Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

8 hours ago, FMKK said:

I've literally never seen anyone cheer in a movie theatre.

Me neither

Then again, the move-going culture in Europe (not to mention France) is probably insanely different from the US.

(that being said, I did go "oh ! Jeff Jarrett !" in my mind when he popped up at the beginning of Spring Breakers, which is one of the most bizarre cameo you could think of)

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, sek69 said:

Somehow Dave mentioning that Roman's cameo in the Hobbs and Shaw movie got no recognizable reaction ended up with UK people trying to educate him on the proper etiquette of British Cinema.

*shrugs* Twitter, man.

I don't know how Dave puts up with everything on that platform.  

The day before the big thing he had to deal with was Kenny Omega's supposed MMA record and how Dave apparently doesn't/won't talk about it because Kenny lost fights.  

Dave explains that he's spoken to Omega about this in the past and Kenny told him that he's never had any fights, Kenny doesn't know where this 'fight record' of his came from and only did some amateur grappling contests and then decided against it.  This leads to folks quoting interviews saying Dave is wrong but which actually back up what Dave said, and then talking about worked 'shootfight' wrestling matches against Dan Severn and claiming they're real.  Sherdog's records got mentioned and he explains how they're are an awful lot of worked fights (Rings etc) included and not to be trusted, but again not good enough.

I'm sure Twitter is good for business, but I'd have ditched it years ago if I got 0.0001% of the abuse, trolling, insults and idiocy he gets.

3 hours ago, El-P said:

Me neither

Then again, the move-going culture in Europe (not to mention France) is probably insanely different from the US.

(that being said, I did go "oh ! Jeff Jarrett !" in my mind when he popped up at the beginning of Spring Breakers, which is one of the most bizarre cameo you could think of)

I'm in the U.S. and have seen tons of movies, and I've never once seen anyone cheer for a cameo or anything else.

At most, I've seen people on rare occasions clap at the end of certain movies - which is also stupid IMO - but that's different from what Dave is incessantly babbling about on Twitter.

P.S. Speaking of Jeff Jarrett cameos, there's a fun wrestling one - with Jerry Lawler - in the Michael J. Fox movie "Life With Mikey."

Was he expecting people in the theater to yell out "THE BIG DAWG" like Cole does every week on Raw or something?

The only time you ever get loud audible reactions in movies is during opening night to stuff like Star Wars or comic book films when the theater is full of fan boys who have been waiting for the movie to come out.

Other times you may get laughs, jump scares, or the occasional reaction to a giant OH SHIT moment (and Roman Reigns appearing on screen doesn't come close to Cap picking up the fucking hammer!) but that's it.

What a stupid talking point.

7 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

People are getting hung up on semantics. Popping doesn't mean standing up and cheering. It means any kind of audible reaction. I haven't been to the movies in years, but when I saw X-Men: First Class, the audience popped when Kevin Bacon appeared on the screen for the first time.

Yeah this. People still react to surprise cameos.  When I saw 21 Jump Street there was a collective gasp when Depp showed up when no one was expecting it "Pop" is probably the wrong word to use in this situation as it's not always a huge cheer but a genuine surprise reaction

is laughing at a comedy the same thing as "popping"? :)

32 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Dave has no one to blame but himself if anyone is in fact "misunderstanding" him. Most of his tweets are unintelligible gibberish. Hire an editor!

Seems every week there's a "what I think Dave was trying to say" topic that blows up on Twitter or the IWC.

1.- Dave says something which can be interpreted in different ways or that it can't be fully understood because he can't get his point across.

2.- People get pissed or just troll him because they want to prove a (mostly biased) point.

3.- Dave responds, which leads to more fuckery

4.- All hell breaks loose.

Rinse and repeat, every single time.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave on Twitter is doubling down on the argument that the Young Bucks/Lucha Brothers ladder match should have gone last based on the crowd reaction. I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous.  You simply can't allow the crowning of your inaugural world champion to play second fiddle to another company's tag titles if you want the belt to mean anything. If the world title match was overshadowed that badly by a ladder spotfest, then the wrong people were in it.

1 hour ago, NintendoLogic said:

Dave on Twitter is doubling down on the argument that the Young Bucks/Lucha Brothers ladder match should have gone last based on the crowd reaction. I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous.  You simply can't allow the crowning of your inaugural world champion to play second fiddle to another company's tag titles if you want the belt to mean anything. If the world title match was overshadowed that badly by a ladder spotfest, then the wrong people were in it.

I wouldn’t have been surprised if Omega/Moxley had gone on last.

38 minutes ago, goodhelmet said:

This hasn't been mentioned but if that was the case, the ladder match shouldn't have been booked. If they wanted the world title to be the peak of the show, don't book another match that has the potential to upstage it. 

Plenty of other shows have managed to have hot ladder matches AND a hot main event. I think the problem here is that they didn't have a hot main event as opposed to a ladder match that was too hot.

4 hours ago, FMKK said:

Plenty of other shows have managed to have hot ladder matches AND a hot main event. I think the problem here is that they didn't have a hot main event as opposed to a ladder match that was too hot.

They also could have put some distance between the ladder match and the main event - Cody-Spears or Pac-Omega could have gone there, and kept the momentum going without needing to be as *spectacular* as the ladder match.

Tbh, having watched the show, I thought the Page vs Jericho match was good and the crowd was fine. Not as loud as what went before, which is obviously a disappointment, but you'd think they were sitting on their hands or turning on the match from the way people were making it out. Doesn't even matter now anyway because Jericho has got 'Little Bit Of The Bubbly' over as a new phrase and the whole lost belt ridiculousness.