Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

6 hours ago, Edwin said:

If WrestleMania crowds tank, then there's a high chance the crowds for these indy shows will be less as well which the point I was trying to make.

It's not really Wrestlemania per se, it's a weekend in which there's a ton of people gathered in one place. AEW shows were great for indies as well. Those weekends get indies extra shows to make money on, and they probably could have survived this if they'd been able to actually run locally in the six months that followed.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I actually like the explanation he once gave, I can't remember where or when, whereby 5 stars was a top-three MOTYC and 4.5 was top-ten. I think 4 stars was "really fucking good" (paraphrasing there). Seems about right to me. It puts a theoretical handbrake on tossing out stars like rice at a wedding. 

Just now, WingedEagle said:

Has anyone picked up either the '97 or '93 Yearbooks that were recently released?  They look interesting but I can't tell if there's any original content or if they're just reprints of every Observer from the particular year.

I haven't, but from what I gather there is no original content (I doubt Dave would have the time for starters).  They're not reprints of every Observer, rather major stories/articles for the year put into some sort of chronological order.  As an example, for '97, the Montreal Screw Job would have been written about over numerous issues, the articles from all the issues that talked about the Screw Job, the fallout etc., have then been put into chronological order, so you can follow how the story develops, to form one chapter of the book.

6 hours ago, GSR said:

I haven't, but from what I gather there is no original content (I doubt Dave would have the time for starters).  They're not reprints of every Observer, rather major stories/articles for the year put into some sort of chronological order.  As an example, for '97, the Montreal Screw Job would have been written about over numerous issues, the articles from all the issues that talked about the Screw Job, the fallout etc., have then been put into chronological order, so you can follow how the story develops, to form one chapter of the book.

Thanks, that makes sense.  Not sure there's any value there given I've got all the Observers from that time period.

Dave's mom passed away today at age 91. He has mentioned before how tough it's been since she was living in a nursing facility since before COVID and because of that he didn't get to see much of her in what turned out to be her last year. The brief bio he wrote details a mother who supported him wholeheartedly even if him starting a pro wrestling newsletter wasn't the career she envisioned for him. 

Can only imagine how tough it has been for him. My grandmother has been in a nursing home since August and I haven't seen her in a year other than the occasional Facetime call. Her health is slowly starting to decline and I wish I could see her more often so I definitely empathize with Dave on his loss here.

On 12/18/2020 at 9:41 PM, Dav'oh said:

I actually like the explanation he once gave, I can't remember where or when, whereby 5 stars was a top-three MOTYC and 4.5 was top-ten. I think 4 stars was "really fucking good" (paraphrasing there). Seems about right to me. It puts a theoretical handbrake on tossing out stars like rice at a wedding. 

"Briefly, a dud match is one without any redeeming social value. Five stars is for something stupendous. I may see eight or nine five star matches per year. A negative rating means not only was the match worthless, but obnoxiously bad. 0.5 is for a terrible match, but at least there was a high spot or something. 1 is a bad match, 1.5 is below average but tolerable; 2 average, 2.5 kind of good; 3 Quite good; 3.5 almost great; 4 excellent; 4.5 better than you can ask for."

12 hours ago, SirEdger said:

Can only imagine how tough it has been for him. My grandmother has been in a nursing home since August and I haven't seen her in a year other than the occasional Facetime call. Her health is slowly starting to decline and I wish I could see her more often so I definitely empathize with Dave on his loss here.

He said the hardest part was seeing his mom having to stay in one place when his parents traveled the world well into their 80s. He also talked abouit her recovering from knee and hip replacements faster than doctors expected so she could get back to what she wanted to do, so clearly he inherited his crazy legendary work ethic from her. 

• 1 month later...

Is that the same story where he and his girlfriend got into an argument after Hogan appeared on the Arsenio Hall Show and she smashed a banana in his face? So then when they broke up, Meltzer fantasy booked himself getting his receipt?

Or is there another banana story he's been holding out on us?

It started with Dave and Bryan talking about Brian Caraway the MMA fighter stealing an ATV from his ex, Miesha Tate. Dave with his dry sense of humour asked Bryan if he would ever steal something from his ex, cuz Dave wouldn't. Bryan said "Except for bananas" and Dave got indignant and said "NO, those were MY bananas" and said it happened on the day he broke up with her, but before they broke up, and said "She smashed one on my head first, not in a violent way, more in a joking way, and I smashed one back, also in a joking way" Not sure if this happened the same day when Hogan got on the Hall show but now I am really hoping these are two separate stories with two different exes, cuz it makes the whole thing even more hilarious 

I love when Meltz and Alvarez just debate in the most matter-of-fact-ish, deadpan way ever of the most absurd things, like when they were talking about that 1000 years old woman in NXT, with Meltz going on about it's surprising because they usually go toward the youth factor for women, Alvarez not believing anyone could actually live that long and Meltz replying that "Mathusalem was about 900 years old but I always thought it was a work", without even blinking or sounding remotely amused about what they are discussing. Deadpan Meltzer can be really funny as hell.