Pro Wrestling Only

"Macho Madness: The Randy Savage Ultimate Collection"

stunning_grover

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect they'll include the Savage-Santana match where he won the IC title, ditto the two matches in which Savage won the WWE title (DiBiase at WM IV and Flair at WM VIII).

Savage-Warrior from WM VII is a no brainer. True, Savage lost that one, but it does include the post-match angle of him reunited with Elizabeth.

I wouldn't mind seeing one of the matches from the Savage-DDP series in WCW. There was some good work there.

I'm guessing an MSG match with Hogan and/or DiBiase will be on there.

I don't know if WWE would have the legal rights to this, but I'm hoping a segment they include would be The Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous with Robin Leach. Savage and Leach playing croquet, with Savage cheating by bending the wickets when Leach wasn't looking ruled.

Savage was a big show performer in the WWF through and through. There are going to be some gems, but I doubt as many as you might think.

I'd like to see maybe the bloody Toronto match with Steamboat.

I suspect more WCW than anyone cares to see.

This really makes me wish WWE owned the Memphis library.

I'll be interested to see whether they interview him at any length or treat him more as a hostile subject.

It sounds like it'll be one of those 3-discs sets filled with matches, with some narratives preceding the matches, according to PWSpyware. Apparently, they're going to have Todd Grisham host the DVD, which feels odd.

I actually read that Matt Striker was the guy they were going to have host it (no idea where I read that, though... don't usually check wrestling news sites). Striker's pretty much the best announcer in WWE now, so I'd much rather have him do it that Grish'.

Interested in seeing the match listing for it. Obviously the Wrestlemania match against Steamboat is on, and his 'Mania appearances against Warrior, Flair and probably DiBiase will be there, too.

I'd like for the Toronto match with Steamer to go on as well (the one Loss mentioned where he hits a gusher), and a Santana match or two is a possibility. I'd suspect their 4/21/86 NO DQ match from MSG is given the nod, but who knows?

If they go with a Hogan match, I'd like to see one of their '86 matches from around the horn on there. They had a really fun lumberjack match from MSG in February of that year, and it may actually be my favourite match they had together (haven't seen the Wrestlemania match in a long time, though).

Don't remember much from his WCW stuff, but I'd think a DDP match would be on there.

Hopefully they include a chunk of promos and segments, too. Some of his Tuesday Night Titans segments were wildly entertaining, especially when he was out ripping on Hulkamania and telling everybody it was all about the Macho Madness.

And here is everyone's favorite wet blanket (sorry this isn't in the thread about his book):

Finally, according to the latest Figure Four Weekly, WWE is announcing a Randy Savage DVD for the summer. The key is that there’s not going to be a documentary (so that no one can say nice things about him) and it’s just going to be matches and angles. Because that way Vince can make money off his name without having to acknowledge him, apparently. However, since all I care about is the matches and angles, WOO HOO!

Yes he appreciates the matches and angles, but other than that come on, be a little grateful instead of trying to spin it so we can still insult the WWE. As I said, on the other hand, they can't say MEAN things either...so no Self-Destruction, Part 2!

Also... think about it: if it was as simple as throwing matches out there and not saying anything about who was in them, there'd be more Savage on the previous releases. Something doesn't add up with that theory.

Come to think of it, why did they deal with Macho with complete silence before, yet they decided to speak out against Warrior?

Warrior has a whole litany of early '90s WWF personalities who don't like him. With Savage it would be harder to find people to speak out against him since he was apparently pretty well-liked until he came back to WCW in '99, when he became a major backstage headache. Also, WWE's burial DVD only came about when Warrior refused to participate with their DVD on him. With Savage he's basically been blacklisted until now.

As much as I hate to buy into the Steph rumor, nothing else makes sense in their years-long refusal to deal with him. Obviously the fact that they've made a deal with him would take some credence away from that rumor. But in case Bix sees this, what exactly have you heard about this? You said that your sources in WWE believed it to be true, and I'm sure Randazzo has asked his sources (assuming they aren't the same people as yours), though whatever he's learned I'm sure he couldn't very well put it into his book. But that still doesn't make sense because the rumor as originally reported on DVDVR stated that Savage was fired due to Vince finding out about it, and he certainly talked about Savage fondly on Raw after he left, not to mention he was willing to take him back in '96, so it just doesn't all jive. Oh, it is a mystery.

Jerry Lawler's official history of Savage's departure is that one night at Raw they couldn't find him anywhere, and as they were scrambling around looking for him, they turned on the TV and saw him...on NITRO. And that's the story of how the King became a WWE announcer!

Same timeline as when Andre died the next day after WM3, where Hulk slammed ALL 800 POUNDS OF HIM...OVER HIS HEAD, BROTHER. And was the one who won the WWE title from him that night.

Jerry Lawler's official history of Savage's departure is that one night at Raw they couldn't find him anywhere, and as they were scrambling around looking for him, they turned on the TV and saw him...on NITRO. And that's the story of how the King became a WWE announcer!

Which of course is impossible since Nitro hadn't started yet when Savage jumped.

I'm glad that Todd Grisham is not going to host the DVD, because that would have caused me to seriously consider not buying the DVD (and I'm not kidding here). But since he is not going to host the DVD (thank goodness), I'm going to buy this DVD regardless of what they put on it as I'm just happy there is going to be a Randy Savage DVD after all.

Anyway, I'm not sure this is going to be a 3-disc set. Originally, it was scheduled to be a 3-disc set to be released in November. But that was cancelled. Now there will be this DVD to be released on June 9. But I'm not sure it will be a 3-disc set and like some people have mentioned already, it will apparently not have a documentary part. Does anyone know if it has been confirmed whether or not this release will be a 3-disc set?

By the way, I hope they include a lot of his promos and interviews. The best thing would be two disc with matches and one disc with promos and interviews.

As much as I hate to buy into the Steph rumor, nothing else makes sense in their years-long refusal to deal with him. Obviously the fact that they've made a deal with him would take some credence away from that rumor. But in case Bix sees this, what exactly have you heard about this? You said that your sources in WWE believed it to be true, and I'm sure Randazzo has asked his sources (assuming they aren't the same people as yours), though whatever he's learned I'm sure he couldn't very well put it into his book. But that still doesn't make sense because the rumor as originally reported on DVDVR stated that Savage was fired due to Vince finding out about it, and he certainly talked about Savage fondly on Raw after he left, not to mention he was willing to take him back in '96, so it just doesn't all jive. Oh, it is a mystery.

The only thing that's for sure is that yes, a ton of people in the company believe it (the rumor was initially circulated online by people in the company), based largely on the idea that he must have done something really, REALLY bad for Vince to be so negative towards him. For the obvious reasons (Vince's classy announcement on Raw and it was well-known for awhile that Savage was unhappy with his spot, which has recently been backed up by Bret Hart's book), if it's true, I don't think that Vince knew at the time/there's any chance that Savage was fired for it. Personally, I tend agree with the reason for thinking that it's true but I have no idea if it's really what happened. At this point, the semi-official "he's too crazy to deal with" story doesn't ring true (it's wrestling, it's Vince, etc.) for even though he's surely pretty crazy.

Also, for what it's worth, I just took a look at Bret's book and as far as the jump, he said:

- Lanza told him that Savage drunkenly called Vince at 4 AM to let him know he signed w/ WCW.

- Vince and Lanza were very upset about the jump and were in tears after Bret said that he he'd was loyal to Vince after noting how he was the only real boss he ever had besides his dad.

Huh, I always thought it started on DVDVR (the "Wrestling Sleaze" thread was where I first heard it). And you'd think Vince would do something, you know, LEGALLY if it were true...but this is the head of the same company that originated the "wrestling court" concept and all and who believes that the on-screen product can be used for dishing out justice.

On the other hand, I can TOTALLY see him taking someone jumping to WCW as serious as if someone did something to his own family (he admits it himself in that Andre book, when he called Andre and told him how heartbroken he was that he appeared at Clash XX).

Anyway, the other thing to remember is Savage is like the Warrior in that he not only left but NEVER returned. I get what you all are trying to say about how it's different...but it still doesn't add up. And I am sure there are people in the company who'd say ANYTHING on a DVD or etc. if it meant their job.

What's weirder is that despite their bad blood, despite that DVD, they still make various Warrior action figures and whatnot. Until now, Savage hasn't gotten that distinction.

AND Sting has NEVER worked for the WWF/E at all, yet I have rarely heard of him getting buried. Like I said it just doesn't make any sense.

I wonder if it has anything to do with Savage asking too much for royalties. Of course I don't understand how royalties work especially when it relates to DVD releases vs. other things (i.e. 24/7 reruns)

All I know is that I friggin' hate politics. It ruined the current product for me (along with bad writing) and now I have to worry about it when they do anything old school.

Huh, I always thought it started on DVDVR (the "Wrestling Sleaze" thread was where I first heard it). And you'd think Vince would do something, you know, LEGALLY if it were true...but this is the head of the same company that originated the "wrestling court" concept and all and who believes that the on-screen product can be used for dishing out justice.

Wrestling court is hardly a WWE concept. Many professional locker rooms have unofficial kangaroo courts.

Wrestling court is hardly a WWE concept. Many professional locker rooms have unofficial kangaroo courts.

Aha. Thanks for calling me on that one.

Regarding Sting, WWE indicated interest in bringing him on board at one point, but Sting wanted to work a lighter schedule than what most WWE wrestlers work.

But if Sting ever did decide to go to WWE, Vince would take him without hesitation because he would believe he could make money off Sting.

As far as the planned DVD that got scrapped, that probably has to do with what WWE may believe are legal issues since Sting is currently under contract to TNA.

And Savage asking for a lot of money... I've heard those reports, but Hulk Hogan asks for a ton of money all the time and Vince brings him in, so I doubt money is the reason Vince wants nothing to do with Savage.

Anyway, I'm not sure this is going to be a 3-disc set. Originally, it was scheduled to be a 3-disc set to be released in November. But that was cancelled. Now there will be this DVD to be released on June 9. But I'm not sure it will be a 3-disc set and like some people have mentioned already, it will apparently not have a documentary part. Does anyone know if it has been confirmed whether or not this release will be a 3-disc set?

KOCH (WWE's official DVD distributor in Canada) has it listed as a 3-disc set:

http://www.kochcan.com/05_catalogue/videoi...tem=KOC-DV-9289