• Please log in to reply
967 replies to this topic

#961 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7421 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:24 PM

Let someone jam their fingers into your trapezius muscle and then tell me a nerve hold wouldn't actually hurt. This was one of those wrestling moves my brother and I used to do to each other and it fucking SUCKS. Chin locks however are pretty fucking lame and just show a complete lack of creativity.

#962 InYourCase

InYourCase
  • Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:28 PM

Let someone jam their fingers into your trapezius muscle and then tell me a nerve hold wouldn't actually hurt. This was one of those wrestling moves my brother and I used to do to each other and it fucking SUCKS. Chin locks however are pretty fucking lame and just show a complete lack of creativity.

I can fully admit I've never had anyone try to submit me with a nerve hold. 

I do, however, think it's a dated move. One that doesn't hold up with modern times. 

#963 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:30 PM

The nerveholds are one of those things that are really painful in real life but really suck in the context of watching wrestling.

Killer Kowolski at MSG in the 70s, or the Samoans or Great Kabuki. Truly some of the most boring wrestling I've ever had to sit through, and the nerveholds are half of the reason.

#964 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10262 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:36 PM

It's all about how they're worked, like any other hold. It's about how they're sold, the struggle put into them, how they're presented in a larger picture sort of way, and how they're used in a match. Everything is a tool. It's just how the tools are used. A nerve hold can be the most compelling thing in the world if the stars align and it's used properly. I do think that nerve holds are slightly harder to work than other things, though, because they limit facial expressions to a degree, sort of contain the body language of the person taking it, and don't generally allow for much motion in the person putting it on. If someone's constantly repositioning it and letting go and starting anew and grinding down that way, it tends to work better. Just having it on can be problematic.

#965 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:41 PM

Jack Brisco is pretty good at selling nerveholds, Martel also. Basically a lot of wild spasms to get over the pain. Most people just lie there and maybe cry out in pain a bit. Think it's on the seller to make the nervehold mean something.

The worst matches for "restholds" I've ever seen are Don Muraco vs. Pedro Morales ones over IC title. Fucking woeful.

#966 BruiserBrody

BruiserBrody
  • Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:38 AM

"Buddy Landell dressed up like Flair and they never interacted or acknowledged it"

Comment section then fills up with results and clips of the feud....

No comment from SK though. 

#967 DeanColes1987

DeanColes1987
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:00 PM

This was his quote, keep in mind he reviewed the TBS shows from 85

​"It was that way all the way back to Landell’s run in 85, where he was doing the exact same act as Flair with the same name and no one ever pointed it out on commentary. You’d think this would set up some kind of a feud or confrontation, but NOPE. It always confused me as a kid, too."

Edit: I know the videos from Worldwide but it aired on TBS as well

Edited by DeanColes1987, 27 October 2016 - 05:07 PM.

#968 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 10424 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 06:27 PM

If I recall correctly he was doing that for a while before Flair acknowledged it, so I can see how at some point you're wondering if it's a rib of some sort, but yes to say nothing ever came of it is silly. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users