Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, King of Debt said:

Dave Meltzer understands a reasonable amount of professional wrestling. The rest, he will never get, and arguably will never try to.

I wonder what will happen re: wrestling journalism when he inevitably puts the pen down, though

I have wondered how long he'll keep going for.  He's sixty this year, is he just going to keep working until he drops?

2 hours ago, GSR said:

I have wondered how long he'll keep going for.  He's sixty this year, is he just going to keep working until he drops?

There was an interview from a few years ago where he insinuated that's what would happen, he said something along the lines of not stopping because he still feels completely fine and has no interest in slowing down.

20 hours ago, King of Debt said:

Dave Meltzer understands a reasonable amount of professional wrestling. The rest, he will never get, and arguably will never try to.

I wonder what will happen re: wrestling journalism when he inevitably puts the pen down, though

The main thing would be format. I think you'd get various people doing reports and reviews as we see now but the newsletter format might disappear with Dave.

On 8/4/2019 at 8:18 PM, ButchReedMark said:

Would Bill Apter count as a major wrestling journalist? Worked as it all was.

Yes, he was recognized with the James C. Melby Award for wrestling journalists and historians. What I find amazing is how underrated Apter is now on all the forums I frequent. His influence was paramount on shaping views and promoting workers, and he had one of the early famous websites in 1997- 1Wrestling. Yes, he was the most respected "outsider". But he has always been active and conducts interviews on his podcast and YT channel, but for some reason Meltzer is mentioned 1 million times more and seen as relevant/an authority. He's treated like MAD Magazine, with people only having memories of his 1980s PWI family of mags, but he has a larger body of work all over the net and other mags.

The best part? He's a warm, sensitive human being who loves wrestling and the workers. His worst sin was working us as kids and promoting wrestlers who he liked or paid him to be on the cover or whatever with money, access, or a chance to be on TV. It sounds a lot more insidious than it really was. It's rasslin'. I leaned heavily on his work before the net and frankly WON's typeset and price were inferior. Invaluable.

Going back to Simon Gotch, that dude has just became so... boring. I don't think he was ever brought up when talking about good workers or anything but he at least used to stand out a little bit with the Vaudevillain stuff. Once he shaved off the mustache, he had nothing left. And that's coming from someone that LOVES Cradle Piledrivers. He's not a great promo or worker & feels like the least interesting member of CONTRA. So putting all those things together, I'm sure Dave has not had a lot of great things to say about him in the past, so he probably holds a grudge over something that we have all long since forgotten.

31 minutes ago, Coffey said:

Going back to Simon Gotch, that dude has just became so... boring. I don't think he was ever brought up when talking about good workers or anything but he at least used to stand out a little bit with the Vaudevillain stuff. Once he shaved off the mustache, he had nothing left

Word. He was fun as Tom Lawlor seconds acting like a tough guy. He has totally sucked in the latest Contra matches (and looking worse than Josef Samael takes some will to suck, really), not to mention his now flabby looking body. Poor work, dull look, boring promos. He has become a total waste of time.

6 minutes ago, Dale Wolfe said:

Gotch has had it in for meltzer since he got his head kicked in by sin cara a couple of years ago. Dave reported it as completely one-sided, gotch maintained he got his digs in, and the resentment kept growing. 

I'm almost ashamed that I know this to be honest but it's the truth. 

Holy crap I completely forgot about that entire catering fight.  That would explain all of this honestly.

19 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Gotch's only contribution of note to the business was that "Simon Gotch buries Enzo Amore" clip that ended up in the recommended videos feed of seemingly everyone who ever watched anything wrestling-related on Youtube.

If we're being honest, well yes.

Gotch is also very thin skinned, a vanity-searching blocker on Twitter. I'm blocked for mentioning - without tagging him - that I'd watched a show on IWTV where he was on the poster, but not on the actual show. You'd think being one of the few people to own a Vaudevillians t-shirt would earn me a reprieval 

2 hours ago, sek69 said:

Worst people on wrestling Twitter*: vanity searchers or people who tag-snitch in conversations trying to rope someone famous in to an argument?

(*obviously the racists and whatnot are the real worst)

People do that with Dave by tagging Conrad for some reason and it's some of the most cringeworthy stuff possible.

On 8/7/2019 at 7:08 PM, War is Raw said:

Yes, he was recognized with the James C. Melby Award for wrestling journalists and historians. What I find amazing is how underrated Apter is now on all the forums I frequent. His influence was paramount on shaping views and promoting workers, and he had one of the early famous websites in 1997- 1Wrestling. Yes, he was the most respected "outsider". But he has always been active and conducts interviews on his podcast and YT channel, but for some reason Meltzer is mentioned 1 million times more and seen as relevant/an authority. He's treated like MAD Magazine, with people only having memories of his 1980s PWI family of mags, but he has a larger body of work all over the net and other mags.

The best part? He's a warm, sensitive human being who loves wrestling and the workers. His worst sin was working us as kids and promoting wrestlers who he liked or paid him to be on the cover or whatever with money, access, or a chance to be on TV. It sounds a lot more insidious than it really was. It's rasslin'. I leaned heavily on his work before the net and frankly WON's typeset and price were inferior. Invaluable.

Bill wasn't part of 1Wrestling at launch or even for the first several years. He's also the first to say he had very little editorial oversight of the magazines.

• 2 weeks later...