Pro Wrestling Only

Greatest Wrestler of All Time

stunning_grover

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is how concentraited the #1 picks were. The only people outside of the Top 20 to get #1's were:

#23 Jaguar Yokota (1)

#40 Ted Dibiase (1)

#41 Jerry Lawler (1)

#55 Dave Finlay (1)

#118 Hayabusa (1)

That was the only Top 10 that Busa got.

Dandy was the "lowest" to get a #2, and got two of them in fact. He finished ranked #67.

John

Looking back at the votes, I'm remembering something that was mentioned at the time - Baba's numbers had to be wrong. His average vote was about 20th place (20.3). That while getting no Top 10's from the 27 people who voted for him.

It was far out of wack from other people around him. Destroyer, for example, averaged 26th place (26.4) on the 33 ballots he was on. That was with four Top 10's, and three people putting him #3. He had 2463 points to Baba's 2180.

Rob added something up wrong, and I think agreed that it looked off and he would put up a revised list after double checking stuff.

John

This is how concentraited the #1 picks were. The only people outside of the Top 20 to get #1's were:

#23 Jaguar Yokota (1)

#40 Ted Dibiase (1)

#41 Jerry Lawler (1)

#55 Dave Finlay (1)

#118 Hayabusa (1)

That was the only Top 10 that Busa got.

Dandy was the "lowest" to get a #2, and got two of them in fact. He finished ranked #67.

John

Chris Jericho also got a #1 vote from someone.

Highest ranked guys with no #1's:

#3 Chris Benoit (two #2's)

#7 Mitsuharu Misawa (three #2's)

#10 Stan Hansen (one #3)

#11 Terry Funk (eight #5's... it seems)

#13 Ricky Steamboat (one #3)

Highest without a Top 5:

#17 Vader

#24 Shinya Hashimoto

Highest without a Top 10:

#26 Akira Taue

#27 Shinjiro Ohtani

#28 Barry Windham

John

Over 400 wrestlers received votes among 40-something ballots submitted. There were plenty of wrestlers I didn't vote for that you probably didn't either that for that finished high, and it wasn't because we were being contrarian.

That wasn't my point. My point was that it is easy to eliminate over a dozen wrestlers or more with just one person's ballot.

Greatest, best, Top 100 ... to me, it's all the same, and it's just a buzzword that has the same general meaning regardless.

Not really... this poll wasn't about the best... for as many people who thought about the best or the greatest, for a ton of people, it was about their favorites.

Again, I have to ask -- what wrestlers in the top 100 would you not consider great?

From the Top 100 here are 43 wrestlers I would not vote for for a variety of reasons.

31. Mayumi Ozaki - Haven't seen enough

33. Hiroshi Hase - Haven't seen enough great matches or great moments

35. Devil Masami - Haven't seen enough

39. Chigusa Nagayo - Haven't seen enough

42. Volk Han - Haven't seen enough

59. Mariko Yoshida - Haven't seen enough

60. Dynamite Kansai - Haven't seen enough

63. Kiyoshi Tamura - Haven't seen enough

66. Kazuo Yamazaki - Haven't seen enough

73. Lioness Asuka - Haven't seen enough

79. Dump Matsumoto - Haven't seen enough

81. Mark Rocco - Haven't seen enough

82. Lou Thesz - Haven't seen enough

89. Satanico - Haven't seen enough

91. Toshiyo Yamada - Haven't seen enough

97. Naoki Sano - Haven't seen enough

69. Dory Funk Jr. - The more I see, the less I am impressed despite reputation

What I define as greatness, obviously a different definition and list of criteria from your definition, I would not include these guys on my list.

45. Curt Hennig

46. Shawn Michaels

50. Jun Akiyama

53. Keiji Muto

54. Steven Regal

61. Akira Maeda

62. Ultimo Dragon

65. Kyoko Inoue

68. Tiger Mask

70. Mick Foley

72. Masahiro Chono

74. El Samurai

77. Shiro Koshinaka

80. Kurt Angle

83. The Great Sasuke

84. Chris Jericho

85. Rick Rude

86. Hulk Hogan

87. Taka Michinoku

88. Brian Pillman

90. Dean Malenko

92. Psicosis

95. Dan Kroffat

96. Rick Martel

98. Dick Togo

99. Stg. Slaughter

100. Riki Choshu

So, since last year (or whenever we did the list) I have added 7 wrestlers that I would put in the great column. They may have already been there but I chose to do 50 wrestlers and may have left them off. They may be guys I have rediscovered over the last year and have risen in my eyes.

Hey kewl, I actually saved a copy of the ballot I sent in for the poll.

Looking at it and remembering the countdown, I think I was the only votes for Carlos Colon, Terry Taylor, Mike Rotundo and Jerry Lynn. Umm.. I might replace Lynn with someone else next time 'round..

Hi just a quick question how did the The Destroyer end up so hi on the list. I think there's only about 7 or 10 matches floating about out there. Thanks

Mr rage

I don't know exactly how many matches of his are floating around, but the general consensus seems to be that he's amazing in almost all of them. It's an incomplete picture of his career, but there's enough there to strongly suggest that he was great.

Hi just a quick question how did the The Destroyer end up so hi on the list. I think there's only about 7 or 10 matches floating about out there. Thanks

Mr rage

I don't know exactly how many matches of his are floating around, but the general consensus seems to be that he's amazing in almost all of them. It's an incomplete picture of his career, but there's enough there to strongly suggest that he was great.

Hi thanks for the reply but that's not a good reason for him to be so high. He not the worst on the list with Eddie Guerrero at 6 and bret hart at 9, but i guess guerrero's death had a lot to do with it. The love for bret hart is almost as bad as the hate for shawn michaels. It would be interesting to do one now and see if Chris Benoit killing his family puts him behind shawn or if being a arsehole is the greater crime. Not that this list should be voted on that, but a lot of it appears to be when you look at the listing. What i mean by that is it people's perceptions on the wrestlers and not fact on how they voted

Mr rage

Eddie was awesome for well over a decade.... in different environments and fighting different styles. Eddie rules.

But number 6 in the greatest wrestler of all time, i must have been watching a different Eddie than you.

Yes he was awesome. Top 50 To top 30 easy, top 20 maybe, top 10 no way.

Mr rage

Eddie was awesome for well over a decade.... in different environments and fighting different styles. Eddie rules.

But number 6 in the greatest wrestler of all time, i must have been watching a different Eddie than you.

Mr rage

Just for shits and giggles, who is in your Top 10?

Mr rage

Just for shits and giggles, who is in your Top 10?

Hi that could open me up to be ripped apart, i give you 10 but not in any order

Kenta Kobashi

Stan Hansen

Shawn Michaels

Ric Flair

Chris Benoit

Jumbo Tsuruta

Toshiaki Kawada

Rey Mysterio Jr

Jushin Liger

terry funk/Billy Robinson (maybe need to see more Robinson) not sure who to go with

and if i seen more of there work

Manami Toyota

Devil Masami

Harley Race (not much out there of his prime)

Dave Finlay

Akira Hokuto

Jaguar Yokota

I need to see more of world of sport.

When wrestlers like Bret Hart,Ted Dibiase,Destroyer (who i love from what i seen) and even wrestles in my top 10 like Benoit and Liger get called the best technical wresters, you need to watch these guys to see what that statement really means as there style blows them away.

Jim Breaks

Johnny Saint

Steve Grey

Yeah, I've never gotten that either. Bret and Eddie are far superior to Shawn, nearly any day of the week. Hell, just ask Bret, he'll tell you how great he was ;)

Here's what my top ten would look like:

In no particular order -

Flair

Kobashi

Kawada

Benoit

E. Guerrero

Hansen

Liger

Billington

Misawa

Danielson