Pro Wrestling Only

Financial Screw UP's

Guest Kenta Batista

I would take 1995 WWF and 1990 AWA over summer of 99 WCW. I can't remember who had the book then. Was it still Nash? Wasn't this the time period where Bischoff took his daughter to Europe for making the honor roll?

That was in March and yeah, Bischoff went to France for an extended vacation and left Nash in charge. It seemed like as they were going down, more and more guys started to be around less. I can't think of a time after 1998 when Hogan, Savage, Hall, Nash, Sting, Luger, Flair, Goldberg, and Bret were all around at the same time.

Hogan was way overexposed in 1998, but in 1999, even when he was world champ at the beginning of the year, he wasn't consistently on Nitro, at least not out in front of the crowd. Lots of top guys really started taking extended absences around this time for various reasons, some legitimate and some just avoiding being a scapegoat.

Bischoff seemed to really check out around this time too. He seemed to content to let Nash run things into the ground.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Slickster

The only consistently good WCW programming in 1999-2000 was WCW Saturday Night because it existed in a parallel universe where Nitro/Thunder storylines didn't exist.

Heh, summer of '99. Over at TSM in our We Watch Shitty WCW club, we've learn to make the gesture of warding off the evil eye whenever the Summer Of Suck is mentioned. Despite plowing through all the top contenders for "worst show ever" like Bash '91 or Heroes of Wrestling or half the Thunders ever aired, we still unanimously agree that Bash At The Beach 1999 is easily the very worst show we've watched. The angles were so nonsensically simple that it wasn't Booking 101, it was Remedial Booking. And the entire roster was starting to get into that phase where damn near nobody gave the tiniest care about putting on a good performance.

The thing that bothers me the most about 1999 WCW was that you would generally have solid to great matches, but the booking of the matches and shows was just so frustrating. Either it was the heels dominating programs or stuff that was just plain silly.

Do I need to bring up "who drove the Hummer?" :)