Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

On 8/19/2018 at 3:24 PM, El-P said:

The fact he can genuinely love pro-wrestling matches that much after more than 30 years of watching and covering it is actually a pretty refreshing thought. Better that than to be a salty mofo bitching and moaning about snowflakes on a weekly basis.

As you've pointed out, we rarely are on the same page. But here you go. Dave at his core is a wrestling fan. If he's so excited for wrestling that he starts throwing stars around like a ninja in a 1970's Saturday afternoon Kung Fu movie, then that's great. Good for him. Who cares, really ?  If that really bothers people, then just make your own star ratings. Wrestling is a performance. Everyone experiences it differently.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it's being obtuse. The reason why Dave Meltzer's ratings have weight is because of his audience. If you or me say a match is good or bad, no one gives a fuck. When Dave says it, even people within the industry hear it & sometimes it can alter performances. You have commentators on the biggest New Japan pro-wrestling Pay-Per-View shows mentioning Dave Meltzer by name & talking about his reviews live on the air. That's an entirely different sort of animal than someone on a message forum expressing an opinion. It's going to impact & influence opinion, which all one has to do is going read SquaredCircle on Reddit to see. You & I might be able to just dismiss his opinion as a difference in personal tastes but how many people read his opinion in a different way? He's a big influencer. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 22 août 2018 at 7:51 PM, Coffey said:

I think it's being obtuse. The reason why Dave Meltzer's ratings have weight is because of his audience. 

No one in Japan gives a flying fuck about Dave Meltzer. I bet 99% of the native New Japan audience doesn't know who the fuck he is. And New Japan still is a japanese promotion for a japanese audience above anything else. 

And as far as the english announcer mentionning Meltz's stuff, well I watched the entire G1 in English and I don't think they mentionned him more than twice or three times over a nineteen 3 hours events span. If they did more than that it flew over my head, really, it's not like they hammer you over the head with it either.

It's just silly at this point.

Eric posted a tweet that was something like "At All In, did anyone ask Dave Meltzer what steroids he uses?".

And then Dave/Wade subtweeted. I guess Dave gave more background on his board about Eric sat at a booth with no line, drinking gin and tonics while Dave/Bryan/Wade/Bruce had a never-ending line at the Starrcast Autograph signings.

17 hours ago, Beast said:

Eric posted a tweet that was something like "At All In, did anyone ask Dave Meltzer what steroids he uses?".

And then Dave/Wade subtweeted. I guess Dave gave more background on his board about Eric sat at a booth with no line, drinking gin and tonics while Dave/Bryan/Wade/Bruce had a never-ending line at the Starrcast Autograph signings.

Yeah, basically Eric got salty as fuck over not getting much action at the autograph signing and went into Trump mode on Twitter over it. 

The funny thing is, of literally anything you can try to accuse Dave of, steroids are one thing that shouldn't be even thought of. He's always been vocally anti-steroid, his work during the WWF drug trials were legendary, and just because he kept up his workout routine and maintains his guns people are all LOL DAVE USES ROIDS, 

This was inevitable.  With the insane revenue the company is bringing in now they can afford to give out huge pay days.  Probably the biggest ones in their history.  Even Shawn couldn't turn this down this time.  Plus the Saudi prince wants star names from the past and no one better fits the bill.  Who will Taker's partner be against HHH and Shawn?

Reminds me of a bit that Gabriel Iglesias did where his agent told him a Saudi Prince wanted him to do a show.  He told his agent to ask for a ridiculous amount of money thinking the Prince would never agree to it, only for his agent to come back saying "ridiculous just showed up".

They made a push to get Shawn for the last show, I'd almost guarantee that MBS or whoever probably just said "how much would it take" and then ridiculous showed up for HBK too. 

I hear that. 

But aside from giving into a return, it's the notion that the return is coming for the Saudi's WWE PR extravaganza #2. 

That whole deal is always going to leave a terrible taste in my mouth. 

I stopped watching WWE completely after WrestleMania and I don't see myself ever coming back the way its going. There's more than enough classic footage and shows on YouTube and I'm enjoying it.

10 hours ago, sek69 said:

Yeah, basically Eric got salty as fuck over not getting much action at the autograph signing and went into Trump mode on Twitter over it. 

The funny thing is, of literally anything you can try to accuse Dave of, steroids are one thing that shouldn't be even thought of. He's always been vocally anti-steroid, his work during the WWF drug trials were legendary, and just because he kept up his workout routine and maintains his guns people are all LOL DAVE USES ROIDS, 

Are there any pics of Dave's physique since that pic that went viral a few years ago? If he still looks like that, I'd be pretty confident in saying that he's at least on TRT, which is basically low-dose steroids that's prescribed by a doctor. Pretty much impossible to be that ripped at his age without some help.

4 hours ago, Beast said:

I shouldn't care, but it really bums me out that almost a decade retired (and steadfast against returning), Michaels would cave for a Saudi PR show. 

"Everybody's got a price for the Billion Dollar Men". 

I wonder if that would actually hurt his popularity in the US, not that it matters.

3 hours ago, El-P said:

"Everybody's got a price for the Billion Dollar Men". 

I wonder if that would actually hurt his popularity in the US, not that it matters.

Popularity as a NXT trainer? So long as he only shows up on TV 1-3 times a year, he'll always get a pop because it'll feel special.

No it’s just getting paid not “whoring”. I love the outrage about the saudis and their evil money ruining the nobility and purity of prowres rather than fighting spirit, penis druids and crossfit. I hope Shawn gets a fortune and Mohammad Bin Salman gets the Warrior award at the HOF next year.

Get out of the rasslin' bubble, it has nothing to do with fucking pro-wrestling. It's about getting paid to basically do PR work for a regime which stones "unfaithful" women to death and kills homosexuals. Newsflash : money isn't everything in life.

(why am I even responding to this usual trolling act anyway ?)

Unpopular opinion: I would've approached Bischoff's table (especially if it was empty and therefore more convenient for me) and wouldn't have bothered with Dave/Bryan. This is not meant to be a knock against them - I respect their work - I guess I just don't see the big deal in getting a sheet writer's autograph. (Granted, I think autographs in general are pretty stupid and pointless, but for the sake of this hypothetical, we'll pretend I care about them.)

I don't believe the HBK rumors, BTW. Maybe I'm wrong, but all of this (IMO) is simply to give an HHH-Taker match a reason to exist in 2018.