• Please log in to reply
990 replies to this topic

#961 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7470 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:24 PM

Let someone jam their fingers into your trapezius muscle and then tell me a nerve hold wouldn't actually hurt. This was one of those wrestling moves my brother and I used to do to each other and it fucking SUCKS. Chin locks however are pretty fucking lame and just show a complete lack of creativity.

#962 InYourCase

InYourCase
  • Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:28 PM

Let someone jam their fingers into your trapezius muscle and then tell me a nerve hold wouldn't actually hurt. This was one of those wrestling moves my brother and I used to do to each other and it fucking SUCKS. Chin locks however are pretty fucking lame and just show a complete lack of creativity.

I can fully admit I've never had anyone try to submit me with a nerve hold. 

I do, however, think it's a dated move. One that doesn't hold up with modern times. 

#963 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11348 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:30 PM

The nerveholds are one of those things that are really painful in real life but really suck in the context of watching wrestling.

Killer Kowolski at MSG in the 70s, or the Samoans or Great Kabuki. Truly some of the most boring wrestling I've ever had to sit through, and the nerveholds are half of the reason.

#964 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10919 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:36 PM

It's all about how they're worked, like any other hold. It's about how they're sold, the struggle put into them, how they're presented in a larger picture sort of way, and how they're used in a match. Everything is a tool. It's just how the tools are used. A nerve hold can be the most compelling thing in the world if the stars align and it's used properly. I do think that nerve holds are slightly harder to work than other things, though, because they limit facial expressions to a degree, sort of contain the body language of the person taking it, and don't generally allow for much motion in the person putting it on. If someone's constantly repositioning it and letting go and starting anew and grinding down that way, it tends to work better. Just having it on can be problematic.

#965 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11348 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:41 PM

Jack Brisco is pretty good at selling nerveholds, Martel also. Basically a lot of wild spasms to get over the pain. Most people just lie there and maybe cry out in pain a bit. Think it's on the seller to make the nervehold mean something.

The worst matches for "restholds" I've ever seen are Don Muraco vs. Pedro Morales ones over IC title. Fucking woeful.

#966 BruiserBrody

BruiserBrody
  • Members
  • 861 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:38 AM

"Buddy Landell dressed up like Flair and they never interacted or acknowledged it"

Comment section then fills up with results and clips of the feud....

No comment from SK though. 

#967 DeanColes1987

DeanColes1987
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:00 PM

This was his quote, keep in mind he reviewed the TBS shows from 85

​"It was that way all the way back to Landell’s run in 85, where he was doing the exact same act as Flair with the same name and no one ever pointed it out on commentary. You’d think this would set up some kind of a feud or confrontation, but NOPE. It always confused me as a kid, too."

Edit: I know the videos from Worldwide but it aired on TBS as well

Edited by DeanColes1987, 27 October 2016 - 05:07 PM.

#968 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 10989 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 06:27 PM

If I recall correctly he was doing that for a while before Flair acknowledged it, so I can see how at some point you're wondering if it's a rib of some sort, but yes to say nothing ever came of it is silly. 

#969 MikeCampbell

MikeCampbell

80% of crazy!

• Members
  • 2154 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 07:17 PM

"So…is Finn trying to say something with his rainbow Balor Club gear and LGBT fanclub as a part of the entrance? I’ve heard others make claims, but I don’t think he’s ever said anything on the record." 

Wow, so apparently anyone who does something for the LGBT community must be gay.

#970 FMKK

FMKK
  • Members
  • 1070 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 07:15 AM

Like all of his stuff, his humour is warmed over shit that should've been left in the 90s

#971 Lee

Lee
  • Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:45 PM

The one that grates on me the most is where someone or something is mentioned in the Obsever Recaps that we know goes on to be huge, and he makes literally the exact same tired joke about it. Something like "A kid named Steve Austin debuted and was said to look really good" followed by Keith adding "Like this Austin kid will ever get over and become the biggest star in the business, HAHAHADEDFUNNYLAFF". 

"Buddy Landell dressed up like Flair and they never interacted or acknowledged it"

Comment section then fills up with results and clips of the feud....

No comment from SK though. 

Regarding his intentional ignorance towards being corrected, he actually blocked me from leaving comments on his blog because he got sick of how many times I called him out on both his bullshit and his blanket refusal to ever acknowledge his mistakes, even when presented with evidence. 

#972 shodate

shodate

Anarchist of PWO

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:49 PM

i hate the term resthold  

#973 fxnj

fxnj
  • Members
  • 568 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:17 AM

I'm torn on it. On one hand, I do think Keith's usage of the term has done a lot of harm in propagating the view that any form of matwork or submissions is automatically boring and is only done to kill time or to give guys a rest. On the other hand, I don't think the term would be able to exist if not for workers like Flair and Race who were promoting the work-rate style Keith champions long before he was writing and who often did treat matwork as "restholds" are normally thought of. It's bad that the term's become so misused, but guys who sit in headlocks and armlocks for no reason deserve to get called out on it.

#974 joeg

joeg
  • Members
  • 575 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:53 PM

Without working holds a match would consists of running the ropes, a wrestler taking a bump, getting right to his feet unimpeded, running the ropes again and bumping again. Without headlocks and armlocks, matches would look like fire pro.

#975 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 10919 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:03 PM

A chinlock has to be used for a greater narrative purpose and executed with some sense of struggle. Ultimately, though, it, like Keith himself, is just a tool.

#976 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 9432 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:09 PM

The one that grates on me the most is where someone or something is mentioned in the Obsever Recaps that we know goes on to be huge, and he makes literally the exact same tired joke about it. Something like "A kid named Steve Austin debuted and was said to look really good" followed by Keith adding "Like this Austin kid will ever get over and become the biggest star in the business, HAHAHADEDFUNNYLAFF". 

You get a million of these in every wreddit Observer recap--the guy who does them downplays it and the jokes in general, but yeah, they're in the comments, usually multiple times.

#977 SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers
  • Members
  • 888 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:01 PM

You get a million of these in every wreddit Observer recap--the guy who does them downplays it and the jokes in general, but yeah, they're in the comments, usually multiple times.

Hell with that, its a hackish quip for looking at anything retro, in any medium! I dont know, but that Montana kid on Notre Dame might have something!

#978 fxnj

fxnj
  • Members
  • 568 posts

Posted Today, 09:46 AM

Without working holds a match would consists of running the ropes, a wrestler taking a bump, getting right to his feet unimpeded, running the ropes again and bumping again. Without headlocks and armlocks, matches would look like fire pro.

The term "resthold" is the product of guys not realizing the importance of holds in building a match and not putting in the effort to work them in an interesting fashion.

#979 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 10919 posts

Posted Today, 09:54 AM

I went to an NXT show in Baltimore (Bel Air, MD)  two years ago. The crowd was mostly good. They were into everything. In fact, they were in to the match I'm about to talk about. It was No Way Jose vs Elias. This was his first or second match back from injury. Given who was in there (and maybe the bit about the injury), it was worked with chinlocks, in and out. There was a solid sense of struggle. They brought the crowd up for hope spots and then down for cheap cut offs. Jose was charismatic. Elias was hated. They worked the hold. It was the entire middle portion of the match (the whole heat really) and once Jose came back, they went to the finish. This was the last match before intermission and all of it was plenty over. Perfect match with the perfect wrestlers at a perfect time on the card for a perfect crowd. 

The guy behind me griped about how they were just doing a resthold though. 

#980 NintendoLogic

NintendoLogic

Grim and frostbitten

• Members
  • 2971 posts

Posted Today, 09:58 AM

There's a pretty big difference between Ricky Steamboat working an armbar in the opening minutes to establish the story of the match and Ultimate Warrior applying a bearhug a minute in because he blew himself up sprinting to the ring.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 2 guests, 1 anonymous users