Pro Wrestling Only

Jericho's return ...

Loss

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to bump this to point out how it's taken almost no time for Jericho to become irrelevant.

With the Finlay/JBL segment on RAW, I think it became obvious that they're not going to carry Jericho/JBL to Mania.

Now, he's a guy in multi-person big matches who stands no chance of winning, which is exactly how he was being booked in 2005.

Any chance at doing something different is pretty much gone.

The only real hope is a super heel turn and program with Cena, but I'm not really sure he could get over in that role anymore, and again, that's more 2005 re-tread.

I'm not saying all of this to attack him, as much as I am pointing out how unbelievable it is that someone who was among the most over guys they had during the boom and immediate post-boom doesn't really have a role anymore.

In addition to all that, he all of a sudden is last behind Big Show and JBL as far as recent returns go, as Big Show has a potentially very good story going with Mayweather, and JBL has had promos which outshined Jericho's (in my opinion) and has a new hot angle going on with Hornswoggle, Finlay and Vince.

I can't see him doing anything at 'Mania besides MITB, which should be Jeff Hardy's to win this year. The only possible thing to redeem Jericho might be a sudden heel turn and then HE turns into the guy who ends Flair's career, but I think it's safe to say that's a long shot.

The common IWC demand for anyone whom they think is being underutilized on Raw is "move him to Smackdown so Quadruple H won't BERRY them anymore", but this is one case where I think that might be correct. Jericho is lost in the crowded upper-midcard on Raw. Smackdown is much more starving for starpower, especially on the heel side; after Edge, who's their #2 in-ring villain?

Of course, since SD is being cancelled anyway, maybe it's not such a great idea.

I've been casually watching RAW over the past few weeks and something about Jericho doesn't work... In the stuff they showed from his promotional visit to Japan, he came across as charismatic, but on the shows... I thought the Jericho/JBL angle was old school and potentially quite good, but Jericho can't cut a face promo and can't brawl. He seems to lack that extra gear.

• 5 months later...

Speaking of voices, it should be pointed out that Jericho's near-whisper heel promos are what's making his new character work. Am I missing someone or is he the first guy in WWE since Jake Roberts to figure out that quiet heel promos are like a billion percent more effective than the usual "RAAAAAHH IMMA KILL YOU" variety that most heels do?

Speaking of voices, it should be pointed out that Jericho's near-whisper heel promos are what's making his new character work. Am I missing someone or is he the first guy in WWE since Jake Roberts to figure out that quiet heel promos are like a billion percent more effective than the usual "RAAAAAHH IMMA KILL YOU" variety that most heels do?

Perhaps Raven?

Unless you are reconning all of ECW and WCW into WWE proper, then no. I don't recall him doing his ECW style promos in WWE.

(of course he very well may have, that era of WWF tends to blur together in my brain)

There was like, two weeks only, of Raven hanging out backstage or right outside the arena, doing "ECW Raven" stuff. It went on while other shit was going down. It was out of nowhere, if I recall right, and never went anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

I figure it's to build to one of three things:

(1) Shawn finally getting that token win and taking the title (the one month reign from 2002 doesn't count, because he's far more established with the current audience now than he was then)

(2) CM Punk going through Orton and his group en route to a Jericho/Punk Wrestlemania match where Punk regains the title

(3) John Cena comes back, and they do the "You cost me two years of my life" feud with Cena beating Jericho at Wrestlemania

I tend to think the third one is the best option of the bunch, but I think that since they have the belt on Jericho, they should park it there for a while. There are too many scenarios and challengers to make it a quick run.

Jericho is also in a far better position this time than he was last time he held the belt. Knowing how the guy always gets shunted down the card when he turns babyface but is typically kept near the top as a heel, if I'm Chris Jericho, I don't ever want to turn babyface again.

Didn't figure it would happen the way it did. I thought they were going to set up CM Punk with another title feud with Randy Orton, and maybe eventually move on to Jericho, as he got red-hot as a heel. At the same time, lord knows how much faither Vince has in Punk anyway, and Jericho may be a long-term heel champ that they have in mind until WrestleMania.

It's not like he doesn't have opponents (Shawn, Batista, Punk, Rey) so fingers crossed that it's booked better than that other run of his.

I'm not sure it was done to build to anything in particular, other than the brand is babyface heavy at the moment (Cena, Batista, Shawn, Rey and Punk), so it makes sense to put the belt on a fresh heel for the faces to chase while they sort out over the next few months the WrestleMania card. For example, I could see Jericho dropping the title to Cena before Mania to set up Cena vs Batista II.

For example, I could see Jericho dropping the title to Cena before Mania to set up Cena vs Batista II.

I know it's just an example but it's much more obvious and likely that it'd be Batista claiming the belt while Cena is gone, and then heeling it up a little when Cena returns (but still probably be considered a babyface). Batista won the Summerslam match, and was credited with the injury to Cena. No way is Cena going to Mania as champion vs challenger Batista. Batista has been booked as the aggressor all along. That's a trait of a heel champion that isn't booked as chickenshit.

I am definitely pleased for Jericho to get the belt. No problem there. I don't like the way they did it. But I have been thinking about it since I watched. This method sets up a nice long feud with Orton and Punk, which could be entertaining and might lead to something in a few months.

I agree that they ought to leave the belt on Jericho for awhile. Just glad they didn't put it onto Batista this time around. I don't hate him, but he gets old to me.

BTW, I thought the HBK match was pretty good, well played except for that weird dragged out ending, like they didn't know when they should stop after Y2J was knocked out.