Pro Wrestling Only

So, "Ring of Hell"...

Bix

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know non-wrestling fans who have read the books because a) I work a at a book store and have recommended the book to co-workers B) I helped line up an interview for Matthew that resulted in a couple of non-fan radio people I know reading the book and c) I reviewed the book on my blog, which eventually led to some folks I know in the world of polemical political writing/blogging reading the book.

I know non-wrestling fans who have read the books because a) I work a at a book store and have recommended the book to co-workers B) I helped line up an interview for Matthew that resulted in a couple of non-fan radio people I know reading the book and c) I reviewed the book on my blog, which eventually led to some folks I know in the world of polemical political writing/blogging reading the book.

Cool.

• 1 month later...

Re-Trainees being assaulted and sodomized while at the Dojo:

This isn't a line of defense for the trainers, but the trainees pursue this career. The wrestling business is, and always has been ugly, disgusting, wrong, and unkind (among more choice descriptions). I don't know what's worse, the trainers beating/sodomizing the trainees, or the trainees not leaving.

It's not uncommon for trainers to do things like this (minus sodomization, of course) in "professional" wrestling, or even MMA. I've been to some MMA training sessions, and it wasn't pretty.

Its not like they signed a contract (or do they?) and are being forced to remain in the Dojo. I was in the Marine Corps. and got brutalized daily while in boot camp, but I signed a contract and could not leave. I was naive to the Marines, and didn't realize what the Drill Instructors do to the recruits, I found out on the first day when my eyebrow was getting stitched shut after being opened up by a kick to the face.

Even today, I think most people who go into the business are at least somewhat naive to just how ugly, disgusting, wrong, and unkind, the business can be. You can argue the ones that stay are dumb for not leaving, but there will always be a ready supply of people who will be willingly tortured and adapt their personality for a chance to live their dreams.

I'm not sure how it works exactly, but I don't believe they're contracted. They used to quit or run away in the old days. Sometimes they'd be dragged back and in that case they were invariably punished for running away. But y'know, those dojo stories are twenty years old. Japan has changed a hell of a lot in the past twenty years and these days, if you look at sumo, they can't even get trainees. Wrestling's not far behind. The chapter on Japan could've been a lot better, but obviously the book wasn't about Japan.

• 13 years later...

So... I'm bumping an ancient thread whose last post was over a decade ago to ask an incredibly morbid question that has been on my mind for almost as long as this thread has been active.

In Ring of Hell as well as a few other places online it has been claimed as fact that Chris Benoit placed his son in the Crippler Crossface or some variant of the move. My question is - How do we know this? I can only imagine there were signs of strangulation or bruising to the areas usually affected by the move that would indicate it was applied. Is there any concrete evidence proving Benoit used this move on his son? What led anyone to believe this was the manner in which he killed his son? Did Chris Benoit simply strangle his son causing people to imagine some sick(er) scenario where he used his actual "finisher" to kill his son?

This is something that always bothered me about the reporting on this case and is something that I am hard pressed to believe can be confirmed. I do not mean this as an indictment of anyone who reported this as fact.

I plead the gentle readers of PWO to not take this as a troll post. I have children of my own and even using phrases like "used this move" and "finisher" gross me out considering the context of my post but PWO is probably the most level-headed and informed message board on the net so I figure if I'm going to get an honest answer anywhere, it will be here.

Bix, were you at?

IIRC the bruises left on Daniel were consistent with where your hands/arms would be if someone put him in that hold. I don't think it was ever 100% confirmed but it was one of those "all signs point to" situations.  

That's also the reason everyone was kind of against anyone using that move in wrestling for a while afterwards. 

36 minutes ago, sek69 said:

IIRC the bruises left on Daniel were consistent with where your hands/arms would be if someone put him in that hold. I don't think it was ever 100% confirmed but it was one of those "all signs point to" situations.  

That's also the reason everyone was kind of against anyone using that move in wrestling for a while afterwards. 

This is what I figured but not having seen any autopsy reports I was never quite sure. I completely understand why no-one would want to use any of Benoit's "signatures" after the fact and especially that one.

Ugh. I feel like scum even discussing the topic. Will try to balance out with a random recommended match from a random PWO poster. I appreciate your input sek.