crowds were chanting "Y2J" months ago, but by the time he shows up, they didn't care as much.

As for his new finisher, well, he kinda needed a new one, and not just for the "comes back with new MOVES" gimmick. The glorified Boston crab was okay, but the WWE traditionally frowns on submissions and prefers an impact finish. The Lionsault was fine when he hit it, but he went through phases where it seemed like he couldn't help botching it every week. The only other finish he used was the Stroke, and let's not even dignify that one with any more discussion. His new move is simple, can be hit on anyone, could be both hit out of nowhere or telegraphed ahead of time, and looks like it would hurt as long as the other guy takes it right.

This week was better than last week, but the pop was pretty anemic from what had been a fairly hot crowd.

Could it be? Chris Jericho was killed out of the gate by that vest?

God damn enough with the Vest. Did you people not watch his attire throughout his career? He's never been a fashion plate.

It's not just the vest, it's the vest combined with the short hair. He wasn't wearing it this week, but they remembered. OH, THEY REMEMBERED.

Guest BilJim2

I think the "Me want title shot" stuff was funny since the implication was that he had to talk to Orton like he was 4 years old. It's funny that in the WON Dave was all shocked at how young Jericho looked at age 37 which at that point made me realize that he's pretty much the Randy Marsh of WWE. For those of you not South Park fans, he's the father of one of the main characters that's always trying too hard to make the kids like him but they always think he's lame because he's a dad and dads are inherently not cool. Jericho reminds me of someone trying way too hard to be cool.

It was funny, but it was Me Want Title Match. He had visuals! ;)

Jericho just comes across as someone as mentioned who is very comfortable with himself and that comes across in his mic work. Keep in mind they're all scripted now, so it's probably not his fault they sound like they're speaking at a 4 year old.

Wow. I was actually thinking a match with Umaga and a more serious approach to his feud with Orton would help turn things around, but Jericho is just not over at the level of a main event babyface. It's really hard to deny that at this point. I think his big fans from the glory days are either people who have moved on to other things and aren't watching anymore, or they're people who have seen him have so many main event false starts that didn't end well that they don't want to get too into him. And I don't think Jericho has done anything memorable enough yet to make a lasting impression with the fans that are maybe younger and weren't watching when he was near the top the first time around.

Jeff Hardy is really a better bet for that spot at this point, and I think his likely program with Orton going into the Rumble will probably do better than this one has. The obvious test of Jericho's worth is going to be the Armageddon buyrate, as he's being hyped as a big deal (overly so, to a point that I think it may be turning people off) and the overall card is fairly strong in terms of fresh matches that are being given plenty of focus. Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jericho get some major boos at the PPV. He's better as a heel, and I think they're going to have to turn him after the PPV anyway to get anything out of him, and his chances are better there as well where he's not competing with Michaels and HHH for a spot.

I don't know what it is -- if it's a case of Jericho being seen as a has been, or as a guy who's overhyped, or that he's smaller/older/different looking than he used to be, or all of the above. He actually has looked about the same he always did in the ring (although he hasn't had to deliver a really long match yet), but his interviews I think have been a little rambling and too silly and wordy. To his credit, I do think he's trying very hard to not be a guy riding on his namesake or nostalgia, but the things he's trying don't really seem to be working.

Even the nostalgia factor doesn't seem that strong, as Jericho attempting the Walls (which Jim Ross actually called the Liontamer) on Orton didn't even get a pop, and it's the first time he's tried the move since coming back.

One thing that really helps Jericho is that with everyone off the gas now, he doesn't look all that different size wise than anyone else. In fact, he seems to have one of the better physiques since it seems half the roster seems to have assumed the Wellness Policy bans going to the gym as well. I mean, not to come off as a muscle queen but I haven't seen this many dudes with potbellies on TV since Jake Milliman retired.

They stretched out his return too long. He should have came back 2 weeks before he did. But I don't think that would have helped anything. I don't blame it all on Jericho. They killed anything he had before he left 2 years ago and Randy Orton is just boring. He was so good in the Cena feud and he sold like a champ in the HBK feud. What happened between then and now?

I still like Jericho and I hope I'm not the only one.

They need to put the title on Hardy sometime next year.

This shouldn't come as a surprise.

According to the latest WON, HHH has been going around to younger wrestlers telling them they should be very excited about the next round of house shows. When they ask why, HHH says because our savior is here.

He made the same comment to Michaels, telling him that he should reconsider his decision not to work house shows because they're all going to make so much money with Jericho coming back to save the business.

HHH has also been saying that Flair's return will draw far more money and is far more important.

It's pointed out that HHH usually only makes comments like these on chartered flights or during the week when the rest of the wrestlers aren't around.

Stephanie still seems to be pretty strongly in Jericho's corner, though.

I guess all the discussion of the clique for the HBK DVD made HHH yearn for the days where he was a prick to everyone. What kind of example must this set for the young wrestlers? The guy who's probably going to be the boss one day is trying to goad someone the company is pushing as a top guy into a fight, like he was some message board troll.

According to the Torch, everyone in the company is already pretty down on him. There are tentative plans to do Jericho/JBL at Wrestlemania, which sure sounds like a burial because JBL would eat him alive on the mic at this point, and also because JBL is usually who they send after people they want to be stiffed in the ring.

I thought the APA was just a one shot deal since JBL was with the RAW group going to Iraq after the show.

Plus also I saw it as part of the Carlito farewell tour, since he's now been beaten by a midget and two guys who've been retired for years.

I guess the rest of that tour is cancelled, so to speak.

SPOILER ALERT FROM THE IRAQ SHOW

Chris Jericho b Randy Orton via DQ when JBL interfered and attacked Jericho and laid him out with a clothesline

Sure sounds like they may be going in that direction.