Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread 2010-2011

Loss

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On that writer on Keith's blog, he's just awful. He's like Bryan Alvarez, in that it's impossible to have an argument with him, but unlike Alvarez, he's terrible at articulating his points and seems more interested in getting himself over than trying to write something that's at least decent.

According to PWI Punk is dating Beth Phoenix. Phoenix moving to RAW might have been to appease him

btw, watching some old OVW on you tube and my God was Beth smoking hot back then. She had the look that they love and was great as a ditzy/naive sex pot blonde. I have no idea why they wanted her to change her look that drastically. The female terminator gimmick was effective but I enjoy her OVW gimmick and Santino stuff much more

watching some old OVW on you tube and my God was Beth smoking hot back then. She had the look that they love and was great as a ditzy/naive sex pot blonde. I have no idea why they wanted her to change her look that drastically. The female terminator gimmick was effective but I enjoy her OVW gimmick and Santino stuff much more

Funny, I popped in a DVD the other day and both of those thoughts were going through my head. How hot Beth was. And how Stevens as the modern day Jimmy Garvin with two valets would seem perfect for RAW.

watching some old OVW on you tube and my God was Beth smoking hot back then. She had the look that they love and was great as a ditzy/naive sex pot blonde. I have no idea why they wanted her to change her look that drastically. The female terminator gimmick was effective but I enjoy her OVW gimmick and Santino stuff much more

Funny, I popped in a DVD the other day and both of those thoughts were going through my head. How hot Beth was. And how Stevens as the modern day Jimmy Garvin with two valets would seem perfect for RAW.

Stevens was me and my college pals absolute favorite indy wrestler in 2000. We'd go to actually quite bad indy shows specifically to laugh our heads off at his antics. How he had the pointless WWE run he did (and if he gets called up as Damien Sandow, will probably have another) is beyond me.

Anyone remember an interview Chris Candido did where he talked about how he'd rather be Doug Somers than Hulk Hogan? I thought he said it in his interview with Larry Goodman but that wasn't it and I can't find the interview where he said it.

So did we ever find out exactly what is going on with Nigel McGuiness/Desmond Wolfe?

I was always a fan of his work in Ring of Honor, and while I don't care much for TNA, I was keeping up with his work there as well. Then all of a sudden they kayfabed that story about him playing soccer to cover up an injury or something, then they said he was coming back, then he never came back. So yeah, did I just miss something, or what?

Guest kowking

So did we ever find out exactly what is going on with Nigel McGuiness/Desmond Wolfe?

I was always a fan of his work in Ring of Honor, and while I don't care much for TNA, I was keeping up with his work there as well. Then all of a sudden they kayfabed that story about him playing soccer to cover up an injury or something, then they said he was coming back, then he never came back. So yeah, did I just miss something, or what?

Everyone is skirting around whatever's wrong with him. I really want to know.

http://www.rspwfaq.com

But, no, there's no reason to go at all. It's not even him that posts on wrestling all that much, so you don't even get the possibility of fun stuff like Tim Cooke dissecting his Eddy-JBL review.

Honestly that was the only good thing to ever come out of his blog. Not so much Tim's dissection, but the fact that he only put it out there just to show that Tim was some kind of goof and it backfired huge.

The latest rumor is that he's got Hepatitis C. Which would actually explain the whole problem, and why TNA is so goddamn secretive about it. But keep in mind that there's been plenty of other Hep C talk recently (Waltman, Abdullah, Ian Rotten) so this might just be a copycat story.

Guest kowking

The latest rumor is that he's got Hepatitis C. Which would actually explain the whole problem, and why TNA is so goddamn secretive about it. But keep in mind that there's been plenty of other Hep C talk recently (Waltman, Abdullah, Ian Rotten) so this might just be a copycat story.

If Hep C stopped a wrestler from wrestling, well, the business would die, wouldn't it?

It's been one of the most closely-guarded secrets of da biz that a lot of wrestlers are rumored to have this hepatitis. Apparently it's a tougher virus to kill in open air than something like AIDS, and easier to contract in such situations like a double-juice match (or possibly, a lot of the boys all fucking the same rats, though sexual transmission is more rare). And since it often causes no symptoms at all in some carriers, lots of people can have the disease and never know it; meanwhile, others can die from it.

It's not just in America, either; I've heard it claimed that Juventud has it, and don't forget that this was the disease that ruined Jumbo's career. Along similar lines, in Japan hepatitis is sometimes known as "the Yakuza disease" because of the gang members frequently contracting it during their extensive tattooing, and the yakuza and wrestling have long had a somewhat shadowy but definite connection.

And hey, remember the weird situation in the WWE five years back, where suddenly a bunch guys were all yanked off a Smackdown PPV for unstable liver enzymes or something weird like that? It was Lashley, Khali, and a couple of others I'm forgetting. Guess what hepatitis's primary symptom is. Yep, unnatural liver functions. Not saying that the WWE would knowingly employ Hep carriers as active wrestlers, that's a strong charge to make, but it's an awfully weird coincedence.

Can anyone tell me what the relationship between Bill Watts's Mid-South promotion and Paul Boesch's Houston promotion was?

My impression watching the MS set is that Watts had just bought it and was simply using Boesch as an on-air talent whenever they went to the Sam Houston Coliseum, but that doesn't seem right.

It's been one of the most closely-guarded secrets of da biz that a lot of wrestlers are rumored to have this hepatitis. Apparently it's a tougher virus to kill in open air than something like AIDS, and easier to contract in such situations like a double-juice match (or possibly, a lot of the boys all fucking the same rats, though sexual transmission is more rare). And since it often causes no symptoms at all in some carriers, lots of people can have the disease and never know it; meanwhile, others can die from it.

It's not just in America, either; I've heard it claimed that Juventud has it, and don't forget that this was the disease that ruined Jumbo's career. Along similar lines, in Japan hepatitis is sometimes known as "the Yakuza disease" because of the gang members frequently contracting it during their extensive tattooing, and the yakuza and wrestling have long had a somewhat shadowy but definite connection.

And hey, remember the weird situation in the WWE five years back, where suddenly a bunch guys were all yanked off a Smackdown PPV for unstable liver enzymes or something weird like that? It was Lashley, Khali, and a couple of others I'm forgetting. Guess what hepatitis's primary symptom is. Yep, unnatural liver functions. Not saying that the WWE would knowingly employ Hep carriers as active wrestlers, that's a strong charge to make, but it's an awfully weird coincedence.

At least officially, Jumbo had Hep B.

Steroids (and HGH IIRC) can cause elevated liver enzymes and were believed to be the cause of Lashley, Khali, and Super Crazy's issues.

I'm sure there are a lot more guys with Hep C than we're aware of (including from needle sharing at some points, as Dr. Zahorian testified during the McMahon trial that he started including needles with each batch of injectable drugs when a wrestler mentioned sharing needles) and it seems like WWE is being diligent about it, so I dunno how much of an issue it would be there.

Can anyone tell me what the relationship between Bill Watts's Mid-South promotion and Paul Boesch's Houston promotion was?

My impression watching the MS set is that Watts had just bought it and was simply using Boesch as an on-air talent whenever they went to the Sam Houston Coliseum, but that doesn't seem right.

This requires a lot of background:

Through the mid to late '60s, the booking office for the NWA Texas territory (which included all of the the towns that weren't part of of the Doc Sarpolis/Dory Funk Sr. west Texas territory based out of the Amarillo Booking Office) was Morris Sigel's Texas Wrestling Agency in Houston, which was booked by Paul Boesch. In 1966, Dallas promoter Ed McLemore broke away to form the Dallas Booking Office, taking some of the Houston talent with him. This was the second time he broke away. In December 1952, he broke away, but things didn't go well, as among other things, Sigel had booker Jack Pfefer threatened and someone set fire to the Sportatorium. He went back with Sigel in 1954. In 1966, things worked out better because Fritz Von Erich was his partner and they got the KTVT contract in their name. KTVT had a huge reach so that scared the Funks in Amarillo and Leroy McGuirk in Oklahoma into not getting involved. Fritz was close with Sam Muchnick and Jim Barnett, so he had the political power to keep them in the NWA. So the NWA had two competing offices for a few months. McLemore had signed a contract saying only Houston wrestlers could appear at the Sportatorium, so the Dallas office moved to the Bronco Bowl while the Houston office was in the Sportatorium. Sigel died three months into the war and Boesch bought out his wife. Not long after that, he gave in, became just the promoter in Houston, and the Dallas office became the official booking office for non-west Texas. From this point on, Houston was not its own promotion, just a major city promoted by a guy who gave great payoffs, and getting on the Houston card was key to making money in Texas.

In October 1978, Joe Blanchard of south Texas pulled out of the booking office to form Southwest Championship Wrestling (a non-NWA promotion), with some guys, mainly those who lived locally, moving over to work for him full time. In December 1980, after 14 years of being annoyed by having the office he felt he was due being taken over from him, Boesch switched to using SWCW as his booking office and lost the ability to book the NWA champion. At this point, his TV show was no longer just Houston footage (Houston, San Antonio, and Dallas/Fort Worth all had separate TV shows before the splits) and aired a mix of Blanchard's TV and Houston matches (this became the format with other offices as well later on). Meanwhile, the Dallas office competed with Blanchard in south Texas and when the Amarillo Booking Office closed, they took over there and became the Texas booking office. In 1982, Boesch switched to using Mid-South as his booking office. It was officially a non-NWA promotion but he was on better terms with the NWA and did end up using Flair as you're probably aware of. At first, Boesch still booked Bockwinkel as world champion, presumably because Bockwinkel was tight with him and had points in the office. Watts ended up making a deal with Fritz to share some talent, with World Class guys coming into Mid-South from time to time, especially on major shows and in Houston, and Mid-South guys coming into Dallas for exposure on the syndicated WCCW show and the wide-reaching local KTVT show.

In 1986, looking to take over Texas as part of expanding nationally as the UWF, Watts took Fritz's booker Ken Mantell and much of his roster. In the Fall, B-show Power Pro Wrestling, which had usually consisted of Jim Ross in a studio throwing to various matches (old and new house show matches, old TV matches, exclusive matches from TV tapings, matches from other territories with new wrestlers coming in, etc) was changed to a similar format as the main UWF show (taped in Tulsa every other week) and taped at the Cowtown Coliseum in Fort Wort (Fritz's old building before crowds increased to the point he moved into the larger Will Rogers Coliseum with the Tarrant County Convention Center used for bigger shows) every other week. After a year of a failed expansion, Watts sells to Crockett. He didn't tell Boesch, who was so angry he switched to using the WWF as his booking office. It didn't work out well and he retired a few months later. In 1988, he wasn't the official promoter but he helped Crockett out when JCP came to Houston, and they got some Houston Wrestling specials on local TV. A year later, Boesch was dead.

Wow, thanks that's fascinating.

So just a few questions from that:

1. When you say "his TV show was no longer just Houston footage", do you mean he had a TV show that would show anything that went down at the Sportatorium? (or anywhere else in Houston) And if so, how often was this show on TV?

2. When you say that Boesch "booked from X office", do you mean he booked Houston-based shows using that promotion's roster of talent? Presumably he'd be getting a cut of the gate each time, right? Just seems a really strange set up to me.

3. With Boesch switching from promotion to promotion for his booking office, does this mean he was sort of a "promoter for hire"? Like if a company wanted to run shows in Houston, they had to do it through him? What would have happened if they just booked a venue without him?

I think the reason why they are so goddamn secretive about it is because they allowed someone to wrestle with a medical condition for ten months that caused his job offer from WWE to be rescinded. I think WWE will have been a lot more vigilant about blood borne diseases ever since the incident where The Undertaker found out that Bob Orton had Hepatitis C after their Hell In A Cell match where he and both Ortons bladed.

1. Houston ran out of the Sam Houston Coliseum. Like with the other major cities in the territory, the weekly major house show was the weekly TV taping. Houston TV was from the Coliseum. Dallas/Ft. Worth TV was just matches from the Ft. Worth house show aired on KTVT (eventually a TV Title defended in 2/3 falls matches was added so they could have a dark match main event). San Antonio TV was just the weekly house show. When Boesch hooked up with Blanchard, the show became a mix of the regular Southwest show (which eventually stopped being the house show footage) and Houston house show matches. Same with Mid-South/UWF and the WWF, which is why they taped all of those Houston shows in '87.

2 & 3. As Gary Hart explained in his book, there were two types of promoters: Those who had booking offices (think Vince McMahon, Bill Watts, Jim Barnett, Eddie Graham) and those who had towns. Boesch went from having a booking office to having a town and Fritz did the opposite. Boesch after 1966 was just a more involved version of people like the Murnicks and Henry Marcus in Crockett's territory, Fred Ward in Georgia, etc. They were the local promoters in their towns. Boesch was obviously more visible as the announcer and whatnot, plus he liked booking outside talent on his shows. Later on, when he had issues with a booking office, he'd switch. Eventually, the Tunneys also did this in Toronto which wasn't really a full time territory, just Maple Leaf Gardens, Buffalo NY,and the TV tapings in Brantford. After the Whipper Watson era, they used The Sheik's crew, then a mix, then Crockett with some WWF and AWA stars from time to time, then just Crockett and the and Canadian crew which included Bret Hart as Buddy Hart at the end, then the WWF.