Jericho's return ...

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 Jingus

Jingus
  • Banned
  • 2583 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:42 PM

Several guys have done whispery promos at some point or another. HHH and Foley come to mind. But they never made a consistent habit of it.

#62 Johnny Sorrow

Johnny Sorrow
  • Members
  • 4728 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:59 AM

Unless you are reconning all of ECW and WCW into WWE proper, then no. I don't recall him doing his ECW style promos in WWE.

(of course he very well may have, that era of WWF tends to blur together in my brain)

There was like, two weeks only, of Raven hanging out backstage or right outside the arena, doing "ECW Raven" stuff. It went on while other shit was going down. It was out of nowhere, if I recall right, and never went anywhere.

#63 Marty

Marty
  • Members
  • 2057 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 05:31 AM

Undertaker (especially during his initial days) didn't exactly yell into the camera.

#64 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43982 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:22 AM

Who would have thought?

#65 MikeCampbell

MikeCampbell

80% of crazy!

• Members
  • 2159 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:43 AM

I didn't think it'd happen this soon and this way. But after Shawn got hurt, I figured Jericho would beat him again at Unforgiven and then would start a World Title program.

#66 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43982 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:55 AM

I figure it's to build to one of three things: (1) Shawn finally getting that token win and taking the title (the one month reign from 2002 doesn't count, because he's far more established with the current audience now than he was then) (2) CM Punk going through Orton and his group en route to a Jericho/Punk Wrestlemania match where Punk regains the title (3) John Cena comes back, and they do the "You cost me two years of my life" feud with Cena beating Jericho at Wrestlemania I tend to think the third one is the best option of the bunch, but I think that since they have the belt on Jericho, they should park it there for a while. There are too many scenarios and challengers to make it a quick run. Jericho is also in a far better position this time than he was last time he held the belt. Knowing how the guy always gets shunted down the card when he turns babyface but is typically kept near the top as a heel, if I'm Chris Jericho, I don't ever want to turn babyface again.

#67 Marty

Marty
  • Members
  • 2057 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:00 AM

Didn't figure it would happen the way it did. I thought they were going to set up CM Punk with another title feud with Randy Orton, and maybe eventually move on to Jericho, as he got red-hot as a heel. At the same time, lord knows how much faither Vince has in Punk anyway, and Jericho may be a long-term heel champ that they have in mind until WrestleMania. It's not like he doesn't have opponents (Shawn, Batista, Punk, Rey) so fingers crossed that it's booked better than that other run of his.

#68 kjh

kjh
  • Members
  • 3122 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:17 AM

I'm not sure it was done to build to anything in particular, other than the brand is babyface heavy at the moment (Cena, Batista, Shawn, Rey and Punk), so it makes sense to put the belt on a fresh heel for the faces to chase while they sort out over the next few months the WrestleMania card. For example, I could see Jericho dropping the title to Cena before Mania to set up Cena vs Batista II.

#69 Slasher

Slasher
  • Members
  • 1841 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:34 AM

For example, I could see Jericho dropping the title to Cena before Mania to set up Cena vs Batista II.

I know it's just an example but it's much more obvious and likely that it'd be Batista claiming the belt while Cena is gone, and then heeling it up a little when Cena returns (but still probably be considered a babyface). Batista won the Summerslam match, and was credited with the injury to Cena. No way is Cena going to Mania as champion vs challenger Batista. Batista has been booked as the aggressor all along. That's a trait of a heel champion that isn't booked as chickenshit.

#70 Kronos

Kronos

Space Mountain

• Members
  • 1147 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:59 PM

I am definitely pleased for Jericho to get the belt. No problem there. I don't like the way they did it. But I have been thinking about it since I watched. This method sets up a nice long feud with Orton and Punk, which could be entertaining and might lead to something in a few months. I agree that they ought to leave the belt on Jericho for awhile. Just glad they didn't put it onto Batista this time around. I don't hate him, but he gets old to me. BTW, I thought the HBK match was pretty good, well played except for that weird dragged out ending, like they didn't know when they should stop after Y2J was knocked out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users