Linda McMahon for Senate catch-all thread

• Please log in to reply
695 replies to this topic

#41 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43387 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:48 PM

I can honestly say after all this time that I still don't understand what role Linda played in the expansion of the WWF out of the Northeast, and what her day-to-day duties were prior to the company going public. Vince was securing TV deals, stealing syndication from territories, blocking other promotions out of buildings in the biggest markets, etc., so what was Linda doing? Saying she was "on the business side" when all of those transactions were "on the business side" doesn't really answer the question. I know her title, but I don't know her job.

#42 Strummer

Strummer
  • Members
  • 4067 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:53 PM

I know she ran the WWF Magazine in the 80s. I believe she even wrote (kayfabe) articles under an alias

#43 Bix

Bix
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 6237 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 05:17 PM

She bought a travel agency for the company to do business through and took on other clients for regulatory reasons.

#44 Ditch

Ditch
  • Members
  • 1704 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:42 PM

This little timeline is too precious: 1. Obama records a generic 'good job, men' message that can be played for the troops and used by a variety of sources. 2. WWE uses said message for the Tribute to the Troops show. 3. WWE claims that this is a ringing endorsement of the company by the administration. 4. Linda's campaign does likewise. 5. The administration politely smacks them down for the overreach.

#45 Bix

Bix
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 6237 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:14 PM

Meltzer said WWE issued a rebuttal press release claiming that they DID get a custom Obama clip via proper channels but I can't find it anywhere.

#46 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:33 PM

http://corporate.wwe.../2009_12_17.jsp

#47 kjh

kjh
  • Members
  • 3122 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:11 PM

3. WWE claims that this is a ringing endorsement of the company by the administration.

4. Linda's campaign does likewise.

Just what a Republican candidate wants!

#48 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:28 PM

Yeah... I don't know what she's thinking. John

#49 Bix

Bix
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 6237 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:34 PM

That press release is pretty funny. They don't deny that it's a generic clip.

#50 Dan

Dan
  • Members
  • 197 posts
  • Interests:History, politics, fake fighting.

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:02 PM

McMahon claims to be be the lead:

Linda now leads Rob in a head-to-head matchup, 37%-35%, and she holds at least 20-point leads in each of the all-important 3rd, 4th and 5th Congressional Districts.

Rob Simmons has yet to articulate a compelling argument for why voters should choose government experience over real-world business experience,

http://linda2010.com/blog_64.html

#51 Ditch

Ditch
  • Members
  • 1704 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:54 PM

Dodd's out: http://www.washingto...ml?hpid=topnews

#52 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43387 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:27 AM

Surely, there's a good Democrat somewhere in Connecticut, although we've seen little evidence of that nationally. What's Ned Lamont doing these days?

#53 Ditch

Ditch
  • Members
  • 1704 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:36 AM

Dodd already had a strong primary challenger, and I've seen plenty of analysis to say that Dodd was the more vulnerable of the two.

#54 Ditch

Ditch
  • Members
  • 1704 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:43 PM

Wow: http://realclearpoli...t-to-hold-seat/

So it's quixotic for all the GOP candidates.

#55 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 02:17 PM

Yeah, Nate Silver has been all over this:

http://www.fivethirt...-sidelines.html

Dodd's problems weren't that he was a "Dem" in that state. It's that he was "Dodd" and he's taking hits for the banking crisis and his longtime ties to them. Blumenthal is wildly popular. He'll beat this shit out of whoever gets nominated.

John

#56 Marty

Marty
  • Members
  • 2053 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 02:19 PM

Here's the PDF file in all its glory:

http://www.publicpol...T_106925424.pdf

Things are looking strong for Blumenthal, but it's not like Murphy is doing too shabby either (He has a lot to do to oust Blumenthal for the Dem nomination, but he's also stronger than any of the Rep nominations). Blumenthal is also doing VERY well with all age categories and ethnic categories too.

#57 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:19 PM

Chris Murphy is more likely to aim at (i) retaining his seat this year, and (ii) going after Lying Lieb in 2012 when Obama is back on the ticket. Murphy will be just 39 in 2012, which gives him the potential of: * long Senate career * picking his spot for a national run down the road To primary Dodd would have run up a bill, and left his attention away from getting re-elected to the House. Also, if Dodd was still in the race, he would have been swimming upstream of the DNC/DSCC Establishment that would have been solidly backing Dodd. Not something that Murphy at this point would want to risk. Dodd retiring was almost certainly to clear the field for Blumenthal, which is born out by how quickly Blumenthal announced his candidacy. In turn, one would expect the DNC/DSCC to fully back Murphy come 2012 against Lieb. If Lieb had "played nice" after his 2008 walkabout, one could see the DNC/DSCC walking the fine line like they're doing with Spector: i.e. officially backing Spector, but unofficially hoping Sestak wins the primary because he's short term more likely to beat Toomey and long term more likely to hold the seat (due to Spectors unpopularity and age/health). Since Lieb didn't play nice, and that 60 seat majority is at risk in 2010, it's much more certain that Lieb will be aggressively killed off in 2012. Murphy is likely just the candidate they'd like to run as a contrast to Lieb. John

#58 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43387 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:31 PM

Joe Lieberman's political universe falling apart as he prepares to transition to a career in big health will be the highlight of 2012.

#59 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 10272 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:57 PM

So either Linda gets trounced in the primaries, or gets trounced by Blumenthal in the main election. The question is, how does WWE spin it when she retreats back to the company?

#60 artDDP

artDDP
  • Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:27 PM

They'll just say that Linda earned so much percent of the vote despite only spending so much money, spinning it as a major gain for an "outsider" candidate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users